The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

If Hopkins has a superior budget to say Morton , QoS  and ICT next season , assuming we and they are all in the Championship, then I wouldn’t expect him to do his summer shopping in the bargain bucket , hoping to pull out a couple of diamonds like McCall did with LS and Rose .  Not for players that will be first eleven material .  This is because we can’t take a punt on league survival again . If Smith is being truthful about his ambitions for the club that is . We must simply pay the going rate or better it for certain positions . 

So hypothetically let’s imagine Hoppy likes Toderov and sees him as a vital part of our team for next season , only problem is ICT are offering him £900 a week on a one year deal . I am being optimistic that Smith would sign off on a superior package and the big fella joins us .  I’m hoping  this is the kind of ambition we can show in dealings for three or four pivotal positions in the starting eleven . All the other signings can be jobbers , rough  un-polished diamonds ,punts or loans . That’s the kind off backing that gives Hopkins the opportunity to build a team he really wants . Judge him after that , ...

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

If use are that upset about it fire an email to the club and make your feelings known

It's not a matter of being upset though is it? If Hopkin has over 40,000 shares in a club in the same league it must be something that needs addressed. I've never heard of a manager having shares in another club in the same division. 

You'd like to think it might have been brought up during the recruitment process by Hopkin himself, no? Maybe it was and the club are happy with the situation. 

Maybe the Morton fans can advise if these shares were given in lieu of wages when things were getting a bit tight financially. I can't think of a scenario where a manager would put his hand in his pocket and actually buy shares from his employers. Even given Hopkin's close links to the club. 

Imagine we played Morton in the last game of the season with a winner stays up scenario at stake?! 🙈

3 hours ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Is that not a conflict of interest? 

2 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I'd certainly say so! Cant say it sits easy with me tbh

I'm not sure it is, he owns 1% of Morton.

Different story if he had a higher % ownership and he was earning some sort of return and would benefit in some way financially from Morton's performance. I can't imagine Morton are paying dividends.

I would imagine it's an interest he would have declared when he applied for the job. However, it doesn't preclude him from being Ayr United manager. 

I don't think the optics are particularly good though. Would imagine he will be punting the shares when the fans take over at Morton.

11 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

I never looked at the figures as to the percentage he owns. If it’s as low as that then I have very little issue with it. 

how diluted are Morton’s shares though if he owns 40000 odd shares and it’s less than 1%😂

Aye, they have 4,017,816, nominally worth 25p a share. So Hoppy's shareholding is worth approx £10k.

He received the shares in 2003 from the Rae's and the same year he also appears to have had to retire due to injuries so may have just been a token gesture given he was a local guy.

It didn't appear to impact how his Livi side performed against Morton and I doubt it will be at the front of his mind during these last 3 games.

Was Hoppy manager at Morton for the Trial-gate scandal?
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/morton-facing-sfa-hammering-unapproved-23915395
interested to see what the consequences may be for a team with no money

The first I’d heard of it was about a month ago so I just presumed it happened around that time.

Only fair outcome is a hefty points deduction imo.

17 minutes ago, bazka6 said:

Was Hoppy manager at Morton for the Trial-gate scandal?

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/morton-facing-sfa-hammering-unapproved-23915395

interested to see what the consequences may be for a team with no money

No, Hopkin was not manager of any of our Youth Academy teams, one of which took part in that game. Happy to help.

8 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

No, Hopkin was not manager of any of our Youth Academy teams, one of which took part in that game. Happy to help.

Thanks chief, no implications for him then. Youth team or not still Greenock Morton FC, not sweating just a wee bit? 😉 guess we’ll find out today.

We can but hope I’m sure it’ll come to nothing though lol. Looks like it’ll be some sort of fine.

Edited by bazka6

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

McElhone was the interim manager at the time the game happened, but no idea who was involved in arranging and approving it.

And unlikely he would even have had anything to do with an academy team arranging a friendly.

7 hours ago, bazka6 said:

Thanks chief, no implications for him then. Youth team or not still Greenock Morton FC, not sweating just a wee bit? 😉 guess we’ll find out today.

We can but hope I’m sure it’ll come to nothing though lol. Looks like it’ll be some sort of fine.

As long as Hopkin as a key shareholder doesn't offer to pay the fine seeing as he is loaded.

Sweating? No. I am actually buzzing about the prospect of the club getting a huge fine that Crawford Rae will have to pay.

£2m should just about cover it.