The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

One of the priorities in the summer should be bringing in 2 or 3 players with some real experience and are as McCall would say “captain material”. Jack Baird is not a captain and our only other contender is Aaron Muirhead who is always likely to do something stupid. An experienced centre half and midfielder to add to the spine of the team would go a long way to improving this team.

7 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I seen a couple of negative comments already about the Somerset Hub, more to do with the fact it was originally meant to be open for season starting but now told it’ll be around 6 months. 

Haha - thats actually impressive that despite all the on field issues to complain about folk can find a bit of extra negativity about the Hub.   Fair to play them i suppose.  

I might be completely off but one thing which struck me about Ayr when we've played you was the lack of players who are b*****ds to play against. The type you love if their in your squad, but a nightmare for opposition. Jamie Adams was pretty much king of this. I felt that if you had someone a bit more hard hitting, then you'd turned at least one of the draws against us into wins. It was the key factor in the season you won the league.

2 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

I might be completely off but one thing which struck me about Ayr when we've played you was the lack of players who are b*****ds to play against. The type you love if their in your squad, but a nightmare for opposition. Jamie Adams was pretty much king of this. I felt that if you had someone a bit more hard hitting, then you'd turned at least one of the draws against us into wins. It was the key factor in the season you won the league.

Think a few of us have mentioned that throughout the season - moving Muirhead into central midfield has possibly helped a little with that but he’s still no Jamie Adams. 

In Geggan, Adams and Bell we lost three of those players. Even the likes of Shankland were very physical at times. 

Edited by No_Problemo

2 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

An absolutely perfect view from an opposing point of view.  From that season we have lost Andy Geggan,  Craig Reid, Jamie Adams, Steven Bell, Chris Higgins, Lawrence Shankland and Craig Moore and to a lesser extent Paddy Boyle and Ross Docherty who all had that bit of dig about them and dragged everyone else up.   There's nobody other than Muirhead who even comes close at the moment.  

Aye this

In the last year we’ve lost Adams, Bell and Geggan. Add in to that Ross Docherty who had a bit of an edge to him and replaced them with guys who just don’t have the same fight in them. Those games against Raith in League One weren’t just about who played the best football but also who won the physical battles. Obviously led to ourselves being labelled dirty at times or even “agricultural” after the 1-1 draw at Starks. I want scenes like Shankland having a sly stamp at Ross Matthews or Craig Reid grabbing Bobby Barr by the throat. This is such a shower of gutless shitebags you couldn’t rely on them in a physical battle.

5 minutes ago, Hursty said:

An absolutely perfect view from an opposing point of view.  From that season we have lost Andy Geggan,  Craig Reid, Jamie Adams, Steven Bell, Chris Higgins, Lawrence Shankland and Craig Moore and to a lesser extent Paddy Boyle and Ross Docherty who all had that bit of dig about them and dragged everyone else up.   There's nobody other than Muirhead who even comes close at the moment.  

From that season, one of the things I recall was Ladbrokes doing a celebration after you'd scored a hundred goals with the players on the pitch. I just remember watching the video thinking "means f**k all if you don't win the league". About 10 seconds later, someone  (might have been Geggan) literally said "We've no' won the league yet". That title race should never have been as close as it was. Ayr fully deserved it. 

Edited by Broken Algorithms

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Honestly can we just go back and relive that season. I’d rather watch highlights from that year rather than watch this lot.

Got a wee buzz the other night when I was catching up on a View from the Terrace and Shaughan was talking about the loss of the indirect free kick in the box and the clip was that 1-1 draw at Starks.  That was brilliant that day.    Shabkland being brilliant, what seemed like every Ayr player getting booked, big rammy's and that free kick incident all being 120 yards away and we couldn't see a thing but still being raging about it, and Jack Ruddy not yet being my most hated Ayr keeper ever. Prettty sure it was a 4 4 2 with Bell and Adams in centre midfield.   Lovely stuff 

Got a wee buzz the other night when I was catching up on a View from the Terrace and Shaughan was talking about the loss of the indirect free kick in the box and the clip was that 1-1 draw at Starks.  That was brilliant that day.    Shabkland being brilliant, what seemed like every Ayr player getting booked, big rammy's and that free kick incident all being 120 yards away and we couldn't see a thing but still being raging about it, and Jack Ruddy not yet being my most hated Ayr keeper ever. Prettty sure it was a 4 4 2 with Bell and Adams in centre midfield.   Lovely stuff 

Aye I mind Paddy Boyle talking about that game and they knew before it they couldn’t lose but because of the attacking players they had they pretty much had to go and try and win it. Said they piled that many players forward, everyone ended up getting booked just chasing Raith players back and hacking them down.

18 minutes ago, Hursty said:

It was Bell & Adams in the middle. You'd be lucky to come out with two legs trying to run through those two. Happy memories.

1 minute ago, Broken Algorithms said:

f anyone gets out of line I'll rake out the match footage of the 0-0 draw back in December.

Nobody’s gonna get out of line with any Raith fans on this forum . Rovers are the best football team in the division . Just a pity they had that slight dip after Christmas, the title might just have been theirs if they hadn’t . However the vultures will be hovering, waiting to pick of their out of contract guys in the summer .

1 minute ago, North British said:

Nobody’s gonna get out of line with any Raith fans on this forum . Rovers are the best football team in the division . Just a pity they had that slight dip after Christmas, the title might just have been theirs if they hadn’t . However the vultures will be hovering, waiting to pick of their out of contract guys in the summer .

Need @itzdrk to wade into one of our threads to start shithousing tbh. I'm fully anticipating that we encounter the same issue Ayr have had over the last few seasons as you say. If we get promoted, we might be able to keep some of our key players but failing that I'd expect Hendry and Musonda to both be off. 

41 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Since we're all being so negative here's a positive outlook... we could still mathematically finish 2nd

I’ll happily take three home wins and bin the season .

2 hours ago, rb123! said:

Since we're all being so negative here's a positive outlook... we could still mathematically finish 2nd

Lovely - a 2nd place finish then sign Lewis Vaughan for a laugh just to break the hearts of decent Raith lads like @Broken Algorithms.   

More likely finish 9th, Geggan sends us down in the playoffs and we have Robbie Muirhead leading the line as we battle to 5th under Hoppyball next year in L1.... but a man can dream 😄 

6 hours ago, North British said:

Roscoe , Dud .

There is a real shortage of young, decent centre halfs. Roscoe at the moment is an average championship level centre half but he is still young. Rose was able to play right back or midfield because of his ability to play football from the back. Roscoe was seen as a   replacement for him because he came from Aberdeen an was an undr21 player, Roscoe is a ball winning defender, doesn't dive in to tackles giving away free kicks and he  wins his headers. It would be harder to replace him n the squad than most of the other positions. I am not saying he should be first choice but I think he is worth a place in the squad.

In every centre half pairing you need one to slow them down and one to step on them, one to pass the ball and one to leather it in to the stand. Roscoe would do well along side Ndaba. 

Moffat is finished imo. He’s been a shadow of the player he was for the last 2 seasons. Never known a so called attacking player that is so shite when one on one with the keeper. 

I’d also not be upset at losing 80% of this seasons squad. Baird and Chalmers have been big let downs, Walsh is far too injury prone. Moore is another that spends more time on the treatment table than the pitch. Seriously scunnered