The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

16 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I’m not sure Moffat is done tbh, the way we have set up all season has negated every single one of his attributes. 

He missed a sitter yesterday and not for the first time in recent games , in all honesty yesterday we created the opportunities to score a few  goals , that was not down to poor management it was down to poor finishing

Moffat , McKenzie x2 , McCowan and Muirhead all had good goal scoring chances that other teams are putting away 

Edited by Robbo63

2 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

He missed a sitter yesterday and not for the first time in recent games , in all honesty yesterday we created the opportunities to score a few  goals , that was not down to poor management it was down to poor finishing

Moffat , McKenzie x2 , McCowan and Muirhead all had good goal scoring chances that other teams are putting away 

Finishing definitely isn’t one of his good attributes though! 
I don’t think it’s McKenzie’s either - and he needs to improve that to do well at this level. 

Keep

• Sinisalo
  • Ndaba
  • Houston
  • Reading
  • Baird
  • Muirhead
  • McCowan
  • Murdoch 
  • McKenzie
  • Barjonas & Walsh (possibly)

Punt

• Everyone else 

Defensively i wouldn't say is our biggest issue, in fact it's probably one of our strength areas which is strange to think considering our position, it's the midfield who offer no protection or willingness to track back to help the defence.

Along with not having any attacking players seemingly capable of hitting a barn door never-mind the back of the net.

8 hours ago, AyrExile said:

Kerr got a free pass for around 12 months before criticism was acceptable then further can kicking waiting for a transfer window to fix his errors.  Would have thought Hopkin might have got a bit more latitude than this tbh

I gave Kerr the benefit of the doubt as it was his first job and he was clearly working hard behind the scenes, I liked his style as a player and really hoped he could get Ayr playing well and believed he could.     Hopkin however has proved that what we are seeing right now is absolutely all we are going to get so I'm far less patient - especially as we look like we are going down and the damage caused by a year of no fans and trying to all of a sudden try and persuade fans back to watch us slugging it out with shite football in the middle of League 1 after folk have got used to a year of not going to the football could be catastrophic.  Was hard enough getting folk in to watch us scoring 120 odd goals with Shankland and Moore etc. 

15 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I think Moffat is fine as a 3rd or 4th choice striker in this league. We really do need to make sure we get a couple of good options in the door over the summer.

Think he will kept on for that purpose along with doing a role within the back room staff 

2 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Think he will kept on for that purpose along with doing a role within the back room staff 

Would assume this would be fitness coach or something in a similar vein give his PT work?

5 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Where is Moore fitness wise? Saw he was advertising fitness boot camps every Saturday morning so I assume he is fit enough to do that but unlikely to be fit enough to make any match day squads ?  

4 minutes ago, Hursty said:

I gave Kerr the benefit of the doubt as it was his first job and he was clearly working hard behind the scenes, I liked his style as a player and really hoped he could get Ayr playing well and believed he could.     Hopkin however has proved that what we are seeing right now is absolutely all we are going to get so I'm far less patient - especially as we look like we are going down and the damage caused by a year of no fans and trying to all of a sudden try and persuade fans back to watch us slugging it out with shite football in the middle of League 1 after folk have got used to a year of not going to the football could be catastrophic.  Was hard enough getting folk in to watch us scoring 120 odd goals with Shankland and Moore etc. 

Have to agree with you on that, for the first time this season I was sitting watching on Saturday thinking I really can't be arsed renewing my ST to watch that style of football. 

As these things go with football our opinions and feelings rapidly change from one extreme to the other quite easily. Just now it's a feeling of being absolutely scunnered, part of that is maybe not being at the games in person. Come July once we see the shape of the new squad it might be a very easy choice to renew with the right signings.

On paper this year we looked like we could do the business. I felt very optimistic of a playoff berth being very achievable. Buying a ST was a no brainer. 

4 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

Have to agree with you on that, for the first time this season I was sitting watching on Saturday thinking I really can't be arsed renewing my ST to watch that style of football. 

As these things go with football our opinions and feelings rapidly change from one extreme to the other quite easily. Just now it's a feeling of being absolutely scunnered, part of that is maybe not being at the games in person. Come July once we see the shape of the new squad it might be a very easy choice to renew with the right signings.

On paper this year we looked like we could do the business. I felt very optimistic of a playoff berth being very achievable. Buying a ST was a no brainer. 

Absolutely.  I (as everyone else is probably the same) can't wait to get back to games, but excitement about it is massively less when we could be in a league with one of Cove, Partick or Falkirk and possibly nobody that will bring a decent away crowd.     

