The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Maybe we're doing Kerr a disservice saying we wouldnt have beaten Dundee, seeing as he did manage to get the win v them at Somerset earlier in the season. 
Hopefully next season when Hopkin has been able to make his own signings we'll see the difference. And by see I mean actually being there and not watching some shit stream 

Dundee battered us in the game at Somerset and we really rode our luck for most of the game. With Hopkin we didn’t give them anything besides a cheap goal and could’ve scored more going forward.

6 minutes ago, edinburghhonestman said:
37 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:
Aside from the Dundee result, I reckon we'd have probably done the same in the games we've played had Kerr been in charge. Maybe even have got our usual win v Alloa. This is not a post moaning at Kerr's dismissal btw, he was an appointment we shouldn't have made in the first place. Was expecting a bit more from a Hopkin team out the blocks tbh. It's been a bit same old same old 

I was thinking we'd had a bit more fight about us and we're better organised since Hopkin came in but yesterday was a step back in my view. On a decent surface and against a centre half who was going to lap up a high ball but might be a bit slower over the ground, what did we do? Good it long to Moffat. Tactically naive.

I thought last week v Raith was a step back as well. Thought aside from the last 20 mins in that game we were very poor . I didnt see yesterday's game in full so I cant judge outwith the highlights but punting the ball to Moff is never a good idea 

Hopkins lost one game to Hearts after being in the job for two days, in another day we could have scored 3 or 4 yesterday and had one cleared of the line in the last min, progress has been made we are harder to beat and have scored in every game since Hearts we looked like we couldn't buy a goal 4 weeks ago, give the guy a break.

23 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Maybe we're doing Kerr a disservice saying we wouldnt have beaten Dundee, seeing as he did manage to get the win v them at Somerset earlier in the season. 

Hopefully next season when Hopkin has been able to make his own signings we'll see the difference. And by see I mean actually being there and not watching some shit stream 

Let's not forget we hadn't beaten a full time team away from home since Dunfermline in January 2020 under Kerr. That's pretty damning, with Kerr in charge there is no guarantee we would have beaten Morton and Dundee away. The stats suggested exactly the opposite. Hence the Chairman acted.

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Aside from the Dundee result, I reckon we'd have probably done the same in the games we've played had Kerr been in charge. Maybe even have got our usual win v Alloa. This is not a post moaning at Kerr's dismissal btw, he was an appointment we shouldn't have made in the first place. Was expecting a bit more from a Hopkin team out the blocks tbh. It's been a bit same old same old 

No we wouldn’t. After falling behind against Raith we would of slumped to a 1-0 loss. Similar yesterday we would of lost 2-1. 

2 hours ago, Jazzar said:

The day after the heat-of-battle comments - reckon we missed Muirhead in midfield as we didn't seem to win many aerial challenges in there. Miller did alright but Murdoch was largely annoymous. In retrospect, maybe we should have just stuck with Roscoe replacing Ndaba in order to keep Aero where he's been very good of late. I'm also consoled by the fact that we did create chances that on another day would have resulted in more than just the two goals we got - in addition, their second was a worldy even if we could have got to the second ball before the young lad got near it. That kind of 'if only' performance has resulted in many defeats this season - yesterday, we got a point albeit with a bit of luck. Lessons learned include taking your chances and being far more aggresive in midfield.    

This.

Unlike most I actually don't think we're too far away from having a pretty decent side, the performance at Dens confirmed that and all we need is a couple of tweaks which to my mind will make all the difference.

Tweak 1 is a destroyer in midfield and Muirhead fills this role well when not required at the back but we definitely need to make this position a priority.

Tweak 2 is a REAL Centre Forward who can hold the ball up, win knock downs / knock ons and provide a target for our ball playing wingers to either feed or play off. McKenzie has done ok but is a young boy still learning his trade and doesn't actually seem an out and out target man either.

I firmly believe that we'll stay up this season and then it's just a case of building for next.

A draw or better at Arbroath and then a win and a draw from either QOS, Dundee or Dunfermline should let us relax for the final day for the trip to Inverness. Our superior goal difference basically gives us an extra point in the bag over both Arbroath and Morton and neither of them are looking like stringing positive results together either, so hopefully we'll be fine.

14 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Unlike most I actually don't think we're too far away from having a pretty decent side, the performance at Dens confirmed that and all we need is a couple of tweaks which to my mind will make all the difference.

Tweak 1 is a destroyer in midfield and Muirhead fills this role well when not required at the back but we definitely need to make this position a priority.

Tweak 2 is a REAL Centre Forward who can hold the ball up, win knock downs / knock ons and provide a target for our ball playing wingers to either feed or play off. McKenzie has done ok but is a young boy still learning his trade and doesn't actually seem an out and out target man either.

I firmly believe that we'll stay up this season and then it's just a case of building for next.

