The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, North British said:

It has to be a departure from the hopeless 4-2-3-1 ? He must be looking at simplification for the short term . If there is no loan coming in then let’s give McKenzie his chance leading the line with either Smith or McCowan beside him in a 4-4-2 . 

Based on the zero goals he has scored for us, or? Young players need to earn a run of games when they come on and he hasn’t done that yet. 

6 hours ago, Robbo63 said:

I have no intention of polishing any turds thank you , just happen to be a half full cup sort of guy , in my career I had to deal with lots of underperforming managers and chose a number of times it better to support them and give them time ( worked for the greater majority  )rather than slate them and show them the door too early , does not take away the fact that things are not to standard at moment and possibly the guy needs support from someone else ( ie a mentor or another coach) 

I've mentioned this on here before, but it seems to me that Sandy Stewart was the man who changed our playing style to the one touch, fast pass and move possession based game that most of us enjoyed so much and his appointment seemed to coincide almost exactly with our upturn in fortunes and good football.

I'm not exactly sure what happened when he didn't get the job or even where he is now, but he certainly seemed the guy that got us ticking.

Personally the "McCall" talk is really annoying me as this is a guy who's just taken his big spending side down a league and was hardly excelling in League 1 with a huge budget in relation to his peers, so frankly I'd much rather stick with Kerr as bring back a failure who walked out on us.

I'm not happy at how we're playing either but in Kerr's defence we lost half a team last year including some of our longest serving and key players plus all the leaders in the team, in case it's escaped anyone, we lost Forrest, Docherty, Geggan, Bell, Harvie, Doohan, and Kelly, now that's a hell of a lot of talent and experience at our level !!

I'd also say that most of Kerr's signings have looked very good (on paper) but for whatever reason haven't quite worked out, BUT the whole situation can still be easily turned around and that's the main thing.

Irrespective of current league positions, a couple of back to back wins will see us realistically challenging for the promotion play offs and the doom and gloom merchants will all disappear, let's just hope this starts against Dundee who of course are in a similar situation to ourselves with a Manager under severe pressure, should be good..........

43 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I've mentioned this on here before, but it seems to me that Sandy Stewart was the man who changed our playing style to the one touch, fast pass and move possession based game that most of us enjoyed so much and his appointment seemed to coincide almost exactly with our upturn in fortunes and good football.

I'm not exactly sure what happened when he didn't get the job or even where he is now, but he certainly seemed the guy that got us ticking.

Personally the "McCall" talk is really annoying me as this is a guy who's just taken his big spending side down a league and was hardly excelling in League 1 with a huge budget in relation to his peers, so frankly I'd much rather stick with Kerr as bring back a failure who walked out on us.

I'm not happy at how we're playing either but in Kerr's defence we lost half a team last year including some of our longest serving and key players plus all the leaders in the team, in case it's escaped anyone, we lost Forrest, Docherty, Geggan, Bell, Harvie, Doohan, and Kelly, now that's a hell of a lot of talent and experience at our level !!

I'd also say that most of Kerr's signings have looked very good (on paper) but for whatever reason haven't quite worked out, BUT the whole situation can still be easily turned around and that's the main thing.

Irrespective of current league positions, a couple of back to back wins will see us realistically challenging for the promotion play offs and the doom and gloom merchants will all disappear, let's just hope this starts against Dundee who of course are in a similar situation to ourselves with a Manager under severe pressure, should be good..........

Fucking hell that’s too sensible a post to be from an Ayr fan, you better no go on the SRE Facebook page spouting such a balanced opinion. 

53 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I know they'd gone by then but also losing Michael Rose, Liam Smith and Lawrence Shankland was a big downer and would have been so for any club in Scotland.  

Edited by Jazzar

4 minutes ago, Jazzar said:

I know they'd gone by then but also losing Michael Rose, Liam Smith and Lawrence Shankland was a big downer and would have been so for any club in Scotland.  

Not to mention the much maligned Mr Crawford.

McCall always managed to replace players that left with decent replacements and managed to get a tune out of them though, we were on an upward trajectory almost from the moment he took over. 

Forrest, Harvey and Crawford were always leaving. Harvey was the only one that didn't divide the support over the years.  Kelly and Doohan were two  big players last season and have both failed to make a mark at new clubs. You can develop players or you can get in their heads. McCall preached a loyalty to players that stood us in good stead for a few years. It turns out that loyalty was to McCall's personal progression. Players like Shankland, Rose and Harvey were unlikely to have moved to the clubs they are at if they hadn't played in that team at that time. 

All that momentum has gone, we could have continued on a path of strengthening our position in the league, with teams like Dunfermline, Morton, QOTS stagnating, Inverness struggling to keep players and being more financially prudent, Second and a decent title challenge could have been on the cards. Now we are the same as Morton and Queens, Maybe worse, all in the space of a year. 

We need something to happen this week, a new coach, a new face at the club with a bit of knowledge that can help Kerr, maybe take the pressure off him a bit. If it turns around, maybe we could scrape the play-offs. At the very least steady the ship and look at it at the end of the season. 

On Tuesday, if we lose to Dundee and Allow win away to inverness, we would be two points off bottom, all of a sudden we don't have the cushion of games in hand. We would be in danger of falling out of this league without a fight like Reids last season in charge. A win and we are most likely fifth, cracks papered over until next Saturday. 