I've said before that I don't mind a direct style, in fact at our level I probably prefer it.  But there is a million miles of a difference between going direct with the likes of Ndaba or Rose when he was here playing long passes that are accurate and aimed somewhere to forwards that are making the right runs to what we have had v Alloa and Clyde where its whoever is at the back shelling it long with absolutely no idea what is happening next and hoping for the best.    Thats eye bleeding to watch and the sort of thing you would expect going to watch an amateur game at the KG5 / Oval every week.     

This is getting a bit depressing. I love all the we're already down chat. Despite it being in our hands, don't panic. It's gonna be brutal but I believe we'll stay up.

As I said already, We're averaging enough points under Hopkin to stay up. If we keep going as we have been we'll end up with 31/32 points and be just safe.

I think its clear certain posters have never taken to Hopkin. It was the same after we lost to Hearts despite him being in the door 2 days. We need to be a bit more objective, we're not doomed yet. He's also not been able to assemble his own squad and we have a squad of chicken hearted shitebags.

I still think it's more likely than not that we'll be in the Championship next season. Keep the heids!

Edited by Trogdor

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

I'll also add, off the field we have the Somerset Hub coming.

All this negative chat can get in the sea along with this aberration of a season.

I seen a couple of negative comments already about the Somerset Hub, more to do with the fact it was originally meant to be open for season starting but now told it’ll be around 6 months. 

For what it’s worth, here is my take on things right now.

1. Hopkins remit is to keep us up.
It really doesn’t matter how he does it just as long as he gets the job done.

2. Hopkins style of play.
I wouldn’t look too much into how he is playing. These are not his players and they have already let a previous manager down this season. Again, his job is to keep us up - not try to sell season tickets.

3. The players.
Clearly not good enough as a collective from the first ball kicked this season - most will be punted, if that I have no doubt.

4. The moff.
Not a striker and hasn’t been for a few seasons now, but has to be one of the best link-up players
I’ve ever seen in and around the edge of the 18 yard box. Please keep and play to his strength.

5. Clyde.
Was one of the very few streams I chose not to watch and went to Dunure instead. Should have used it as a training session. League safety is the one and only priority.

6. League safety.
I’m confident that we can end up safe. With Kerr, we were on a hell of a run, and something had to change. Still got the same squad, so there is only so much that Hopkin can do, and he has won as many points as anyone could have hoped for considering the run we were on.

7. Rest of the season.
All that we can do is cross our fingers and toes that the players, who we have berated the entire season, and who most know will not be here next season, will put in some effort for us - the fans.
Doesn’t sound too promising when put that way - so I hope Hopkin plays those who actually show some ‘want’ to be here, and to play for Ayr United. Doesn’t matter what age or how many games they’ve played or not played.

50 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Keep

• Sinisalo
  • Ndaba
  • Houston
  • Reading
  • Baird
  • Muirhead
  • McCowan
  • Murdoch 
  • McKenzie
  • Barjonas & Walsh (possibly)

Being realistic we won't keep Sinisalo or Ndaba. I also expect McCowan will be away.

Baird is a bombscare, he is only retained as he has 2 year deal.

Bajornas & Walsh - I would agree both are in the maybe column heading for punt for me.

Part of me says retain Moore & Moffat but I'm sentimental like that.

Edited by Trogdor

6 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

This is getting a bit depressing. I love all the we're already down chat. Despite it being in our hands, don't panic. It's gonna be brutal but I believe we'll stay up.

As I said already, We're averaging enough points under Hopkin to stay up. If we keep going as we have been we'll end up with 31/32 points and be just safe.

I think its clear certain posters have never taken to Hopkin. It was the same after we lost to Hearts despite him being in the door 2 days. We need to be a bit more objective, we're not doomed yet. He's also not been able to assemble his own squad and we have a squad of chicken hearted shitebags.

I still think it's more likely than not that we'll be in the Championship next season. Keep the heids!

To be fair, if we can win one of the next 2 games and get a point at Arbroath we SHOULD be fine.   If you had asked me yesterday morning if we would get it I'd have been fairly confident.  Just not seeing it the now.  

7 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I seen a couple of negative comments already about the Somerset Hub, more to do with the fact it was originally meant to be open for season starting but now told it’ll be around 6 months. 

Really? 

I'm maybe getting old (and more patient) but some of our fanbase are a bunch of gurners.

Edited by Trogdor

Have to hope there are relegation release clauses in those two year deals we handed out.  

I don't care that Hopkin has shown to be crap at this, I'm more here for the emptying the chancers than what comes after.