The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

AS A FOOTBALLER A VERY TALENTED PLAYER. AS A SHIRE " OFFICIAL " ONE OF THE BEST & A MOST APPROACHABLE MANAGER WHO WOULD ALWAYS HAPPILY TALK TO THE FANS AT FUNCTIONS OR AFTER GAMES & LIKE JIMMY McN BELIEVED U ONLY NEED TO SCORE ONE MORE GOAL THAN THE OPPOSITION TO WIN THE GAME . 1-0 IS THE SAME AS 7-6. BUT 7-6 IS PROBABLY MORE EXCITING & WILL BE RECOLLECTED DECADES LATER !!!! RIP & CONDOLENCES TO ALL HIS FAMILY & FRIENDS😥😥😥  only 56yo

Edited by MAC THE KNIFE

Mac doesn't see very well hence he capitalises everything. 

Anyway Sludden was a cracking striker. It must have been exciting times to watch Ally McLeod's team win the Second Division back then. 

Interestingly St Johnstone were runners up to Ayr and Alex Totten wasn't exactly a defence minded manager either.

So what are we left with ? If they all sign again (I doubt McCowan and Walsh will) we should have around a dozen . So six or seven new guys ? Not an impossible task . Four or five new first team starters , the majority of that winners and leaders at their last club . Plenty of clues there . If it’s a 5-3-2 we are talking about , then the new club captain may slide in at sweeper , behind Aero and Baird , they’ll need to be a fourth central defender as cover , maybe a rookie . Two keepers , one a rookie I’d say . Maybe an additional full back to cover or replace our two young boys . That’s four players right there . The next two or three are obvious , centre forward , with goals and an all court central midfielder , maybe two . 

I don’t think out and out wingers are Hoppy’s thing , think he prefers wing backs bombing forward and three in central midfield . So I doubt Walsh and McCowan have been given platinum offers . That money will be kept for keeper , sweeper centre mid and centre forward . Like somebody said earlier the spine .

2 hours ago, Robbo63 said:

Agree with you on that , hopefully working with Hopkins signings they play to the potential they have ( didn’t show much season just past) would cost too much money to end their contracts, and I believe they have more to give and being in last season of contract they will contribute more to either get a contract for following season or to put themselves in the shop window for other clubs , McCowan is a strange one , we go on about how good he is but no team has showed any interest in him so far , you would have thought there would be rumours but not hearing anything around club of him leaving 

As per usual, with a player of his calibre, he’ll slag away to a Dundee United or Livi. Best case scenario is he’ll sign for a year and then do the former

Surely there’s ways and means of getting rid of a player on a contract, how many times have you heard ‘been told to find a new club not in the managers plans’, think we all expected someone to be made an example of given what we’ve been told. 

McCowan has a bright future in the game, this season has probably stunted his growth slightly but he could do a job in the lower half of the premiership. The sad thing about last season is that none of the youth players broke through like previous years. 

Smith and Hewitt didn't get much of a run in one of the worst performing teams we had in the last decade. Crawford and Forrest broke through because of a shite squad previously, As did Tiffoney.  With the reserve league being canned, it probably killed off a generation of 18 - 20 year olds development.

As I said in an earlier post, we lost the ‘cement’ that held everything together with the likes of Adams, Bell, Geggan & Doch.

Maybe the gaffer sees those retained as needing that cement added to them and can produce a decent team. On paper it’s not unrealistic.

4 new players, all winners, all ‘captains’ that will take no slackers or shite on the pitch is what we need.

Not sure why anyone expected players under contract to be released yesterday.

Would be surprised if any player agreed to rip up their 2 year contract when the season isn't even over for everyone and they won't likely sign for anyone else until June/July. The other option of the club paying up a years worth isn't exactly sensible when you can pay them for a couple of months and hope they find a new club themselves for next season.

Only recent player I can remember leaving with a year left was Harkins and that wasn't announced until June when he already had his move to Morton lined up.

I agree with this comment but it is critical that the ones he can get in are the right type and players he trusts hence Jacobs at Morton and the goalie at Morton will be high on his list. The players on the two year contracts are easy sorted, no wage increment and reward the ones who he trusts with a wage rise, the players not on a wage rise will be actively looking for a club and moving on if they can, failing that we are stuck with them.

1 hour ago, GaryMc93 said:

Not sure why anyone expected players under contract to be released yesterday.

You're making a bit of an assumption here.

I don't think anyone expected them to be released. However, a statement along the lines of discussions continue with under contract players or such would have left it open. As it reads it seems they are all being retained which is counter to what was mooted a couple of weeks back.

You are right it would be madness to tear up a contract and pay them off. You can still find a home for them at other clubs. No-one was actually suggesting the club pay them off though. 

I'd suspect anyone they might be looking to offload may be told they can find a new club, and as and when they do it'll announced. Surely few players at this level would be happy to shitebag it and run down a contract without any game time.

Not sure how many that may apply to. Going by the end of the season, Murdoch's limited minutes may suggest Hopkik doesnt fancy him. But then again, Murdoch is a good player that was coming back from a horrible injury. Houston played quite a bit towards the end of the season and may improve, Reading was much better as well. Chalmers maybe?

1 hour ago, Lochwood said:

I agree with this comment but it is critical that the ones he can get in are the right type and players he trusts hence Jacobs at Morton and the goalie at Morton will be high on his list. The players on the two year contracts are easy sorted, no wage increment and reward the ones who he trusts with a wage rise, the players not on a wage rise will be actively looking for a club and moving on if they can, failing that we are stuck with them.

Any players under contract and seemed surplus to requirements will be told they won't get much game time and to find a club. Your suggestion would lead to division and could possibly be illegal, depending on the contract.