The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Big summer ahead and I’m looking forward to it despite Hopkins shocking recruitment at Morton.

I think it’s fair to say though that Hopkin is well aware that there is a lack of experience and “captains” throughout the squad and he’ll be doing everything he can to bring 2 or 3 guys to take charge of the dressing room and fill the void left by Bell, Geggan, Kerr and Adams. I don’t really think we’ll see many marquee signings like we had with Tom Walsh. Hopkin will go for steady, trusted Championship players and also guys who are looking to step up from League One. Think there will also be room for a couple of younger guys recently released from the Premiership that can hopefully follow a similar path to Michael Rose or Daniel Harvie.

Cue me being totally wrong and us announcing a group of ringers from down South and John Sutton to lead the line.

13 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

I believe Alston has been quite shite this season and Falkirk fans were really disappointed with the signing.

But yeah I’d be surprised if Todd didn’t sign a permanent deal for next season.

13 hours ago, TheScarf said:

According to the Falkirk thread, Alston has been regularly bodied by part time players playing directly against him.  You're best staying well clear by the sounds of it.

I think it's more just a case of being at the wrong club at the wrong time, i mean he's not even 30ffs, some fall from grace if that's him already past the peak of his career.

8 hours ago, rb123! said:

I think it's more just a case of being at the wrong club at the wrong time, i mean he's not even 30ffs, some fall from grace if that's him already past the peak of his career.

Sounds a bit like most of the Ayr squad last season.  No doubt a bit of head spinning when some find their form at a higher level. When you don't have cash to splash sometimes it can work well for both parties

8 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Big summer ahead and I’m looking forward to it despite Hopkins shocking recruitment at Morton.

I think it’s fair to say though that Hopkin is well aware that there is a lack of experience and “captains” throughout the squad and he’ll be doing everything he can to bring 2 or 3 guys to take charge of the dressing room and fill the void left by Bell, Geggan, Kerr and Adams. I don’t really think we’ll see many marquee signings like we had with Tom Walsh. Hopkin will go for steady, trusted Championship players and also guys who are looking to step up from League One. Think there will also be room for a couple of younger guys recently released from the Premiership that can hopefully follow a similar path to Michael Rose or Daniel Harvie.

Cue me being totally wrong and us announcing a group of ringers from down South and John Sutton to lead the line.

Wouldn't disagree with any of what you say in theory. Identifying these true "captain" types is so difficult, probably because there aren't that many out there to begin with. Every team would love a team full of them and it can often be that at our level, you have to sacrifice an element of their playing ability. At face value they may not be the "best" option out there but they bring other things to the dressing room over and above measurable stats like goals or assists. 

Someone who can talk Baird and the rest of the team through a game, who rally the team when things aren't going to plan, Cappielow away last season when it went 2-1 for example. 

Fascinated to see who we can bring in, I totally agree in targeting proven players from the Scottish game with a couple of possible development options that can progress and develop. For what we went through last season, the marquee / headline type signing isn't always needed, 14 players who buy into a system and know their job to the letter. Guys who are willing to outrun and out fight the opposition gets you far in this league, 8 guys to lift the piano and 3 who can play it. 

Regardless of who comes in, I hope Hopkin and his team can improve the players who we also retain but also the new additions as well. The work they put in between games is so vital at our level. Some well structured and inventive setpieces would be great as well.

There's no reason to think that Davie Smith won't sign off on 2 year deals as well which might make some players minds up to our advantage.

Regardless, let's be thankful we've avoided relegation and hopefully kick on next season with fans back in the stand and terracing. 

Our manager has a proven track record in being successful in the championship. Let’s not lose sight of that.

Stating the obvious here but if improvement isn’t made next season, and things are looking dire at Christmas, he’ll be gone.

I’m confident that even Rab Reilly could muster a better squad dynamic than last seasons so I’m optimistic.

And, with no real standout from last season (everyone was beating everyone else) we have as much a chance as anyone.

I think it will all come down to the right balance of players and player types - last season has showed us that in abundance - CVs go for nothing as an individual.

AND, if my prayers (and the director’s) are answered, and Killie get relegated then happy days and bring it on - I think after Covid and last season’s shit-show, we all deserve a taste of pleasurable football days.

According to the post, Dre Wright is away. Hard to say he was a bad player based on game time but like Cameron, he barely touched the ball in that game time.

We are looking at signing a Goalkeeper outright, I have mixed feelings about this, we can’t afford two first choice keepers to compete so I’d imagine we’ll sign a first choice and have a younger player as backup. 
As clowns like Ally Brown and John Hillcoat show, if you get landed with a dud from day one it can be a long season, the loan market for keepers has served us well.

it really has to be a proven keeper at this level, I’d take Doohan for instance because he has shown he is capable, PJ whatshisface from Motherwell, not so much.  We’ll need a keeper next year as well so a young, proven keeper on a 2 year deal would be my preferred option. Who that could be? No idea

6 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

the loan market for keepers has served us well.

Agree with this although perhaps we’ve been lucky, as you say flexibility in getting rid if required. Perhaps if this position doesn’t fall into the leader required category it’s at least a reassuring presence. Fingers crossed we get that.

Edited by bazka6

15 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Tad surprised Moff is getting offered a new deal but happy with it.

I’m not surprised at all. He is a real good player just can’t hit a barn door anymore. He can be useful if we can get a big lump he can play off and link up with

1 hour ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Tad surprised Moff is getting offered a new deal but happy with it.

In an ideal world you shouldn't look to empty your whole squad but we aren't far away from that here. Not all new players will fit in and need some consistency. Moff ok on the park and seems a good professional off it

5 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Bag of cans and Jack Baird away, I'll accept the rest staying if this happens. 

Jack Baird won’t leave. He’s on a two year deal plus Hopkin had him on loan at Morton and tried to sign him permanently. FWIW I think he’ll come good 

1 minute ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Jack Baird won’t leave. He’s on a two year deal plus Hopkin had him on loan at Morton and tried to sign him permanently. FWIW I think he’ll come good 

He definitely not be captain next season , which may help  him 

Edited by Robbo63

24 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

He might well get a better offer and it suits both sides 

36 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

He definitely not be captain next season , which may help  him 

That's a relief. Frankly, if he's not off I'd rather he warmed the bench. He's been culpable for at least half of the goals we conceded. He does not inspire confidence and has zero leadership skills. He should be catapulted into the sea.