The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

6 minutes ago, third lanark said:

Zanatta was appalling at Firhill- terrible attitude and looked completely uninterested at Firhill.  
am I right in guessing that he was like this with Ayr too

Yup, somebody in a coma would have put in more effort than Zanatta. And had a bigger impact too.

It was pretty much as I expected - I'd have been surprised if any of the 2 year contract players had been paid off in full just to leave.   I did notice that the update just listed everyone who was under contract for the new season - thats not to mean we wouldn't let someone go for free if they found a new club though.  

47 minutes ago, third lanark said:

Zanatta was appalling at Firhill- terrible attitude and looked completely uninterested at Firhill.  
am I right in guessing that he was like this with Ayr too

We were well warned by Thistle fans and they were spot on , a dud .

1 minute ago, North British said:

We were well warned by Thistle fans and they were spot on , a dud .

And yet he has found himself a gig at a team who could potentially (albeit highly unlikely) be in the Premier next year.  Would be the most undeserved step up to the top league in history surely if that happened!

14 minutes ago, Hursty said:

And yet he has found himself a gig at a team who could potentially (albeit highly unlikely) be in the Premier next year.  Would be the most undeserved step up to the top league in history surely if that happened!

It’s absolutely astonishing he has managed to do that

4 minutes ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

According to Graeme Miller on Facebook, Tom Walsh is being spoken to about a new contract. 

Similar to what happened with McDaid a couple of years back.  

He's not happy with the offer?

Can't really be expecting the same wage considering his contribution this season

4 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

He's not happy with the offer?

Can't really be expecting the same wage considering his contribution this season

I've got no idea on how much he is getting paid or how much he wants. 

From what I get out of that is he's been offered a new deal but is biding his time for possible clubs.

3 minutes ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

I've got no idea on how much he is getting paid or how much he wants. 

From what I get out of that is he's been offered a new deal but is biding his time for possible clubs.

I thought the issue with McDaid is that he was unhappy at the lowball offer, hence the raining money type celebration when he scored against us

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

Am I being whooshed here?

Not at all. I get last seasons poor performances but there's also a danger of making too many changes too soon to any squad. 

5 or 6 is probably about right. Now's the really interesting part when we get to see who's been identified.

Basically a new spine to the team. Shouldn't be that difficult. 🙄

I'm also anticipating McCowan leaving, if he doesn't then it's a massive bonus, but I can't see it. 

How many of this seasons squad would people be happy seeing start every week for us next season? Muirhead and McCowan are probably the only ones for me. Paddy Reading maybe at a push. Rest should be squad players. 

30 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Not at all. I get last seasons poor performances but there's also a danger of making too many changes too soon to any squad. 

5 or 6 is probably about right. Now's the really interesting part when we get to see who's been identified.

Basically a new spine to the team. Shouldn't be that difficult. 🙄

I'm also anticipating McCowan leaving, if he doesn't then it's a massive bonus, but I can't see it. 

I do get that making too many changes is a risk. However, after that aberration of a season it should really be an opportunity to get rid of dead wood. It would maybe be different if they were green shoots but it's been murder these last few months.

The leavers isn't that many it's Roscoe & Wright really. Zanatta was known and Miller didn't even make an appearance. The loans were obviously going back as well. I assume Walsh is gone?

I guess I maybe read too much into Hopkin saying that players were playing for their future and even those on 2 year deals. 

I fear McCowan is away as well tbh. He is one of the few I would actually have starting. Most of the squad we've kept should be sitting on the bench.

Edited by Trogdor

5 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

How many of this seasons squad would people be happy seeing start every week for us next season? Muirhead and McCowan are probably the only ones for me. Paddy Reading maybe at a push. Rest should be squad players. 

Agree with you on that , hopefully working with Hopkins signings they play to the potential they have ( didn’t show much season just past) would cost too much money to end their contracts, and I believe they have more to give and being in last season of contract they will contribute more to either get a contract for following season or to put themselves in the shop window for other clubs , McCowan is a strange one , we go on about how good he is but no team has showed any interest in him so far , you would have thought there would be rumours but not hearing anything around club of him leaving 

Edited by Robbo63

19 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Agree with you on that , hopefully working with Hopkins signings they play to the potential they have ( didn’t show much season just past) would cost too much money to end their contracts, and I believe they have more to give and being in last season of contract they will contribute more to either get a contract for following season or to put themselves in the shop window for other clubs , McCowan is a strange one , we go on about how good he is but no team has showed any interest in him so far , you would have thought there would be rumours but not hearing anything around club of him leaving 

I know a decent English club were interested in McKenzie but not McCowan which I though was strange 

9 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I know a decent English club were interested in McKenzie but not McCowan which I though was strange 

Again Mckenzie is a decent prospect but still very raw. Happy he is staying, I think Mccowan will also stay too

Just woken up here in NZ to the news of John Sludden's passing. So sorry to hear about this and feel for his family, 58 is far too young.

After a couple of ho hum years supporting Ayr things changed when all of a sudden Ally McLeod found a magic formula of Walker, Templeton and Sludden. Sluds goals were classic old school centre forward goals, rarely anything outside the box but he was great with his head and had that strikers' knack of being in the right place at the right time.

I used to tell my dad how great he was only to have dad retort "he's as slow as canal water". I'd throw daggers in dad's direction for daring to criticise my hero, although that was his one flaw that prevented him playing at the top. At least we got to see him bang in the goals for Ayr over those seasons we had him.

Thanks for the memories John, part of the most fondly remembered Ayr side in over 40 years, and by all accounts a lovely guy.