The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Because teams in the Championship/League 1/League 2 all play the same amount of league games. Premiership sides play more.

I know, but I don’t think playing two more games over a ten month season is grounds for having a wildly different play-off format to every other league. Teams will have all sorts of fixture imbalances over the season due to cup games.

The fixture argument is just a convenient way to propose that the Premiership side should only play one tie rather than two - and therefore have half the chance of slipping up. It shouldn’t be that difficult to have the leagues finishing on the same date, especially when the Premiership sides usually start earlier. Cut out the pishy winter break and you’re sorted.

I agree that fourth place having the same opportunity as second place is a bit ridiculous, but it’s been deemed acceptable for the lower league play-offs for about 15 years. If you believe that the reason for the Premiership format being so different was for sporting integrity reasons, rather than to reduce the chances of the Premiership side slipping up, I have a bridge to sell you.

2 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

According to Hopkins interview on BWTV the players were getting told today who were being let go. 
Not sure if that means we’ll find out today 

It’s going to be Thursday now I believe 

According to Ayrshire Post Andre Wright has already left the club while Josh Todd is set to be offered a deal. Hopkin is prioritising a goalkeeper and wants this to be a permanent signing rather than a loan. 

3 hours ago, eez-eh said:

I know, but I don’t think playing two more games over a ten month season is grounds for having a wildly different play-off format to every other league. Teams will have all sorts of fixture imbalances over the season due to cup games.

That's how it was sold.

I've zero doubt most top flight clubs, including my own, were worried about having 2 automatic relegation spots/wanted to try and get as many advantages as they could going into the play-offs, and lower league clubs had little alternative but to agree, but the 2 extra league games was probably the excuse for having a different set up.

It would be great if every tier had 2 automatic relegation/promotion spots, but think the play offs add something so would be a shame to lose them. In that case it should be 2nd v 3rd (or 9th/11th v 3rd?), then onto the Final with the team that's left. I don't think it'll happen for the same reason League 2 is unlikely to have an automatic relegation spot, though.

Edited by RandomGuy.

10 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

According to Ayrshire Post Andre Wright has already left the club while Josh Todd is set to be offered a deal. Hopkin is prioritising a goalkeeper and wants this to be a permanent signing rather than a loan. 

Wouldn't surprise me if he tried to get PJ Morrison

49 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I think our last permanent keeper was Jordan Hart, a while back now. A permanent keeper will benefit us long term. 

12 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

I see shirt king or something on twitter is selling .matchworn ayr home shirt 97/98 #8 .

Who played number 8 that season? me and my mate are having a discussion about it. Anyone know ? I'm sure djaffo was #10

Alain Horace?

Anyway , what keepers are in our range and available?
McAdams is probably the most obvious given his connection to Hopkin previously. Out of contract at Morton at the end of the season and may be off if they went down.

Morrison maybe, if he got released.

If Doohan was released I could see McCall moving for him.

9 minutes ago, North British said:

Anyway , what keepers are in our range and available?

PJ Morrison, Ross Doohan, Scott Fox, McAdams, Mark Ridgers, Kieran Wright.  No idea if any of them are available mind, just possible options off the top of my head. 

43 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

I see shirt king or something on twitter is selling .matchworn ayr home shirt 97/98 #8 .

Who played number 8 that season? me and my mate are having a discussion about it. Anyone know ? I'm sure djaffo was #10

I'll have a guess at John Traynor