The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Sorry to hear of John Sludden's death. I remember as a 14 year old during the 1987/88 season he ran up to me and pretty much screamed in my face after a goal. I just about wet myself!

Also, this may have been covered in P&B elsewhere but last Saturday Jason Leitch was on Off The Ball and his suggestion was that away fans would not be allowed in initially. However that may be him spouting on the spot guff which isn't exactly hard to imagine.

Sludden was the typical goal scoring player of that era, not much pace or heading ability but like Shankland, he seemed to score all the time.

You had Templetons flair, Walkers aggression and Sluddens intelligence up front.
He had a trick for long balls played to him where he would fake to jump with the defender and run round him, gambling on the defender missing his header and giving him that extra 3-4 yards he needed. like Andy Walker, you could see his brain was a step ahead of everyone else on the park.

His legacy was tainted when he joined “them” but he made up for it by being absolutely rotten there. At the reunion dinner a few years ago, he said moving there almost doubled what he was on at Ayr, which made his failure better.

one of these guys you hoped would be good in management that would one day take over at Ayr but it wasn’t to be.

He was part of the best Ayr team for a generation, maybe even two and an Ayr legend 

So, so sad to hear about Sludden.

So honoured to have been going to the games when he was at Ayr - had just started secondary school at Ayr Academy and was brilliant times for me as a kid.

Can still remember standing behind the goals when he would tap the ball in and kiss the badge running up to all us fans in the Somerset Road end.

R.I.P. John

Sudden was an absolute Rolls Royce of a player, exquisite touch, vision and awareness of what was around him. His part in the Second Division strike force with Templeton and Walker had a mix of everything and caused havoc in opposition defences with Sludden instrumental in that. 

I remember being genuinely gutted when he left us, citing a move back to the Central belt before eventually moving 12 miles up the A77. 

Nobody can ever take away his major contribution to our club. Ally would often speak highly about him as a player. His talents deserved to be seen at a higher level than we could give him. 

He also played in the famous Scotland v England schoolboy match. Paul McStay and John Robertson in the Scotland team and Paul Rideout scoring a hattrick for England. 

Huge commiserations to his family and friends. Its a sad day for our club. 

RIP John. 

Edited by BukyOHare

As a Raith supporter, the sight of John Sludden at Stark's Park used to fill me with dread. He always seemed to score 2 against us, although that may be the mists of time. If the opposition dread you running out at 3pm, you must be doing something very right. Commiserations.

If it wasn't for Sludden and the rest of the 87/88 team I wouldn't have been an Ayr fan. Being from Sheffield and watching the results coming in every week and the hammerings that the team regularly dished out got me hooked and have been a supporter ever since. People from down here will ask me why i support Ayr and I tell them why with a smile on my face no matter how strange it would seem to folk.

RIP John and thanks for contributing to making me an Honest Man

2 minutes ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

Bit suprised that Miller is going, wasn't he not on 2 years??

It’s Liam Miller one of the youngsters that’s away. It’s mentioned further down about Michael Miller.

No mention of Tom Walsh. 

So only really 6 or maybe 7 to replace  . Keeper , two centre backs ,  three midfielders and a striker . That’s of course if all the others accept their offers ...

GK

GK

RB - Houston, Miller, Hewitt

LB - Reading, Ecripont

CB - Baird, Muirhead 

CM - Chalmers, Murdoch, Miller, Todd

Wide Midfield - Smith, Todd (Walsh)

Forwards - Moffat, Moore, McCowan, McKenzie

Assuming Walsh is not staying (I have no knowledge on if he is or not) I'd say we need - 2 goalkeepers, 2 centre halfs, 2 Sitting midfielders, 3 wide players, 2 forwards. 

I doubt we would get that without moving on one or two of the players with a year left, we'll maybe lose McCowan but I'd expect the rest will sign.