The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, HMIP said:

Some good players but a horrible lack of balance.  Too many luxury players who don’t do enough off the ball.  No pace up front.  Not enough physicality in the middle of the park.  Lack of experience, particularly in defence,  Lack of leadership generally - Baird as captain speaks volumes.

Kerr never replaced the experienced warhead/battlers such as Bell/Adams/Geggan

47 minutes ago, honestly united said:

Its a good call getting an experienced coach in to help. Even someone that could just motivate the players as they look like they need it.

I've called for Peter Houston for a while, would even take him as manager going forwards if things change

1 minute ago, paulbrucerick said:

A wee change of tack. Found myself 'walking down the Somerset Road' today and was gladdened to see the preparation for the Hub. Over the years we have seen or heard of plans for development which came to nothing, its just nice to see something actually happening. 

20210222_152307.jpg

The is permanent (unlike our form) and represents a huge improvement and a vital new income stream for the club. Such a great venture, I cant wait to get in before a game. I drive so no alcoholic beverages but hopefully they do some good food. Something to really look forward to. 👏

1 hour ago, honestly united said:

As others have said I would go to a basic 4-4-2 as a starting point to try and be a bit more solid. I would also gamble and go with Ndaba and McGavin in the middle as I think they would offer more energy and pace in their and Ndaba would offer more physicallity. I would get Reading back in at left back as I think he has a lot to offer. The first month or so I thought he was one of our better players, but a few mistakes and he has been dropped and not seen again. 

I quite like the sound of the two Ipswich boy in central  midfield , two big units . I’d add to that with only playing with one winger either Walsh or McCowan on one flank and a defensive player on the other , Murdoch or Miller . This is what we used to do with Geggan. Worked quite well back then . Smithy up fron with Wright or McKenzie . Let’s steady the ship .  Five draws and three wins ...

I quite like the sound of the two Ipswich boy in central  midfield , two big units . I’d add to that with only playing with one winger either Walsh or McCowan on one flank and a defensive player on the other , Murdoch or Miller . This is what we used to do with Geggan. Worked quite well back then . Smithy up fron with Wright or McKenzie . Let’s steady the ship .  Five draws and three wins ...

I’m not massively against this tbh.

Sinisalo

Miller
Muirhead
Baird
Reading

Murdoch
McGavin
Ndaba
Walsh

McCowan
Wright

The 4-3-3 served us fairly well last season as well, and actually worked alright the last time we played Dundee. I’d try this with Miller marking Adam again.

Sinisalo

Houston
Muirhead
Baird
Ndaba

McGavin
Miller
Chalmers/Murdoch (I cant decide, both have been equally uninspiring this season)

McCowan
McKenzie
Walsh

You'll be absolutely fine this season, the wildly different games played situation in your division is giving false perspective. 

You've got 2 games in hand over QOS and Arbroath, and could easily be within 4pts of 2nd if you win both.

Test is whether you allow Kerr to make his mistakes and hope he learns for him, or roll the dice and try and start again. Proven short term managers like Hughes and Stubbs are miles away from what you should be looking at, as you're playing the long game.

Think it's the centre mid hurting us the most, always see massive amounts of space for opposition teams to just glide through. Far too easy for them sometimes.
Totally agree. Murdoch is still working his way back from a year out and Chalmers is a bit of a luxury we can't afford at the moment. We need Muirhead or Miller or possibly Ndaba in there to start winning the ball so that all the forward thinking players we have get a chance to play.

49 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Sinisalo

Muirhead Baird Ndaba

Houston                        Reading 

McGavin Chalmers 

McCowan McKenzie Walsh

I’d like to see this being given a try. 

Don’t get the obsession with McKenzie.  Good work ethic but has shown nothing of note - not sure he’s even scored a goal?

4 hours ago, honestly united said:

I've backed Kerr in the past, but like others have said I think he has 2 games to turn things round, or we are in the mire. He's stuck by the 4-2-3-1 all season and it hasn't looked like working for most of it. He probably thought that Wright signing was the final piece of the jigsaw, but the fact he has no other plan or tactics is shocking. On paper I think everyone thought we would have a cracking team, but from the start I was worried we were top heavy in having too many attacking players who are all too similar. If Kerr wants to keep his job he should be going back to the drawing board and looking at something different. 

As others have said I would go to a basic 4-4-2 as a starting point to try and be a bit more solid. I would also gamble and go with Ndaba and McGavin in the middle as I think they would offer more energy and pace in their and Ndaba would offer more physicallity. I would get Reading back in at left back as I think he has a lot to offer. The first month or so I thought he was one of our better players, but a few mistakes and he has been dropped and not seen again. 

