The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

39 minutes ago, Thumper said:

That's precisely the fucking point. There is no "natural norm" here to regress to. Ayr do not "deserve" to have gates of 1000 any more than Hamilton do, and Hamilton have been an absolute pile of garbage wedged into the relegation zone of the SPL for the last 15 years like a tampon in an airplane toilet.

The "mean" being referenced here is not some natural order: it's the 1978 zone of the mid-00s that Ayr fans for a generation have erroneously considered themselves to belong in after DL fucked everything up.

Monsters Inc Hug GIF

Of course there's a natural norm, which like it or not is driven largely by a clubs income / playing budget. 

Both of which can be massively affected, in the Scottish game at least, by a clubs home attendance every second week, which is why I brought that up.

If we had 8000 people going to home games do you not think we'd be able to reassess what we'd accept as the "norm"? Your term not mine. 

If we were mythically restructuring the leagues tomorrow, I think most fans would be able to rank, fairly accurately, all 42 senior teams from top to bottom. Take a step back for a minute and ask yourself how they'd start to compile this list? 

Average attendances, club turnover, club facilities, historical achievements would all be used to some extent along with lots of other factors hopefully. Of course football isn't set in stone and that's the attraction of supporting a small provincial team, getting your day in the sun and the element of unpredictability from week to week and overachieving generally.

If you accept short term overachievement exists then you have to accept regression as well. Teams won't be able to keep overachieving, Hamilton included. 

Teams will fluctuate in the relative short term but there's absolutely a natural pecking order in the longer term. 

I'd also say that teams get the attendances that over time they deserve to get. Some clubs are better than others at maintaining that long term relationship with their fan base. As we know too well, once fans are lost, they rarely come back. In the modern era you'll struggle to massively grow home attendances at most clubs, sadly ours included. 

7 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Arbroath kick-off moved to 12 noon. 

That will allow fans to mourn not only Prince Philip but also Ayr's Championship status. 

This deserves a greeny but I’m afraid if I do it we will end up in 9th. I reckon it will be a low scoring draw like what seems like 70% of our results this season 

8 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Also POTY can get in the bin. Bunch of underperforming shitebags 

So you are saying the likes  of Muirhead ,Sinisola  and McCowan should be punished for their performances due to the poor performances by the majority of their fellow  team mates  , surely they should have the chance to be recognised by the fans by winning a trophy they deserve 

Edited by Robbo63

I see the latest reconstruction plans call for a twelve team championship. You would like to think a well managed Ayr United could stay perpetually among the top 22 clubs if that came about.

49 minutes ago, Iain said:

I see the latest reconstruction plans call for a twelve team championship. You would like to think a well managed Ayr United could stay perpetually among the top 22 clubs if that came about.

Don't think it will happen, it is another convoluted attempt to shoehorn in the old firm colts. If they are so eager to play they should be allowed entry to the bottom tier and have to work their way up the West of Scotland league tiers, rather than trying to jump the queue ahead of teams who are far more deserving of a place. Personally would never bother going to watch Ayr v any of the U21s in the challenge cup. Would much rather those places were taken up by sides from the highland and lowland leagues. 

1 hour ago, Robbo63 said:

So you are saying the likes  of Muirhead ,Sinisola  and McCowan should be punished for their performances due to the poor performances by the majority of their fellow  team mates  , surely they should have the chance to be recognised by the fans by winning a trophy they deserve 

They've been shite too if we are honest. 

See Arbroath refused a 17:30 kick off on Saturday. Did they not piss us about with a fixture change last season as well? 

I remember we allowed a 1pm kick off against Montrose to allow them to get back up the road in time for the Campbell brothers birthday party. 

player of they year and goal of the year will be an easy choice this year, there is very little to chose from in either category.

player of the year - McCowan. Has been inconsistent but gives plenty of effort

young player of the year - Sinisalo, had he been in his late 20s it would have been a performance you’d have expected from a keeper this season, the fact he is so young has been impressive.

Goal of the season - Walsh at Albion Rovers. It was either that or McKenzies at Dundee. 

Pretty poor from Arbroath, though much what I’d expect given their behaviour around the abandoned game last season.  They’re at it, so maybe we can use it to fire up the players a bit.  It would be nice to think something might.

7 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

See Arbroath refused a 17:30 kick off on Saturday. Did they not piss us about with a fixture change last season as well?

In fairness, I imagine the Campbells will be looking to be in some Arbroath Loyal lock-in drowning their sorrows for one of theirs lost by 17:30 on Saturday.

3 hours ago, Robbo63 said:

I dont think any of them would give a toss about an award this season. A - Theres been no fans there to see their performances and B - an award will mean nothing if it goes alongside relegation. 

Whist those 3 have been "better" than the others, I'd still say nobody set the heather alight 

Of this years squad  my view and stating the obvious is they  are just Generally hopeless with the exception of a FEW who have been mentioned on here, it has been correctly pointed out you still have to nominate P -O - Y and Y-P-O- Y Regardless how crap we have been.

Two players  that have really irked me were Anderson after a few games who just downed tools till he got a move and reborn at Hamilton, and Zanatta  the clown , posting media comments about his pre contract  done deliberately to try and push through his move early. BothWe’re absolute charlatans and clearly not triers  in an Ayr jersey.

Saturdays kick off means a very early start for the team while Arbroath get a lye in clearly an advantage to them surely the later time was a no brainer.