The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

On 02/05/2021 at 17:32, BukyOHare said:

Totally agree on these three and would throw in Lyon, Nesbitt (if McCowan goes) and Fjortoft (mentioned by D'Jaffo earlier) as well as players we should be looking at. 

I'm not saying we should sign everyone of the players mentioned before anybody misquotes me. 

Just out of interest Dunning, what's the general consensus on the 3 players I've quoted? 

I get the natural reaction is that they've been part of, let's be honest, a poor Morton team. For the better players in the squad it's not to say it'll define their careers elsewhere. 

Lyon is still under contract for another season. I fully expect him to be away in the summer, but while any transfer fee we could get for him would be massively reduced if we're in League One I would still think the club would be looking for more than the sort of token fee a Championship club would throw around and in any case I'd put him in the category of one who didn't get on with Hopkin, so that rules Ayr out even if a fee doesn't.

Fjortoft can sometimes look a solid centre back but is often prone to some costly lapses of concentration and will make some bad mistakes out of nowhere as a result. To compare him to another centre back fitting that description in Jack Baird I think Baird's lapses are much more frequent. Still though, Fjortoft's a player you look at and think that if he can cut those mistakes out he could be a really good Championship player, forgetting that he's 27 rather than 22 or 23. If those mistakes were ever going to disappear from his game they should have done so by now. How much those mistakes might disappear if he was in a well organised defence with wholly competent teammates around him I'm not sure.

It's an absolute joke that a carthorse like McGinty started every game while Fjortoft was often left out, which again raises a question of how willing Fjortoft would be to work with Hopkin again, although he didn't help himself by whinging about it on social media.

Nesbitt turned down other offers in the summer to stay with us and it was always going to be a massive season for him. With Nicky Cadden away he had to step up and show that he could handle the responsibility of being the creative focal point of a team at this level. While he's not been helped by the assortment of shite he's been asked to create chances for, it's unquestionable that he's failed. He at least always keeps going in trying to create, but he's just failed to have an impact on games for too many times. He's probably in the last chance saloon for remaining a full-time footballer now and if we did stay up I wouldn't be bothered either way if he stays or goes.

I'd say that both Fjortoft and Nesbitt are better than some of the players you've got, but any Championship club wanting to build a playoff challenging side should be looking for better.

Edited by Dunning1874

2 hours ago, Superhursy7 said:

If Killie come down we might get a small boost for season tickets with folk wanting guaranteed tickets for the games I'm pretty sure the first Ayrshire league derby in almost 30 years will be close to sell out

As much as I'd love Killie to be relegated I honestly cant see it happening. Theyll finish 10th imo. Even if they finished 11th theyd easily beat Dundee, Dunfermline or Raith 

2 hours ago, Lochwood said:

Think you’ll find the budget is reduced, prize money for finishing 8 compared to fourth Last year is substantial. I was surprised with last years prize money and take into account how disappointed fans have been with the team and live streaming I can’t see the same number (800) signing up Unless it’s confirmed we will def be in the ground.

A bit of Chicken and Egg here, surely if the club want to excite us and sell more season tickets then they should be pulling out all the stops to get us the players we need to succeed.

PR also very important and this is where Super Ally and McCall were both worth their weight in gold.

Of course the flip side is the "we need you to purchase season tickets so we can then spend the money on the playing squad".

11 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

As much as I'd love Killie to be relegated I honestly cant see it happening. Theyll finish 10th imo. Even if they finished 11th theyd easily beat Dundee, Dunfermline or Raith 

I'm inclined to agree and that's before you consider the amount of games teams finishing 3rd or 4th in the Championships would need to play to go up. 

Why they don't just have 2 legged semi finals:

2nd bottom SPL v 4th Championship

Championship 2nd v Championship 3rd

Then a one off final at a neutral venue. 

Every season I shake my head at the current format which is so unfairly in favour of the SPL teams. 

26 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

I'm inclined to agree and that's before you consider the amount of games teams finishing 3rd or 4th in the Championships would need to play to go up. 

Every season I shake my head at the current format which is so unfairly in favour of the SPL teams. 

You've answered your own question there, the Scottish Premier clubs can tut tut about England and their "super league" all they like but there's no doubt that they'd all vote for a closed shop top tier tomorrow if they had the chance.

On 30/04/2021 at 04:58, GaryMc93 said:

Think he only appeared on the bench in the last game at Morton the season Mitchell was here, although he may have trained with him.

Certainly was in the same youth team as Aaron Connolly at Ayr. Although from what we know about Tiffoney, the impact his behaviour could have on others doesn't seem to register with him.

