The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

6 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

If he is still a free agent, he hasn’t kicked a ball since March last year and is presumably in Belgium.

He's been posting stuff on his Instagram. Definitely back in France/Belgium and seemingly just living an influencer lifestyle. Doesn't seem interested in getting himself fit, one of his latest posts was him riding a quad bike through Bordeaux. 

I think he still has outstanding debt as well, down to the fact he didn't know what council tax was for 2 years and didn't know you were meant to pay it. Would be very surprised if he enters the UK again lol. 

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

Season 2 Episode 3 GIF by Paramount+

Out of contract isn't he? Fits the profile for the type of signing we go for too :D Same agent as the boy Kabia we signed from Ireland too, as well as two ex-Livi players Frizzell and Penrice (on loan).

Edited by ATLIS

11 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Out of contract isn't he? Fits the profile for the type of signing we go for too :D Same agent as the boy Kabia we signed from Ireland too, as well as two ex-Livi players Frizzell and Penrice (on loan).

I don't think he's ready for the step up just yet, I think he'll be another year here unless we go down.  

What's the script with McCowan then?

In all honesty he needs another year or two at this level. If you signed him right now you’d just end up finding this out for yourself and loaning him back out to a Championship team.

I’ve no doubt he’ll have offers in the summer given he’s out of contract but our chairman has spoken of the importance of keeping our best players for the next 2 or 3 seasons so I’d imagine we’ll make him a very good offer for renewal.

5 hours ago, WATTOO said:

No, you didn't imagine it, Ayr and Killie, St Mirren and Morton were treated the same as the other big rivals in Scotland and would rarely if ever be at home on the same day / weekend.

I assume it would have as much to do with Policing resource as anything else, plus of course they didn't want the fans clashing as there was lots of trouble in the 70's, 80's and 90's.

Why did they change it to allow us and Killie to play at home on the same day? Surely there is still the potential for trouble between fans of both clubs who are maybe travelling on the train down to Ayrshire...well not this season due to no fans being allowed 

28 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Why did they change it to allow us and Killie to play at home on the same day? Surely there is still the potential for trouble between fans of both clubs who are maybe travelling on the train down to Ayrshire...well not this season due to no fans being allowed 

Hardly any Policing required at games nowadays (apart from games involving the loony pair) and apart from that crowds at our games / likelihood of fans clashing is a lot less nowadays.

It's sad to say, but we're all becoming much more civilised (well, most of the time).

45 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Not really likely to be much crossover with the trains. Probably bulk of folk that are going by train likely moved up to Glasgow  or travel via Glasgow. 

10 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

In all honesty he needs another year or two at this level. If you signed him right now you’d just end up finding this out for yourself and loaning him back out to a Championship team.

I’ve no doubt he’ll have offers in the summer given he’s out of contract but our chairman has spoken of the importance of keeping our best players for the next 2 or 3 seasons so I’d imagine we’ll make him a very good offer for renewal.

He's 23. If he doesn't step up this Summer, then he'll just become another Blair Alston, who allowed his potential to wither, stepped up too late and hit a brick wall as he couldn't develop any further and had bad habits from lower league football now ingrained into him.

He's 23. If he doesn't step up this Summer, then he'll just become another Blair Alston, who allowed his potential to wither, stepped up too late and hit a brick wall as he couldn't develop any further and had bad habits from lower league football now ingrained into him.
Similar situation to Alan Forrest he's done well for livi this year at a similar to age difference is Alan was a first team regular from about 17.

Just now, Superhursy7 said:

Similar situation to Alan Forrest he's done well for livi this year at a similar to age difference is Alan was a first team regular from about 17.

Yeah McCowan started late, and that's fine, but it just means his window is smaller.

Forrest has been in and out Livis side all season with I think a lack of consistency. He gets away with that because he's young and developing. A 25yo in a similar situation is called a dud, and is also less likely to get a deal over 1 season long in the first place.

