The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

13 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Not buying season tickets ultimately results in less numbers and quality of signings , how many people would buy if the club came out and said all we want to do next season is stay in league ,every club will be saying our aims are to be in play  offs , 

Yup - new season, new start. We’ve not been able to go to the football in well over a year so no idea why people wouldn’t want to attend after complaining about not being able to go for ages!

7 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I have to say, I've never been so keen to see who is being punted. This is an abject squad of chicken hearted wimps posing as ballers that needs emptied pronto.

It will be interesting to see what next season's target is. A season of dicing with relegation will certainly dampen expectations somewhat.

As others have said, I'd take a comfy mid table finish (never in fear of the drop) with an outside chance of promotion play offs 5/6th for me.

I just want to get back to the games in the flesh both home and away. 

On the other hand there are plenty of examples where a couple of the right key signings have come in to a team and totally transformed the rest of them.    For example if we found the absolute perfect experienced winner at centre half would that be enough to drag the likes of Baird up a level?   There's every chance it would.  

Edited by Hursty

12 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Not buying season tickets ultimately results in less numbers and quality of signings , how many people would buy if the club came out and said all we want to do next season is stay in league ,every club will be saying our aims are to be in play  offs , 

There's probably a hardcore of 600 - 700 guys like myself and my mates who buy a ST as a matter of course. It's not about glory for us it's more just a lifestyle choice and a given that we put ourselves through the emotional wringer every Saturday and despite the many disappointments we always come back for more.

For me, that's what supporting Ayr is all about, the down times are bad and they're often, however it just makes us savour and enjoy the good times so much more.

In the bigger picture we're actually in one of our best positions in the 40 years that I've followed Ayr, so if we can put up with the Ronnie Yule's and Brian Bilsland's (who i actually liked) and era's of the 2 Rabs and Mark Shanks and Simon "the hat" Stainrod, then by Christ putting up with this era's side should be a walk in the park and seen as a blessing rather than anything to be depressed about.

Over and above that we're moving forward off the park, the Hub is a big step forward, Somerset is having some maintenance and hopefully there will be big improvements on the pitch situation, so all in all and I can't speak for anyone else, but I know that my mates and I can't wait to get the black and white scarf back on and get back to Somerset cheering us on irrespective of who's wearing the shirt but I suspect we're not alone.......

15 minutes ago, Hursty said:

On the other hand there are plenty of examples where a couple of the right key signings have come in to a team and totally transformed the rest of them.    For example if we found the absolute perfect experienced winner at centre half would that be enough to drag the likes of Baird up a level?   There's every chance it would.  

Whilst that's true, I'm not convinced we're in that position. I'd wager we need 5/6 guys of that kind of ilk tbh. Which makes our summer transfers all the more crucial. I genuinely would only have 3/4 of this current squad as starters.

As for Baird, I'm not convinced he will be any better with someone more experienced alongside him. In hindsight, he looks every bit a panic buy because Bell opted to leave. 

Edited by Trogdor

38 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Futurama Shut Up And Take My Money GIF

Targetting 4th should be the aim, as most seasons there isn't too much off a gap from 4th til 9th until the last month or so. This year with 2 games to go Queens could have finished 4th or 9th - granted we were a round of games light, but there's usually not much form 4th to say 7th.

For me we need a leader / organiser at Ch and another leader in CM and a goal scorer up top. Get the right players for those 3 and the rest falls into place

Ultimately we’re relatively spoiled in the realm of things to look forward to. So pleased the club have managed to stay in the champ for the arrival of the hub, would have taken the shine off if we’d been relegated. I won’t make it any time soon but the prospect of an actual afternoon at Somerset sounds amazeballs 😍 beers and banter at the social club plus Champ football, then we have the ins and outs to look forward to where anything’s still possible.

Reasons to be cheerful.

Still waiting patiently to see the punted list! Really hope there will be news soon about fans being back at Somerset next season, just hope it isn’t an overly sanitising experience (pun not intended) . Also is the hub going to open all week or just on matchdays?

Just now, Thereisalight.. said:

Still waiting patiently to see the punted list! Really hope there will be news soon about fans being back at Somerset next season, just hope it isn’t an overly sanitising experience (pun not intended) . Also is the hub going to open all week or just on matchdays?

Am I right in thinking you are from Girvan? I was down there working at elections yesterday and the amount of people that came in sporting Ayr United face masks or Ayr United clobber was great to see. Didn’t think there were many Ayr fans down there. 

6 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Really hope there will be news soon about fans being back at Somerset next season,

The playoffs are being moved to allow fans in, so that's very encouraging already.

7 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Am I right in thinking you are from Girvan? I was down there working at elections yesterday and the amount of people that came in sporting Ayr United face masks or Ayr United clobber was great to see. Didn’t think there were many Ayr fans down there. 

Lucky bassa getting that coshy job! Aye I was at Girvan to vote, in my old school canteen. Think I saw one guy so I’ll guess it was you! When I was there I saw quite a few folk with Ayr U face masks but I didn’t have mine on. Girvan has always had loads of Ayr fans. Obviously way outnumbered by OF fans but there is a healthy number. In my street alone there is about 4 of us who regularly go to games 

12 minutes ago, Iain said:

The playoffs are being moved to allow fans in, so that's very encouraging already.

It is. I haven’t read the article so don’t know if there’s caveats (negative test, proof of vaccine etc). But 500 fans is a great start. With it being outdoors there’s no reason we can’t have our normal amount of home fans next season 

6 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

It is. I haven’t read the article so don’t know if there’s caveats (negative test, proof of vaccine etc). But 500 fans is a great start. With it being outdoors there’s no reason we can’t have our normal amount of home fans next season 

If all goes to plan we should be there or there about's come the start of the season for what we would need at Somerset. Just over half the adult population have now had their vaccine, I've got my second on Sunday as part of the people with asthma who get the flu jab group. The hope is every adult will have been offered a vaccine by the end of July. 

First game back at Somerset or away day it is going to be absolutely bouncing. 

12 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Certainly seems promising

Screenshot_20210507-112324_BBC Sport.jpg