The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

26 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Smith needs to stop thinking like a fan and start thinking like a chairman.  First thing to do is bin social media and fans forums,  Lachlan once made the point about how important it was for him to cut himself off from that side of things as you can’t really win with the fans after a performance like yesterday.  Maybe he went too far at times (he seemed genuinely shocked at the reaction to giving Mark Roberts a new contract), but on the whole it’s the best way to go.  

In the end, we’ve been relegated before and survived.  I guess it’s the feeling that this has been so avoidable and unnecessary, coupled with the knowledge that we’re stuck with Hopkin for next season at least, that’s got folk throwing themselves into the sea,

I’m not sure how engaging with fans isn’t acting like a chairman tbh. 

As frustrated as anyone with the way this season has went but there is no way Smith will bin Hopkin after 5 games and have to pay a settlement on a 2 year deal, as said above one of the reasons that he was brought in was his track record with Livi and he did not have the best of starts with them, I'm just hoping some miracle happens and we stay up and can get some of the chancers out the club and some players in who have fight and desire to play for the jersey.

4 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Especially in current times when there is practically no other way to communicate , good to see he is taking on board comments and will be working on ways to improve the situation 

5 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Whoever has been messaging Dave Smith needs to take a hard look at themselves. Hurling abuse/vitriol at the Chairman is self defeating. 

8 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

No idea why he thinks putting in the public domain is a good thing to do.

Our transition into basket case is complete now if it wasn’t already.

The man (Smith) is being frank and honest with the support . He’s is also probably  asking for some support . The grinding and crunching you hear is the wagons getting circled  . So your either inside the perimeter or not .  

Being an experienced business man won’t have prepared him for abusive messages from what are essentially fellow Ayr fans. I think yesterday emotions were running a bit high given the manner of the defeat and people always need someone to blame. I don’t blame David Smith for what happened yesterday and I also don’t think he shoulders any blame if we go down. Hopkin takes a bit of responsibility of course but a lot of it goes to the players, Mark Kerr and Cameron.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with him putting a statement out either. I know a lot of people maybe wanted an apology or something but I really couldn’t have cared less and would rather we just started picking up points. But it was less of an apology and more an admission that it’s been hard so far and is asking for us to be patient.

5 minutes ago, Iain said:

Not wanting to absolve anyone at the club of any blame, all of which they deserve, but it's an absolute joke that of our games with the teams around us - Morton, Alloa and Arbroath - six of the nine fixtures were played away from home. Whoever thought this was a fair system was an idiot.

Until yesterday our away form was better than our home form so I’m not sure I see your point.

4 minutes ago, Hazbart said:

Until yesterday our away form was better than our home form so I’m not sure I see your point.

Form is irrelevant. Home games are an advantage.

8 minutes ago, Iain said:

It looks like home games have not been so much an advantage for many teams this year due to no fans to put pressure on opponents o , and especially on our below standard pitch that was about the worst in the league for most of the season , mentioned by a number of away teams and even our 2 managers 

20 minutes ago, Iain said:

Not wanting to absolve anyone at the club of any blame, all of which they deserve, but it's an absolute joke that of our games with the teams around us - Morton, Alloa and Arbroath - six of the nine fixtures were played away from home. Whoever thought this was a fair system was an idiot.

That can’t be an excuse at this stage of the season. You can flip it round and say we’ve had Dundee/Dunfermline/QOS who are all, in terms of club size, much harder places to visit and only had to go to them once. We are where we are because we’ve got 1 and most likely looking at the moment, 2 managerial decisions wrong.

This really does suck.

I don't know about anyone else but we're not even sleep walking into relegation. There's an inevitability now... I think we must be 80%+ favourites of being relegated. The playoffs will just extend the pain tbh. Unless there is a miraculous change in tactics and effort or Morton can only muster 1 point from 3 games. All of these feel unlikely.

I'm still fucking fizzing! 😡

This really does suck.
I don't know about anyone else but we're not even sleep walking into relegation. There's an inevitability now... I think we must be 80%+ favourites of being relegated. The playoffs will just extend the pain tbh. Unless there is a miraculous change in tactics and effort or Morton can only muster 1 point from 3 games. All of these feel unlikely.
I'm still fucking fizzing! [emoji35]
To be honest, it's probably better that we got pumped yesterday rather than lose a narrow one, or a late goal.

There's no doubt now that he needs to try something completely different, and i suppose he's more likely to get a response than after a close defeat.

(scrambling to find some optimism)

19 minutes ago, Iain said:

How can form be irrelevant? Some teams struggle at home for any number of reasons. 

I used to think we struggled at home because the fans were on the teams back from the off, this year we have still struggled at home with no fans.

Several posters on here previously  said the pitch at Somerset didn’t help our passing style and we were better on Astro. (completely irrelevant now our style is lumping balls to nowhere and hoping for miracles)

36 minutes ago, Iain said:

I dont think this is the nub of this season's problems. Its maybe a contributory factor but it's in the same bucket as no fans for me.

After losing key leaders; poor recruitment/replacement; not getting the best out the players; poor recruitment again; the players chucking it; no recognised striker; pish poor tactics and individual errors. 

FUCKING BOO

Edited by Trogdor

44 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Being an experienced business man won’t have prepared him for abusive messages from what are essentially fellow Ayr fans. I think yesterday emotions were running a bit high given the manner of the defeat and people always need someone to blame. I don’t blame David Smith for what happened yesterday and I also don’t think he shoulders any blame if we go down. Hopkin takes a bit of responsibility of course but a lot of it goes to the players, Mark Kerr and Cameron.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with him putting a statement out either. I know a lot of people maybe wanted an apology or something but I really couldn’t have cared less and would rather we just started picking up points. But it was less of an apology and more an admission that it’s been hard so far and is asking for us to be patient.

I’m not sure you can say Hopkin takes some of the responsibility yet say Smith doesn’t shoulder any of the blame if we go down, it was him who appointed him. 

I do agree however that the main culprits in all this mess are Lachlan Cameron and the board who took the easy, cheap option and appointed Mark Kerr. The club have been on a downward spiral since that day. 

3 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

To be honest, it's probably better that we got pumped yesterday rather than lose a narrow one, or a late goal.

There's no doubt now that he needs to try something completely different, and i suppose he's more likely to get a response than after a close defeat.

(scrambling to find some optimism)

There is some truth in the above if we had a squad that cared and were hurting. Evidently they don't and they aren't. Odds on there will be no reaction. 

I do admire your quest for that morsel of optimism. Where is @WATTOO at? He's usually infectiously optimistic.

When the dust has settled, and no matter what league we are in next season, this is how I see things panning out.

This squad will be binned. Hopkin and the Chairman will both demand it of each other.

Smith will stump up a decent wedge for the playing budget and back Hopkin all the way. He will be hurting still, no matter what way the seasons ends up.

Us fans, will no doubt yet again, be quite intrigued, encouraged and begin to get excited about the season ahead, about the return to games and about the challenge ahead for the coming season and part with our hard earned cash in the form of season tickets.

And we will all be there again, at the start of the season, dreaming of what may lie ahead because let’s face it - it’s in the blood.

32 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

It looks like home games have not been so much an advantage for many teams this year due to no fans to put pressure on opponents o , and especially on our below standard pitch that was about the worst in the league for most of the season , mentioned by a number of away teams and even our 2 managers 

*cough astroturf