The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

8 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:
8 hours ago, placidcasual said:
Staying up and that odious wee beast Tiffoney getting outed nationally as a dick. Not bad. I'm still utterly unconvinced by Hopkin but he deserves his crack at it next season with hopefully some money to play with.

The third best thing about today is that we'll probably have half a chance of keeping Luke McCowan for at least another year now.

Luke will surely get better offers,and I expect one of them will be from Thistle.

I think he'll be getting SPL offers. I really hope he stays but I can't see it. His agent will be looking to move him on. ££

Perhaps he was waiting to see if we were still in the Championship before signing a 2 year contract. 

Some player that ndaba.

Friend of mine who works in Morrisons was telling me that Corrie Ndaba kicked off at staff when they asked him to wear a face mask. Saying "do you know who I am I've just signed for Ayr united".  Don't think he realized that statement would get him nowhere. Was right after he came up. Thankfully he turned out to be decent so I wasn't put off him.

17 minutes ago, AuAl said:

Some player that ndaba.

Friend of mine who works in Morrisons was telling me that Corrie Ndaba kicked off at staff when they asked him to wear a face mask. Saying "do you know who I am I've just signed for Ayr united".  Don't think he realized that statement would get him nowhere. Was right after he came up. Thankfully he turned out to be decent so I wasn't put off him.

Sorry your friend has given you incorrect information  , the player involved was Andre Wright 

Edited by Robbo63

Think we need to get back to the McCall model and have a few part time players to compliment the full time set up, loads of good players out there who won’t give up good jobs, O’Brien at Arbroath is a good example great player but happy being part time due to his job.

6 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Sorry your friend has given you incorrect information  , the player involved was Andre Wright 

Ah my bad, apologies. Should have been more thorough checking.

Am I right in saying then that Andre Wright was barred from Ayr Morrisons? The glitz and glam of being a professional footballer eh.

1 minute ago, Lochwood said:

Think we need to get back to the McCall model and have a few part time players to compliment the full time set up, loads of good players out there who won’t give up good jobs, O’Brien at Arbroath is a good example great player but happy being part time due to his job.

There is a difference between part-time players training two nights a week and part-time players who train two or three days a week with the rest of the squad , which was the Ian McCall model. That would need to be available for this to work.

Just a heads up that their is a post match interview with Josh Todd and David Hopkin on black and white tv. Todd basically confirming he wants to stay and Hopkin says he’ll leave the players have a couple of days off and then get them in on Tuesday and talk about next season. 

Any new additions must be willing, and able, to put everything on the line every minute or every game in order to get a result. This season has highlighted the importance of the mental strength in players and how that really matters in the week to week grind of the Championship whether they be part time or full time. 

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Someone on SRE saying Walsh is not being offered a new deal. Dunno how reliable it is of course but it wouldn’t bother me too much.

It’s quite clear Hopkin doesn’t particularly rate him as he’s been on the bench most weeks. He was seen as our marquee signing of the summer and it just hasn’t worked out. I suspect he’ll go back to ICT. 

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Someone on SRE saying Walsh is not being offered a new deal. Dunno how reliable it is of course but it wouldn’t bother me too much.

Aye, he's flattered to deceive. He should have been a great signing and other than the odd game he hasn't had much of an impact. Undoubtedly he can cross a ball and knows where the net is. However, too often he seems to disappear, doesn't track back or he was injured.

Into the sea with him. Hopefully the first of many.

17 minutes ago, Iain said:

So long as we finish above Partick and Arbroath next season I'll be relatively satisfied.

Partick going down last season was absolutely hilarious and exactly what they deserved, but it was an utter aberration. Dreading those fixtures already, especially if the removal of the imminent threat of a P45 restores the previous artillery tactics.

Interesting listening to Hopkin's comments regarding Chalmers.  He definitely looked motivated and determined last night, whether that was because he was playing against a former club or he realised the gravity of the situation.  Either way it showed there is a side to him that many of us didn't expect to see (myself included).  Perhaps he is another type of player that needs the right manager with the right man-management skills to fully get the best out of him.  We had some players like that under McCall, and I know some Livi fans who have said that Hopkin was good at coaching players so maybe he deserves to see out his two-year deal.  The same to be said for Houston and Reading - they are young and maybe need the right manager to develop them.  Miller I think is a two year deal, solid enough player even if not flash so not too upset that he'll still be here next year,  

I'd be gutted to see Murdoch go, but not entirely surprised either.  His knee injury was a nasty one and maybe that affected his confidence but he's not looked the same this year.  Undoubtedly is a good player, but whether or not he can get back to that level I don't know. Maybe being part of a more confident team next season may help him.  Can we take the risk? 

Todd would be interesting to see stay.  He obviously wasn't at the same level as Cammy Smith but, as he said in his interview, he hadn't really played since January.  Not sure  he would necessarily be a starter every week but QoS fans seem to think he can still do a job, even if it is more of a squad player.  

I read something on SRE (I know...I know...) that Walsh wasn't being offered a new deal (some lad who claims he knows Walsh's Dad).  Again, not sure how I feel about that.  Clearly a great player when fit and part of a winning team but he was injury prone and went missing in games at times.  That chance against  Dundee stands out for me as someone who, again, didn't have any confidence.  If he could play at his top level every week then that would be great, but being injury prone and a bit inconsistent makes me think he'll be away.  

As for the others, well we'd all love Ndaba to be back but he'll be at a higher level next year.  Great player, great to see him so passionate at the end and I'm sure he'll do well in his future career. McCowan may well find decent offers from teams higher up, but wouldn't be a starting player in the Prem just yet.  May be able to get another year with him here.  Muirhead I'd keep and give the armband.  Moffat would be a good experienced head in the changing room as well as someone who can come on for the last 10-15 mins to tighten up a game.  

I'd be giving Moore a 6 month deal to prove he is over his injuries.  Clearly he wants to stay at Ayr, and the risk of offering him a 6 month deal compared to the potential reward is quite low.  Just for comparison,  Moore has scored a goal every 206 minutes in the Championship - Shankland was every 150 mins.  While clearly they aren't on the same level, there is a goal scorer in there somewhere.  

Wright can get in the sea.  The rest I'm not fussed about.  . 

Edited by super_carson

It’s quite clear Hopkin doesn’t particularly rate him as he’s been on the bench most weeks. He was seen as our marquee signing of the summer and it just hasn’t worked out. I suspect he’ll go back to ICT. 
Has Murdoch not been on the bench as much as him too?

Chalmers was largely excellent last night, felt he was good last week too. Some of our moronic fans (on the SRE) have an inability to see past previous performances and are confident he was awful as soon as they see a poor set piece. 

I think Todd seemed to play well too, but again the stream was poor so it was actually hard to decipher players on the opposite side at times.  It’ll be an interesting few weeks!