The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 hours ago, callum-ayr said:

Listening to the terrace podcast, Scott Robinson fell out with martindale and going to leave at the end of the season and might leave on loan before that, wonder if hopkin had him?

Away to Motherwell is the chat

I was looking at the fixtures in Scotland this weekend and noticed that yet again we’re home when our Ayrshire neighbours are as well. It’s happened a lot the last few seasons. Did I imagine when I was young that we both never played at home on the same day? I wonder what they’d do if we were both in the same division - continue to have us play the same day on occasion or if they’d revert back to us at home one week them away the next🤔

23 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Away to Motherwell is the chat

Aye that seemed to be what they were alluding to, but that came across as a summer move. I know Hopkin is trying to get one attacking player in on loan, thought that Robinson could have been that iron in the fire for the remainder of the season had the top flight clubs not be able to make signings and Livi want rid ASAP.

I was looking at the fixtures in Scotland this weekend and noticed that yet again we’re home when our Ayrshire neighbours are as well. It’s happened a lot the last few seasons. Did I imagine when I was young that we both never played at home on the same day? I wonder what they’d do if we were both in the same division - continue to have us play the same day on occasion or if they’d revert back to us at home one week them away the next[emoji848]

Don’t think we would be on the radar to be honest

Seven points out of twelve in the past four games all away from home seem to suggest that this squad, while perhaps not being as good as we'd hoped at the start of the season, is nowhere near as bad as the run of results was making it look.

You start to wonder if we'd just been overcomplicating things as both White and Hopkin just appear of the face of it to have kept it very simple:

- play players in their best position. Ndaba to centre half and two genuine full backs
- get a bit of dig in midfield through Muirhead
- concentrate on winning your head to head

Getting those things right is going to give you a chance in every game.

6 hours ago, Superhursy7 said:

Just blows my mind that with all the striker issues we have had this season Kerr only thought McKenzie was good enough for a 15 to 20 minutes off the bench and normally that was playing out wide, let's hope we have a diamond here who can go on to great things.

To be fair to Kerr, he had Moffat, Smith, McCowan, Zanatta, Walsh and Wright, meaning he shouldn’t be relying on a 19 year old to score the goals.

I was annoyed that we had taken Cameron on loan, with the intention of bringing him off the bench as something different meaning McKenzie wasn’t likely to feature on the bench never mind the squad. We are never going to develop our own talent if we continue to develop other peoples. 

McKenzie was given chances to perform under Kerr but there were also games under Kerr where we didn’t register a shot on goal so I think it is a combination of things that led to him not scoring until now.

Reading has looked ok in flashes and Baird has looked like a junior defender most of the season but have both been performing well under Whyte and now Hopkin. It will be interesting to see if it continues and if the team will perform the way that many of us thought it would at the start of the season.

1 minute ago, dumpweed said:

Question re: Aaron Drinan.

How good is/ was he?

Good strong presence up the top of the park, looked like he would do the business for us as the missing link in the puzzle before the season was curtailed. Alot of people wanted him back this season, Kerr certainly tried to bring him back up the road. Assuming he's linked with Killie? 

Just now, Hawk89 said:

Good strong presence up the top of the park, looked like he would do the business for us as the missing link in the puzzle before the season was curtailed. Alot of people wanted him back this season, Kerr certainly tried to bring him back up the road. Assuming he's linked with Killie? 

Just interested as I knew he hit the ground running when he first came up here.

Mainly sub at Ipswich this season but out of contract in the summer. 

14 minutes ago, dumpweed said:

Just interested as I knew he hit the ground running when he first came up here.

Mainly sub at Ipswich this season but out of contract in the summer. 

He seemed to get a decent run at the start of the season due to their injury issues, which was seemingly the blocker to him not coming back to us. In theory he would have been an excellent piece of business for us but, this season hasn't really panned out as expected sadly. 

3 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I was looking at the fixtures in Scotland this weekend and noticed that yet again we’re home when our Ayrshire neighbours are as well. It’s happened a lot the last few seasons. Did I imagine when I was young that we both never played at home on the same day? I wonder what they’d do if we were both in the same division - continue to have us play the same day on occasion or if they’d revert back to us at home one week them away the next🤔

No, you didn't imagine it, Ayr and Killie, St Mirren and Morton were treated the same as the other big rivals in Scotland and would rarely if ever be at home on the same day / weekend.

I assume it would have as much to do with Policing resource as anything else, plus of course they didn't want the fans clashing as there was lots of trouble in the 70's, 80's and 90's.

1 hour ago, dumpweed said:

How good is/ was he?

Never likely to score 20+ goals a season, maybe not even half that. Strong and brought others in to the game provided you have guys round about to take advantage. Handy to have against more robust teams. He was a big part of us winning against Inverness for once at the tail end of last season. 

A good signing if you are happy with a lone striker that rarely scores. 

3 hours ago, dumpweed said:

Firstly he ain’t Lawrence Shankland , the yard stick Ayr fans tend to use to appraise any striker .  He’s  a bit more of a Jordon White with extras . Proper English style centre forward , 6ft 3 in , decent pace for a lump , good left peg and will bully centre half .