Next two games are crucial for me. My patience is expended. 3 points is the minimum requirement. Anything less and Kerr has to be emptied into the sea.

There can be no room for sentiment, he's a nice guy but its not working. We've worked too hard to claw our way up to end up back in the fucking seaside league.

16 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

McCall always managed to replace players that left with decent replacements and managed to get a tune out of them though, we were on an upward trajectory almost from the moment he took over. 

Forrest, Harvey and Crawford were always leaving. Harvey was the only one that didn't divide the support over the years.  Kelly and Doohan were two  big players last season and have both failed to make a mark at new clubs. You can develop players or you can get in their heads. McCall preached a loyalty to players that stood us in good stead for a few years. It turns out that loyalty was to McCall's personal progression. Players like Shankland, Rose and Harvey were unlikely to have moved to the clubs they are at if they hadn't played in that team at that time. 

All that momentum has gone, we could have continued on a path of strengthening our position in the league, with teams like Dunfermline, Morton, QOTS stagnating, Inverness struggling to keep players and being more financially prudent, Second and a decent title challenge could have been on the cards. Now we are the same as Morton and Queens, Maybe worse, all in the space of a year. 

We need something to happen this week, a new coach, a new face at the club with a bit of knowledge that can help Kerr, maybe take the pressure off him a bit. If it turns around, maybe we could scrape the play-offs. At the very least steady the ship and look at it at the end of the season. 

On Tuesday, if we lose to Dundee and Allow win away to inverness, we would be two points off bottom, all of a sudden we don't have the cushion of games in hand. We would be in danger of falling out of this league without a fight like Reids last season in charge. A win and we are most likely fifth, cracks papered over until next Saturday. 

McCall was hard work in his first couple of seasons.  He would have had no complaints if he’d been binned after relegation from the championship.  Reid actually finished 9th in his last season above a full time Queen of the South so don’t think it’s fair to say we went down without a fight.  Longridge getting an early red card in the relegation play off with Airdrie done us in.

2 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Solid post. 

McCall was hard work in his first couple of seasons.  He would have had no complaints if he’d been binned after relegation from the championship.  Reid actually finished 9th in his last season above a full time Queen of the South so don’t think it’s fair to say we went down without a fight.  Longridge getting an early red card in the relegation play off with Airdrie done us in.
That season under McCall in the Championship was brutal to watch and incredibly boring, pinning all our hopes on Moore coming back and firing us to safety while plugging that hole with deadbeat and crocks. Never stood a chance of staying up.

See the highlights (sorry direlights) are back on YouTube, don't think it'll be breaking any viewing figures though.

Stuart McCall was apparently on the radio today saying he's speaking to a championship club about possibly becoming manager, wouldn't get hopes up though i'd expect it to be Dundee. Just in time for #newmanagerbounce for playing them on Tuesday night

19 minutes ago, rb123! said:

See the highlights (sorry direlights) are back on YouTube, don't think it'll be breaking any viewing figures though.

Stuart McCall was apparently on the radio today saying he's speaking to a championship club about possibly becoming manager, wouldn't get hopes up though i'd expect it to be Dundee. Just in time for #newmanagerbounce for playing them on Tuesday night

Must be Morton.  Can’t believe McCall would be so unprofessional as to talk about a job on the radio when the present manager hasn’t been sacked.  But then maybe he could be.  Always seemed like a bit of a knob.

12 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

In India with Owen Coyle last I heard.

Yep Coyle phoned him about a month after Kerr got job and he went over and loved it. 

Came back to Scotland when Covid kicked off and unsure if he has ever gone back out but presume he has.

Thought after McCall left we should have gone for Owen Coyle, him and Stewart could work in the future with McCardle kept as a kind of data analysis/academy integration to first team guy. McCardle talks a good game and sounds like he knows what he's doing, have to say he sounds better than Kerr usually....

6 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Must be Morton.  Can’t believe McCall would be so unprofessional as to talk about a job on the radio when the present manager hasn’t been sacked.  But then maybe he could be.  Always seemed like a bit of a knob.

It was someone on the SRE who said about it so could be shite but he definitely was on the radio today.

2 hours ago, WATTOO said:

You make some good points, but the bit in bold is the problem. It’s up to Kerr to get the signings to work. When it’s one or two not working out you can forgive it, but when it’s several of them there’s only one common denominator there.

3 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Yep Coyle phoned him about a month after Kerr got job and he went over and loved it. 

Came back to Scotland when Covid kicked off and unsure if he has ever gone back out but presume he has.

Thought after McCall left we should have gone for Owen Coyle, him and Stewart could work in the future with McCardle kept as a kind of data analysis/academy integration to first team guy. McCardle talks a good game and sounds like he knows what he's doing, have to say he sounds better than Kerr usually....

Coyle is a strange one.  Ten years ago he was one of the hottest properties around then snaked Burnley due to some romantic attachment to an imploding Bolton.  Think he was once linked with the Celtic job.  Basically just collecting his pension now.

Sorry lads but a hard hitting fact is about to be produced here
Mark Kerr: GP - 41 W -13 D - 11 L - 17 W%- 31.71%
Mark Roberts: GP - 102 W - 35 D - 14 L - 53 W% - 34.31%
We should maybe stay clear of managers called Mark...

That’s all well and good but let’s remember that Mark Roberts 34% win ratio came against League 1 teams. Not saying this league is full of world beaters but it’s a bit better than shite Stenhousemuir or East Fife outfits.