This may bring a smile to a few faces..Jackson Longridge at 16 years old gave, a couple of years older, Tiffoney a bleaching at Somerset Park one afternoon for being a smart arse. From that day on Jackson was my hero...

On 02/05/2021 at 11:45, Lochwood said:

Ecrepont needed to go to a team where he would be playing and up to January had limited game time, the club should have moved him to another club or bring him back not learning anything  at Albion Rovers.

correct me if I'm wrong but I think he played in 23 games for albion this season. He had an assist 2 weeks ago .think he's been playing left mid .Still only 18 

The SPFL will do whatever they need to do to ensure Kilmarnock stay up.
Whit nonsense is this?

Btw, listening to sportsound and mccall is on top form, ripping into everyone who had a pop at him this season.

Listening to him like this, I'm gutted it went the way it did. He really was the best manager we've had in a long, long time.

26 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

correct me if I'm wrong but I think he played in 23 games for albion this season. He had an assist 2 weeks ago .think he's been playing left mid .Still only 18 

He has started 3 out of last 10 games I believe 

3 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

Because top flight clubs play more games than lower league clubs.

11th/2nd both play 38 games before the play off final. Their final 2 games before the final are played on the same dates usually.

3rd/4th play 40, but thats the price for finishing in mid-table.

Ideally you'd have 2nd v 3rd on Premiership matchday 37/38, then the winner plays 11th, but Championship clubs wanted 3 play off spots.

This season 11th will play 38 games before the Final, 2nd would play 29.

It's all set up to keep the Championship side down though 🤐

Edited by RandomGuy.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

11th/2nd both play 38 games before the play off final. Their final 2 games before the final are played on the same dates usually.

Ideally you'd have 2nd v 3rd on Premiership matchday 37/38, then the winner plays 11th, but Championship clubs wanted 3 play off spots.

Aw diddums, are the boys from the big league tired?! You'll play more games if you play each other 4 times, but that's another argument.

The playoffs in their current format, are hardly designed to make it "easier" for the Championship teams now are they? I'm only asking for a fairer crack of the whip, not a goal head start.

3 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Aw diddums, are the boys from the big league tired?! You'll play more games if you play each other 4 times, but that's another argument.

The playoffs in their current format, are hardly designed to make it "easier" for the Championship teams now are they? I'm only asking for a fairer crack of the whip, not a goal head start.

Well the argument is always that Championship sides have to play more games in a shorter period of time (again, 2nd and 11th generally always play the same amount of games before the Final, on the same dates), so that's why I mentioned the amount of games.

The play offs are designed against the teams in 3rd/4th. And quite frankly why shouldn't they be? The team in 4this literally finishing mid-table and expecting to get promoted.

2nd place has no disadvantage at all compared to 11th. Ideally 3rd wouldn't either, but they have to if you're giving out 3 play off spots.

43 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It all depends on the context of the matches really. This season I don’t really think 2nd in the championship is at much of a disadvantage  compared to 11th in the Premiership. Simply because the bottom of the Premiership is so close that each game will be played at a high intensity, similar to the play off games. 

I don’t think the overall number of games across the season is generally the issue though, it’s the amount of high intensity games over a short period of time for those in the playoff positions in the championship. 

The playoffs in the same format as the lower division ones would of course be fairer though. The Premiership side would still be at an advantage by having the return legs at home. 

Your argument about those finishing third or fourth not deserving to be promoted could easily be applied to that of a team finishing second bottom deserving to be relegated. 

Edited by No_Problemo

23 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Your argument about those finishing third or fourth not deserving to be promoted could easily be applied to that of a team finishing second bottom deserving to be relegated. 

I've no issue with 3rd getting promoted, I just think a team 4th in a league of 10 is pushing the envelope a bit by moaning they can't get "easily" promoted.

I'm amazed anyone begrudges this level having 3 play-off spots. It's a strange thing to be irked by tbh. It's also strange to defend the motivation of the top flight. History is a fairly good guide as to their overriding desire for self preservation.

For about two decades winning this league was no guarantee of promotion and the league was one of the most unfair in the country with 1 promotion spot and 2 relegation spots. The current system is better than what preceeded it. It's not perfect mind but it's better than what came before.

6 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Doohan for me as previously stated.

I believe he's under contract until May 2022 at Celtic however he was only deemed as "cover" at both Dundee Utd and Ross County which would surely put him in the frame as an attainable target as our number 1 keeper.

Think Doohan wasted a season by going to Ross County and not getting much game time at all. He was very good while at Somerset and I think he should be looking for a team now that can offer him a starting slot......i.e. us