The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

8 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I’m not sure you can say Hopkin takes some of the responsibility yet say Smith doesn’t shoulder any of the blame if we go down, it was him who appointed him. 

I do agree however that the main culprits in all this mess are Lachlan Cameron and the board who took the easy, cheap option and appointed Mark Kerr. The club have been on a downward spiral since that day. 

No, we were on a downward spiral when we decided we were no longer striving for promotion 2 seasons ago, I remember standing on the North Terracing thinking what's the point of coming if we're not willing to take a punt with our best chance for over 40 years, my work now precludes me from attending but I can't say I'm desperate enough to change my hours to watch hoofball anyway. 

7 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Us fans, will no doubt yet again, be quite intrigued, encouraged and begin to get excited about the season ahead, about the return to games and about the challenge ahead for the coming season and part with our hard earned cash in the form of season tickets.

And we will all be there again, at the start of the season, dreaming of what may lie ahead because let’s face it - it’s in the blood.

Yup it’s what fans do . And if it’s L1 , it’s L1 . No doubt we’ll all cram into the Spiders Club at Lesser Hampden  on New Year’s Day , singing the songs and bringing the beers . 

I think we need a director of football, someone who has maybe managed their last club who can sit on the Board and be the public face of the club on Smiths behalf. Be the one who hires and fires the manager and coaching staff. 

If I was Smith, I'd have fired Hopkin and half the playing squad at half time. I'd have been on the touchline in the second half abusing the remaining team on the park. 

Having a director of football, even on a part time basis takes the pressure off of him in terms of management of the team and player recruitment. 

To put it in to context, imagine you were pleased the club hired Hopkin and backed him on Pie and Bovril, then after yesterdays result were thinking, I better not log in tonight because I am going to get pelters.......Smith Hired the guy and pays his wages, Imagine how he his feeling today. This looks like an embarrassing, very public failure he has been financially and emotionally invested in. Like Kerr, feeling sorry for him will only last so long, He needs to make a decision. 

If we lose our last two games and stay up, Hopkin needs to go. If we win the play-off Hopkin deserves to stay. If we lose the play-off, Hopkin needs to go. If we somehow manage to avoid the play-offs Hopkin deserves to stay. 

If, based on this he survives the summer, is allowed to recruit, he has the Betfred cup games and the first quarter to get them to gel and prove he is the man to take us forward. 

5 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Must say, it's been a strong start to the bant-Ayr years.

What you on about, the bant-Ayr years have been on the go for 4 decades with the odd cessation when some football breaks out. 

30 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

And we will all be there again, at the start of the season, dreaming of what may lie ahead because let’s face it - it’s in the blood.

Aye, we'll all still be there I'm sure.

Given we'll have been away from Somerset for almost 18 months I can't wait to see the place again. 

No, we were on a downward spiral when we decided we were no longer striving for promotion 2 seasons ago, I remember standing on the North Terracing thinking what's the point of coming if we're not willing to take a punt with our best chance for over 40 years, my work now precludes me from attending but I can't say I'm desperate enough to change my hours to watch hoofball anyway. 

Are we going back to this aye? The club didn’t make any decision to not strive for promotion.

7 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Are we going back to this aye? The club didn’t make any decision to not strive for promotion.

Didn't break their neck to strengthen. 

6 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Ach, it's just ayrmad's usual schtick. The frequency of his football posts are usually inversely related to the team's performance.

9 minutes ago, wuffster said:

Ach, it's just ayrmad's usual schtick. The frequency of his football posts are usually inversely related to the team's performance.

No, they're usually related to my attendance, can't see me posting too often during Hopkin' tenure. 

No, they're usually related to my attendance, can't see me posting too often during Hopkin' tenure. 
Bit like myself. Being on furlough means I've managed to watch a lot more this season.

I actually think Ian McCall said similar to yourself after a game at Inverness at the end of that season about ambition and budget

Didn't break their neck to strengthen. 

It was known that we tried to get several different players in that January to try and compete and for whatever reason those targets went elsewhere. Any one of Erskine, Scougall, Wright or Cardle would’ve of course made a difference but it didn’t happen.

Cameron also made it quite clear he didn’t have the money to be able to replace all the players that left as well.

50 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

It was known that we tried to get several different players in that January to try and compete and for whatever reason those targets went elsewhere. Any one of Erskine, Scougall, Wright or Cardle would’ve of course made a difference but it didn’t happen.

Cameron also made it quite clear he didn’t have the money to be able to replace all the players that left as well.

I don't criticise Lachlan's desire for Ayr to live within it's means but I can only post how I felt at the time.