McCowan is running out of time to take the leap. I really like him and think in the right set up he could be an effective top flight player, potentially even brilliant. But if he stays another 2 years at Ayr he'll be back within 3.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I disagree, he barely played your us 3 seasons ago so I’d say one more year wouldn’t hurt him 

12 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Was it not with the advent of the SPL? Having two separate bodies creating their own fixture lists? Obviously the SPL cared not a toss about anyone outside their own kingdom.

There’s nothing to say that he’ll end up “another Blair Alston”. The fact is that he is not ready for Premiership football right now. When Forrest moved he was primed for top flight football.

He could easily wait until he was 24/25 and then step up. He’d probably be able to have clubs down South to pick from as well.

12 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

There’s nothing to say that he’ll end up “another Blair Alston”. The fact is that he is not ready for Premiership football right now. When Forrest moved he was primed for top flight football.

He could easily wait until he was 24/25 and then step up. He’d probably be able to have clubs down South to pick from as well.

There seems to be very few lower league winners who successfully make the step up for the first time at 24/25. 

Greg Stewart probably the only example.

52 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

There seems to be very few lower league winners who successfully make the step up for the first time at 24/25. 

Greg Stewart probably the only example.

I have absolutely no idea where you’re getting this patter from.

Lawrence Shankland, Liam Smith and Shaun Rooney (thought you might remember him) off the top of my head are examples just from this season that are all playing regularly and not looking out of place.

About half the Livingston team as well could fall into that bracket - the likes of Alan Lithgow, Keaghan Jacobs and Josh Mullin managed it alright.

Luke would 100% benefit form another year with us he has came on loads and I think he could step up playing wise but he still needs to mature a bit when things are not going well he tends to get visibly frustrated and that has probably contributed to his red cards, signing a 2 year deal with us would be a win win for all parties

2 hours ago, Handofdavid said:

Was it not with the advent of the SPL? Having two separate bodies creating their own fixture lists? Obviously the SPL cared not a toss about anyone outside their own kingdom.

Wonder if the authorities would start caring again if we’re in the same league as them next season! 

40 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I have absolutely no idea where you’re getting this patter from.

Lawrence Shankland, Liam Smith and Shaun Rooney (thought you might remember him) off the top of my head are examples just from this season that are all playing regularly and not looking out of place.

About half the Livingston team as well could fall into that bracket - the likes of Alan Lithgow, Keaghan Jacobs and Josh Mullin managed it alright.

I was on about wingers/attacking midfielders. They're generally inconsistent and haven't even nailed a role if they're still in the lower tiers by their mid-20s. Alston and Stewart both examples, one got lucky with a team deciding to give them a free role, the other didn't.

Smith and Shankland were both in double figures for Premiership appearances before they even joined Ayr, so I'm not sure how that's similar to McCowan in terms of stepping up. They both had an idea of how top flight sides operate/top flight players play. McCowan will have to adapt to something new on and off the field quickly.

Mullin didn't step up with Livingston, and is back with them after a few years, after being released by Ross County. If McCowan joins County, is a regular for one season, back up the next, then released for nothing before joining Ayr, would you class him as a success story?

I was on about wingers/attacking midfielders. They're generally inconsistent and haven't even nailed a role if they're still in the lower tiers by their mid-20s. Alston and Stewart both examples, one got lucky with a team deciding to give them a free role, the other didn't.
Smith and Shankland were both in double figures for Premiership appearances before they even joined Ayr, so I'm not sure how that's similar to McCowan in terms of stepping up. They both had an idea of how top flight sides operate/top flight players play. McCowan will have to adapt to something new on and off the field quickly.
Mullin didn't step up with Livingston, and is back with them after a few years, after being released by Ross County. If McCowan joins County, is a regular for one season, back up the next, then released for nothing before joining Ayr, would you class him as a success story?

If you’re saying McCowan would follow the same path as Mullin then by that logic we’d be in the Premiership as well. So yeah it would be a success.

Tbh we’ll be in the Premiership within two seasons with Hoppyball so he’d be as well staying put and just stepping up with us.