A draw or better at Arbroath and then a win and a draw from either QOS, Dundee or Dunfermline should let us relax for the final day for the trip to Inverness. Our superior goal difference basically gives us an extra point in the bag over both Arbroath and Morton and neither of them are looking like stringing positive results together either, so hopefully we'll be fine.

Pretty much agree with the above , but I’d say a second , central midfield presence would be helpful . A dream summer signing bag would be : Doohan , Ndaba , Sibald  and Drinan ..... However reality tells me a bit of a down grade on those four is more lightly but you know what I mean ..

1 minute ago, North British said:

Doohan , Ndaba , Sibald  and Drinan ..... 

I wish! - though another season of Sinisalo wouldn't be a bad thing. He seems to have worked on dealing with crosses on yesterday's evidence at least. We got Doohan for a second season so why not Sinisalo? 

4 minutes ago, North British said:

Pretty much agree with the above , but I’d say a second , central midfield presence would be helpful . A dream summer signing bag would be : Doohan , Ndaba , Sibald  and Drinan ..... However reality tells me a bit of a down grade on those four is more lightly but you know what I mean ..

Yes, I'd happily take all of them back and dare I say it, I wouldn't say No to Doc returning either.

57 minutes ago, North British said:

If Hoppy is looking at any Morton players Aidan McAdams is one I’d like us to look at. We’d require to pay compensation though due to his age and this may be reliant on Morton going down as he might see it as a sideward step. I suppose it’ll be depending on what his relationship was like with Hoppy. 

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

If Hoppy is looking at any Morton players Aidan McAdams is one I’d like us to look at. We’d require to pay compensation though due to his age and this may be reliant on Morton going down as he might see it as a sideward step. I suppose it’ll be depending on what his relationship was like with Hoppy. 

Would we be required to pay compensation? Hes 22 iirc and was at Rangers for a few years so surely Morton would be entitled to fck all?

2 hours ago, Jazzar said:

I wish! - though another season of Sinisalo wouldn't be a bad thing. He seems to have worked on dealing with crosses on yesterday's evidence at least. We got Doohan for a second season so why not Sinisalo? 

Seen someone on the official Facebook page blaming him for the second goal yesterday :lol::1eye

Would we be required to pay compensation? Hes 22 iirc and was at Rangers for a few years so surely Morton would be entitled to fck all?

They’d be entitled to something given he’s under 23 but because he’s only been there for a year it’ll be next to nothing

27 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Seen someone on the official Facebook page blaming him for the second goal yesterday :lol::1eye

Some of them have never taken to him. Rather than admit they were wrong they've doubled down and anything resembling a mistake is pounced upon. Yesterday was the same, in spite of the great save he made from Robertson.

Edited by Trogdor

6 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

I don't know whether it's the social media saturation or peoples frustration with the pandemic restrictions or a combination of things, however I've never come across such negativity as this season.

We seem to be having inquisitions over every single goal we lose and a couple of matches lost, results in "heads gone" moments for many.

I honestly believe some need a bit of a reality check as our players WILL make mistakes, our Manager and Coaches WILL make mistakes and we WILL definitely be losing games, irrespective of formations, quality of play or tactics as quite simply we're a second tier Scottish side with a bottom 5 budget and ultimately that's more or less how we've been performing.

We all want to see good football and see us win matches but we can't keep blaming Managers and Players for us not winning every week as that's NEVER going to happen whether we like it or not.

Who knows ? maybe we were spoiled with the McCall / Stewart couple of seasons of great football with Shankland, Forrest, Rose, Harvie, Kelly, Doohan etc all excelling but the fact they've all gone on to better things should maybe tell us that this isn't the "norm" and we maybe shouldn't set our expectations quite so high.

I just hope that we stay up and that Smith backs the team financially then we can maybe seriously look at promotion but in all seriousness with our current budget we have no right to expect to finish above your Dunfermline's, Dundee's or Inverness's of this league and in failing to do so should not be treated as some sort of abject failure.

I really do think that some should remember where we were just 4 years ago and irrespective of what's said, we HAVE made a HUGE leap forward in a very short time so while I'm not overjoyed about our performances this season, I AM still very pleased with the bigger picture, both on and off the pitch and DO look forward with optimism.

23 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

They’d be entitled to something given he’s under 23 but because he’s only been there for a year it’ll be next to nothing

Probably similar amount we paid Annan for Jordan Hart?

Probably similar amount we paid Annan for Jordan Hart?

I’m not sure what the actual criteria is when coming up with a figure. I presume it would be down to the clubs to agree to something and if that failed it would go to a tribunal where they would loot at different factors.

38 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I really do think that some should remember where we were just 4 years ago and irrespective of what's said, we HAVE made a HUGE leap forward in a very short time so while I'm not overjoyed about our performances this season, I AM still very pleased with the bigger picture, both on and off the pitch and DO look forward with optimism.

Uncle Ian found.

2 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Someone seems to think we're looking at a pre-contract from Morton, so could well be McAdams as a backup/cup keeper for Stryjek when McCrorie goes back