The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

How can hopkin be happy with that yesterday? If the players are at each other’s throats last week I’d want more of a response. The guy isn’t the right guy to lead this team why the f**k was he given a 2year deal?

I’d assume it’s because he set us up not to lose and although we went a goal down, we came back into it and never really gave Dunfermline anything. We’ve got absolutely nothing up front but I think Hopkin knows that and would rather us prioritise not losing over trying to win.

11 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’d assume it’s because he set us up not to lose and although we went a goal down, we came back into it and never really gave Dunfermline anything. We’ve got absolutely nothing up front but I think Hopkin knows that and would rather us prioritise not losing over trying to win.

Dunfermline were just as bad as us yesterday and we’re there for the taking. Out of our 4 remaining games yesterday’s was probably our most winnable of the lot. We probably need one win from our last three games to finish 9th but I really can’t see where we’re getting that. Arbroath will be right up for the fight next week and QOS are a bit of a bogey team for us and they will be going for a playoff place. We never win in Inverness. 

12 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Dunfermline were just as bad as us yesterday and we’re there for the taking. Out of our 4 remaining games yesterday’s was probably our most winnable of the lot. We probably need one win from our last three games to finish 9th but I really can’t see where we’re getting that. Arbroath will be right up for the fight next week and QOS are a bit of a bogey team for us and they will be going for a playoff place. We never win in Inverness. 

We have absolutely no fire power , I still don’t understand why we did not get a forward in before window closed it was as clear as day to everyone that we had no one looking like they were going to score goals ,

Edited by Robbo63

Pitch was a bit better yesterday than on Tuesday and our goal was a good example of playing from back to front, along the ground and avoiding hoofball. Although McCowan wasn't fit he was involved in our goal and he's important for us - hope he's okay for next Saturday and glad we don't have a Tuesday game. Young Mackenzie struggled to find space and, if fit, I think Moffat will replace him at Arbroath next week. We played well in defence (their goal aside - cross should have been blocked before any Pars player got near it). RR losing a two goal lead was a sickener but the players need to get something at Arbroath - 3 defeats in one season from them is bordering on the unthinkable.       

Yeah I agree that Dunfermline were there for the taking but the flip side of that is we could just of easily have lost it had we decided to go for the win.

Arbroath is probably the hardest game we’ve got left although they aren’t actually that good. If we go up there with the same mentality and tactics as we had yesterday we’ll most likely come back with a point. All we can hope is that by the time we play Inverness, they’ve got a top 4 position confirmed and are looking towards their first playoff match.

11 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

We have absolutely no fire power , I still don’t understand why we did not get a forward in before window closed it was as clear as day to everyone that we had no one looking like they were going to score goals ,

Yeah, Hopkin was in Ayrshire Post before it was announced Cammy Smith was leaving saying we needed a striker. Cammy Smith then left and we replaced him with Josh Todd but never signed an actual striker. 

None of Wright, McKenzie or Moffat are going to score enough goals to get us out of trouble. We’re probably relying on Luke McCowan but he looked completely done yesterday. 

7 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Yeah I agree that Dunfermline were there for the taking but the flip side of that is we could just of easily have lost it had we decided to go for the win.

Arbroath is probably the hardest game we’ve got left although they aren’t actually that good. If we go up there with the same mentality and tactics as we had yesterday we’ll most likely come back with a point. All we can hope is that by the time we play Inverness, they’ve got a top 4 position confirmed and are looking towards their first playoff match.

Aye, If ICT are guaranteed a playoff place and field we their u12’s we might manage a point. 

49 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Would agree with this. Hopkin has obviously decided we're better off shitfesting 3 draws and it'll be just enough. The margins are so fine though. 

The issue we've got is that we can't go baws oot because we don't have the attackers for that. 

It means he is focusing on making us hard to beat but it feels like we are only playing for 2 results - a draw or a loss tbh.

It's also brutal to watch but if it gets us there in the end I'll be content (not happy!)

I actually expected it was going to be brutal viewing but it's really turgid stuff we're being served up right now.

Edited by Trogdor

I think our best option up front is a 2 with Moffat and McCowan.

Chalmers in left mid as he at least looked like he contribute with Reading doing a lot of the work for him Muirhead and Barjonas in the middle and Mikey Miller on Right mid as he can cover Houston when he switches off.
Back 4 of Houston,Baird, Ndaba and Reading.