4 points out of these 2 games would be huge. Remember we are still sitting 4 points off of 4th and if things suddenly click we are in the promotion play off - however if there isnt an improvement we are staring at relegation.

Its a good call getting an experienced coach in to help. Even someone that could just motivate the players as they look like they need it.

It's funny, but looking back, Cappielow was the watershed moment as up until our capitulation we had been looking pretty decent without setting the heather alight. We arguably played some of our best football in that game and the front players (including Anderson) were all linking up well and Smith was looking unplayable.

I honestly think that the 5 mins of madness destroyed our confidence and also forced a change of thinking in our entire setup and tactics.

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed how the defence and midfield now always hold back and don't get up to support the attack ??

As I say, I think this safety first approach / playing with fear has really screwed us up and I don't know how we shake that off, but then I suppose that's what Kerr and his backroom team are paid for.

6 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

It's funny, but looking back, Cappielow was the watershed moment as up until our capitulation we had been looking pretty decent without setting the heather alight. We arguably played some of our best football in that game and the front players (including Anderson) were all linking up well and Smith was looking unplayable.

I honestly think that the 5 mins of madness destroyed our confidence and also forced a change of thinking in our entire setup and tactics.

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed how the defence and midfield now always hold back and don't get up to support the attack ??

As I say, I think this safety first approach / playing with fear has really screwed us up and I don't know how we shake that off, but then I suppose that's what Kerr and his backroom team are paid for.

I think most people would say it’s the exact opposite of safety first that’s the problem.  We’re top heavy in luxury players and the midfield is wide open and offering no protection to the back 4.

2 minutes ago, HMIP said:

I think most people would say it’s the exact opposite of safety first that’s the problem.  We’re top heavy in luxury players and the midfield is wide open and offering no protection to the back 4.

That's the line up you're talking about but certainly not the playing style.

In recent matches we've hardly been up the park and when we do there's very few options.

4 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

That's the line up you're talking about but certainly not the playing style.

In recent matches we've hardly been up the park and when we do there's very few options.

We can’t get up the park because the midfield is too open and can’t get a foothold in games.  The forward line isn’t holding the ball up either.  Smith, Walsh and McCowan are good with the ball but anonymous without it.  We can’t carry all 3.  I share the doubts about charmers and Murdoch, but we are asking them to do too much.  Kerr seemed to accept that back in November and put an extra msn into midfield.  We looked a better team for it, then reverted back to this 4-2-3-1.  We’re not deliberately sitting back, we’re being pushed back.

1 hour ago, HMIP said:

We can’t get up the park because the midfield is too open and can’t get a foothold in games.  The forward line isn’t holding the ball up either.  Smith, Walsh and McCowan are good with the ball but anonymous without it.  We can’t carry all 3.  I share the doubts about charmers and Murdoch, but we are asking them to do too much.  Kerr seemed to accept that back in November and put an extra msn into midfield.  We looked a better team for it, then reverted back to this 4-2-3-1.  We’re not deliberately sitting back, we’re being pushed back.

I'd agree, however this wasn't happening earlier in the season only recently. That said, I did mention a few days back that we would probably need to sacrifice one of our front players / wingers to get an extra body in the middle of the park (McGavin?).

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, however looking back we should have probably given the job to Sandy Stewart and put Kerr onto the management team as a player/coach, That way we would have still got game time out of Kerr and he'd have been able to learn the ropes of management/coaching without being immediately thrown into the deep end of being manager. If all had gone well after a couple of years and Stewart felt he had enough Kerr could have then got promoted to manager. 

Still not entirely sure how interested in the job Sandy Stewart was to be honest. 

McCall himself even went on the radio and said Stewart should get his job, Alan Forrest too

Edited by rb123!

11 hours ago, HMIP said:

Don’t get the obsession with McKenzie.  Good work ethic but has shown nothing of note - not sure he’s even scored a goal?

He’s got to get given a chance. He’s only started 1 or 2 games on the wing for us. Moffat and Zanatta through the middle on their own just don’t work. When McKenzie came on on Saturday, he at least managed to create a chance for himself, he deserves the opportunity to stake a claim. 

8 hours ago, rb123! said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, however looking back we should have probably given the job to Sandy Stewart and put Kerr onto the management team as a player/coach, That way we would have still got game time out of Kerr and he'd have been able to learn the ropes of management/coaching without being immediately thrown into the deep end of being manager. If all had gone well after a couple of years and Stewart felt he had enough Kerr could have then got promoted to manager. 

Still not entirely sure how interested in the job Sandy Stewart was to be honest. 

McCall himself even went on the radio and said Stewart should get his job, Alan Forrest too

Stewart wanted the job.

Edited by Skyline Drifter