The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

33 minutes ago, Iain said:

Ok it's Monday, ready to move on to the new season. How about some signing news?

Thursday/Friday think we should know who is not returning and hopefully  an early signing to get fans lifted again 

Edited by Robbo63

54 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Thursday/Friday think we should know who is not returning and hopefully  an early signing to get fans lifted again 

So probably not somebody involved in play offs ?

2 hours ago, GaryMc93 said:

You may be right but it would suggest that Ayr no longer own the land.

Near a recycling centre and an abattoir isn't exactly the greatest location for a stadium never mind houses so good luck to them. 

In fairness, there's quite a few of our playing squad who deserved to be sent to either.........

3 minutes ago, North British said:

So probably not somebody involved in play offs ?

Cant see our marquee signing coming from Morton , also not saying marquee signing will be our first 

Edited by Robbo63

If our budget is anything like last year or even improved, then I'd be expecting Cammy Smith, Tom Walsh, Patrick Reading, Bruce Anderson, Jack Baird, Joe Chalmers type signings or better as opposed to dross from Morton or the lower leagues.

Remember, the guys who are going will all be commanding decent wages, so there should be a decent budget there to bring in more "on paper" quality signings.

Don't know the contract situation with Ross Doohan, however if Celtic release him or his contract is up then we should be in there like a shot, there's not many good keepers around and we all know how good Ross is both on and off the pitch and how much potential there is there.

Think you’ll find the budget is reduced, prize money for finishing 8 compared to fourth Last year is substantial. I was surprised with last years prize money and take into account how disappointed fans have been with the team and live streaming I can’t see the same number (800) signing up Unless it’s confirmed we will def be in the ground.

Don't know if this would be feasible or even possible, however I was thinking that even if fans ARE allowed back in to grounds that your season ticket could still include free access to the live stream. This would be beneficial to those with work commitments who would maybe be put off from purchasing a ST and it could also benefit those who maybe miss 2 to 3 matches per season for various reasons that again could sway them in to purchasing the ST ??

1 minute ago, Superhursy7 said:

If Killie come down we might get a small boost for season tickets with folk wanting guaranteed tickets for the games I'm pretty sure the first Ayrshire league derby in almost 30 years will be close to sell out

Killie coming down would not only be a massive gift in terms of attendance, but also a massive gift in the form of twelve delicious free points.

The previous signing policy of signing the best players from round about us and young, released players from the premier league with something to prove served us well. 

Dunfermline went out and signed some names last summer and were clinging on to the play-offs in the end, Dundee toiled for most of the season while signing decent names but finished well, neither had a spectacular season. 

With the three that could potentially come down, None will spend big to go back up in the way that previous relegated teams could so the championship could be more open than it has been for a few years. 

Signing 5 maybe 6 players from round about us (Championship, lower half of the premier) and 3-4 released prospects would be my preferred route. Trying to avoid loans unless it is real quality. 

9 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Dunfermline went out and signed some names last summer and were clinging on to the play-offs in the end, Dundee toiled for most of the season while signing decent names but finished well, neither had a spectacular season. 

With the three that could potentially come down, None will spend big to go back up in the way that previous relegated teams could so the championship could be more open than it has been for a few years. 

Signing 5 maybe 6 players from round about us (Championship, lower half of the premier) and 3-4 released prospects would be my preferred route. Trying to avoid loans unless it is real quality.

Agree with the above . The Championship will be as tight as a drum next season with Alloa andHearts gone .Even this season we were only ten points  off fourth . Slightly better luck on a number of fronts and we could have had a hugely different season .

Next season we are going to have to pay the going rate for three or four players as well as take a chance with some discarded youngsters from the city clubs . Loans are not a great idea but sometimes needs must . I have a feeling Mr Smith will well by us this summer as he so far on many fronts . Exciting times ... 

27 minutes ago, cop said:

Wonder if we should be looking to sign our own keeper for next season rather than rely on loans like the last 3 seasons?

Doohan for me as previously stated.

I believe he's under contract until May 2022 at Celtic however he was only deemed as "cover" at both Dundee Utd and Ross County which would surely put him in the frame as an attainable target as our number 1 keeper.

29 minutes ago, cop said:

Wonder if we should be looking to sign our own keeper for next season rather than rely on loans like the last 3 seasons?

To be fair none of the  ones that played regularly really let us down 

The only slight issue I could foresee with trying to get Doohan is that Celtic are going to have a new manager next season so he’ll likely use pre season to evaluate any players that are on the fringes of the first team/too good for reserve football. If Hopkin wanted him and was prepared to wait then fair enough but it’s still a risk and one he might not be willing to take when McAdams at Morton is out of contract and readily available. Of course I’d expect him to have a few different options this summer.

It's an interesting one with Doohan in terms of institutional memory. Hopkin and his team haven't worked with him at all, so where would the connection come from? Retained scouts? Board level?

It's an interesting one with Doohan in terms of institutional memory. Hopkin and his team haven't worked with him at all, so where would the connection come from? Retained scouts? Board level?

Derek Stillie is still on the coaching staff.