I was tempted to put Roscoe in place of Baird but it won't happen. Neither inspire confidence but we have seen Roscoe snuff out Shankland. He does have good games which I can't say about Baird.

In fact possibly McKenzie right mid and Miller at RB could work

If there are any positives to take from yesterday, it is that we didn't lose our point advantage and we are a game closer to the finish line. 

Playing as defensive minded a team as we did yesterday, we lost a very soft goal and had very little by way of forward threat. It is a long way from signing two "exciting" wingers at the start of the season. Playing defensive midfielders is good if you are attacking and they are supporting at the back to allow full backs to push forward but if you aren't attacking it all falls a bit flat.

Our recent success has been built of attacking football on the ground, Kerr tried to build on it and failed, but signed players that should want to play football. The signing of Wright and Dirnan were supposed to add a dimension when we were struggling to break a team down. For me, it seems bizarre that Hopkin is trying to abandon playing football with the players we have and is going long without playing Wright. 

McKenzie hasn't really shown to be a particular forward, he's not a big forward or a penalty box player but isn't a Smith/McCowan type either. His goals at Dundee were a mixed bag so it's hard to see where he fits in to the team and who would be a good partner for him. His goals came as part of the football we played under McCall, attacking in numbers and allowing forwards to find space. Currently, we lump a long ball, 9/10 times the player is crowded out immediately and we lose possession. Or they retain the ball but have little support and more often than not, play a ball in to the middle where we have no players. Hopkin spoke about going back to basics and then played 5 at the back, a midfield of two defenders and a loan player he hasn't given a start to before and played two up front that have always played as part of a three. Not really back to basics. 

We have lost all patient build up, full-backs and wingers overlapping, passing back through the midfield and switching wings looking for an opening, allowing the forwards and supporting midfielders time to find space, we just fire a ball in the vague direction of the penalty spot and hope for the best. 

16 hours ago, rb123! said:

No disrespect to Morton but it's an absolute disgrace that we're near them. 

We should be pumping teams like them with the squad we have.

You won't find many Morton fans that disagree. We have the worst squad in the league, had Hopkin then went months with a fitness coach masquerading as a manager.

How we are not cut adrift at the bottom shows just how bad other teams have fucked up.

13 hours ago, rb123! said:

Wait what is he a shareholder at Morton????

2nd largest. Happy to help.

Edited by Jamie_M

I'd play a back 4 of Houston, Ndaba, Roscoe and Reading. Have Muirhead in front of them, This means we can defend as a 5 at the back and attack with 3. Miller beside Muirhead to sit in Muirheads position when we attack. The third in midfield would be Chalmers. If Roscoe, Muirhead or Miller win the ball they have two options, give it directly to either Chalmers or Ndaba, nothing else. 

Up front would be McCowan, Moffat and McKenzie, all swapping sides during the game. As soon as we are in possession, both full-backs and wide players show for a pass from Chalmers or Ndaba. 

I think if you ask Arbroath and Morton fans they'd swap our current league position, squad and goal difference for theres. 

It's terrible to watch of that there is no doubt, but we've massively over achieved since getting promoted and hopefully an 8th place finish is more a regression to the mean. 

We're still in there fighting like Arbroath and Morton are. 

3 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Fixed it for you

To be fair after going a goal down yesterday I feared the worst but credit surely goes to the team for grinding out a point. 

I've been as critical as anyone about them but there was some fight in them I thought. Barjonas in his first league start in over a year, at least showed a willingness to get us forward. 

Edited by BukyOHare

6 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

I think if you ask Arbroath and Morton fans they'd swap our current league position, squad and goal difference for theres. 

It's terrible to watch of that there is no doubt, but we've massively over achieved since getting promoted and hopefully an 8th place finish is more a regression to the mean. 

We're still in there fighting like Arbroath and Morton are. 

Maybe a month ago, but our squad is now absolutely rancid and Arbroath have by far the better fixtures out of the sides. 

Arbroath also have Doolan, who is obviously better than every single one of our players 👀

48 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Yeah, Hopkin was in Ayrshire Post before it was announced Cammy Smith was leaving saying we needed a striker. Cammy Smith then left and we replaced him with Josh Todd but never signed an actual striker. 

None of Wright, McKenzie or Moffat are going to score enough goals to get us out of trouble. We’re probably relying on Luke McCowan but he looked completely done yesterday. 

Aye, If ICT are guaranteed a playoff place and field we their u12’s we might manage a point. 

Hopkin signing wingers and midfielders? Not a surprise.