The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

4 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I'm not sure Hopkin's touchline style will suit players of this day and age. He shouts and brawls at them in quite an aggressive tone. The modern day players dont want to listen to hard truths. It's quite clear with no fans on their back they really dont care 

Has anyone checked to make sure Hopkin isn't John Hughes wearing a grotesque Scooby-Doo style mask? 

I dont think I can go back too watch my team in league1 tbh .After all the hope over the last 4 years ,going full time again ,winning the league ,horsing teams for fun new chairman coming in and spouting he wants us in the premiership ,refubishing somerest etc etc .all uncle ians hard work pished up the wall in the space of 6 month .. soul destroying . It wouldn't even bother me so much if we tried and went down fighting .but too get beat by a part time team 4 nil in a relagation battle is beyond belief .there will be no season ticket or 500 money from me and I'd imagine a lot of other's. 

The players worked hard for Hopkin at Cappielow, the main issue was that the squad he assembled was utter dogshit and he picked shite teacher's pets like Cameron Blues.

I'm not convinced management style is an issue, although walking through the door as the manager who assembled a worse team and was dropping down the league like a stone may not have impressed in Ayr's dressing room. 

Edited by vikingTON

1 minute ago, virginton said:

The players worked hard for Hopkin at Cappielow, the main issue was that the squad he assembled was utter dogshit a d he picked shite teacher's pets like Cameron Blues.

I'm not convinced management style is an issue, although walking through the door as the manager who assembled a worse team and was dropping down the league like a stone may not have impressed in Ayr's dressing room. 

This rabble are in no position to turn their nose up at anyone walking through the door

1 minute ago, virginton said:

The players worked hard for Hopkin at Cappielow, the main issue was that the squad he assembled was utter dogshit a d he picked shite teacher's pets like Cameron Blues.

But he had opportunities to change personnel with loans and the free transfer market if he couldn’t work with what we have here. I just think it is an experiment that hasn’t worked and we should pull the plug now and get rid. David white will do a better job currently 

The whole thing with the hard work of the last few years being ruined is disheartening yes but it was always going to be incredibly difficult once the crux of the team and McCall left to take the team forward. I think a lot of us (myself included) expected a few years of consolidation in this league whilst everything was tidied up off the field and we could then go about trying to get promotion. A few bad decisions later and we’re looking likely to end up back in League One.

I don’t think this will stop Smiths plans for the infrastructure but it will certainly make him rethink his expectations for all things on the field.

2 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

But he had opportunities to change personnel with loans and the free transfer market if he couldn’t work with what we have here. I just think it is an experiment that hasn’t worked and we should pull the plug now and get rid. David white will do a better job currently 

I'm not saying he's a good manager - he is not - only that shouting at the players from the touchline is not needed to explain why he's doing a shite job. 

I also wonder if a few of them know they wouldn’t fit into a traditional “Hoppyball” team and therefore know they’ll be off in the summer and have downed tools as a result.

As has already been said, this bunch of shitebags have no right to turn their nose up at anyone besides themselves.

Even then his options would’ve been exceptionally limited. He could easily have went and sighed a bunch of nothing, unproven OF youngsters but it would only have been another stick to beat him with when they turned out to be shite.

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

The whole thing with the hard work of the last few years being ruined is disheartening yes but it was always going to be incredibly difficult once the crux of the team and McCall left to take the team forward. I think a lot of us (myself included) expected a few years of consolidation in this league whilst everything was tidied up off the field and we could then go about trying to get promotion. A few bad decisions later and we’re looking likely to end up back in League One.

I don’t think this will stop Smiths plans for the infrastructure but it will certainly make him rethink his expectations for all things on the field.

Yes, couldn't even manage a season of mid table mediocrity. Takes a special effort to get punted from this league in this of all seasons. A huge effort from everyone at the club.

12 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

I dont think I can go back too watch my team in league1 tbh .After all the hope over the last 4 years ,going full time again ,winning the league ,horsing teams for fun new chairman coming in and spouting he wants us in the premiership ,refubishing somerest etc etc .all uncle ians hard work pished up the wall in the space of 6 month .. soul destroying . It wouldn't even bother me so much if we tried and went down fighting .but too get beat by a part time team 4 nil in a relagation battle is beyond belief .there will be no season ticket or 500 money from me and I'd imagine a lot of other's. 

Same mate, I’m just disgusted by the whole thing. 

13 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

I'm not sure Hopkin would stay for a League 1 campaign, would be a hard sell for the fans anyway so good luck to the club with that, although they have been feeding us a steady stream of shite for most of the season so...

Good he can get to f**k

43 minutes ago, edinburghhonestman said:

I just don't get Hopkin's comment about the players not listening. It's patently obvious they are, otherwise they wouldn't be aimlessly lumping the ball up the park.

Not to defend him too heartily but an example I can give, Dundee game first half, Reading is marking McMullan at a throw in and he's followed him too far into the centre of the park.  Hopkin shouts to Chalmers to mark him and Reading to come back over, Chalmers goes over to McMullan but instantly tried to hand him off to the nearest player. 

There were lots of little things like that of them just ignoring him in both the Clyde and Dundee games that just made me think the players have no respect at all for him or his knowledge of the game. 

Even then his options would’ve been exceptionally limited. He could easily have went and sighed a bunch of nothing, unproven OF youngsters but it would only have been another stick to beat him with when they turned out to be shite.

Two of his signings were highly culpable today. It’s been glossed over due to the overall clusterfuck but how the hell does a professional goalkeeper concede that first goal today? And then Barjonas plays our only defence splitting pass all day, shame it was our defence though.

6 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

The whole thing with the hard work of the last few years being ruined is disheartening yes but it was always going to be incredibly difficult once the crux of the team and McCall left to take the team forward.

Regression. That's what that is. 

We're miles behind other teams with genuine ambitions of promotion to the SPL. I genuinely mean miles behind. 

Years of treading water in a footballing sense, general stagnation, poor decision making and an infrastructure behind the scenes that belongs in League One or Two don't get overturned overnight. 

It takes a performance like today's to clearly see things as they are. 

Hopkin isn't turning this ship around anytime soon, if ever. He might have had failings coming into the job, not having a hard working, organised team wasn't one of the failings I had him down for.