The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

You would assume Smith has a five year plan for the club , nowhere in there is there a spell in L1 . His tenure really starts now . Phase one stay in the Championship. Phase two build up or player base ( permanent signings) , this should get us closer to the play offs and the decent prize money , phase three title contenders . So what kind of guy would want to come on board and run the project through to completion , without jumping ship mid project ? Also what kind of guy would have the ability to complete the task ? Of all the names given and despite the stupid beard and hair style (both would have to go) , it does seem to point at Kettlewell ....Similar sized club to county , he’s won the championship before , the length of the project could lure him this far south . Time will tell .

11 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

:lol: You been at an illegal house party with Mod1967 all night? 

You’d have to pay all your players about £200 a week to secure some of the managers getting bandied about on here. 

17 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Guys like Stubbs and Billy Davies would want about 10 grand a week. 

Fans of Championship clubs suggesting people who have managed exclusively in England or the Scottish Premiership as someone they should go for is always good for a chuckle.

Perhaps not the best example, but Davies is Scottish at least. Point still stands, there have to be plenty out there. I don’t buy that they need to be on the bleeding edge of football methods to compete in the Championship.

35 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Guys like Stubbs and Billy Davies would want about 10 grand a week. 

Fans of Championship clubs suggesting people who have managed exclusively in England or the Scottish Premiership as someone they should go for is always good for a chuckle.

The same happens with transfer targets too. Makes sense the leagues getting more media coverage then fans learn more about the people involved 

Nice to see a few old names joining the discussion. Do some people have an alert for Ayr being in or around League 1? It would absolutely have gone off yesterday. Call me a cockeyed optimist (or happy clapper or lickspittle) but I think we will stay up. Please bookmark.

7 minutes ago, wuffster said:

Nice to see a few old names joining the discussion. Do some people have an alert for Ayr being in or around League 1? It would absolutely have gone off yesterday. Call me a cockeyed optimist (or happy clapper or lickspittle) but I think we will stay up. Please bookmark.

So looking for 13/14 points minimum from our remaking games  to get 8th place .  Not impossible , but very risky to say it’s a gimme .

3 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

McIntyre and McCall are the only two there I’d be happy with tbh.

There’s a lot that would need to happen for the latter to return to Ayr though and I seriously doubt it would happen.

Not sure about McCall, I kinda had the feeling that he had taken us as far as he could. I just don’t know who is out there that can take us forward. 

Alan Stubbs? 

Eta- I hadn’t read the rest of the comments prior to replying suggesting Stubbs

Edited by ryanayr1987

34 minutes ago, wuffster said:

Hardly call this happy clapping. Is a bit depressing though that we're at the stage where this type of thing is said, thought we had moved past that.

49 minutes ago, wuffster said:

We may well stay up but the fact is we are currently embroiled in a relegation battle on a record of 1 win in 9 so the signs don’t look promising and I don’t trust MK to turn it around. 

The Club need to accept that it was the cheap, easy appointment (like most people said at the time ) and bite the bullet and get rid. 

1 hour ago, Ayr23 said:

Robbo's silence is deafening. Almost Skyline Drifter esque after Galloway. Makes me think something's going on behind the scenes.

I say what I think when emotions run down , not like a number of the panic merchants on here , thanks for thinking of me , here is my opinion , I think Kerr will be Ayr manager next season , 

1 hour ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Nah, just that even he knows he can't polish that particular turd yesterday.

I have no intention of polishing any turds thank you , just happen to be a half full cup sort of guy , in my career I had to deal with lots of underperforming managers and chose a number of times it better to support them and give them time ( worked for the greater majority  )rather than slate them and show them the door too early , does not take away the fact that things are not to standard at moment and possibly the guy needs support from someone else ( ie a mentor or another coach) 

Edited by Robbo63

4 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

We may well stay up but the fact is we are currently embroiled in a relegation battle on a record of 1 win in 9 so the signs don’t look promising and I don’t trust MK to turn it around. 

The Club need to accept that it was the cheap, easy appointment (like most people said at the time ) and bite the bullet and get rid. 

Not so sure it was the easy and cheap option. I think Lachlan was swayed by the fact he already knew the club, had good feedback from the players about him, and maybe a little bit of hubris within him at potentially unearthing a new managerial talent. Continuity would also have played a part too I think.

5 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

I have no intention of polishing any turds thank you , just happen to be a half full cup sort of guy , in my career I had to deal with lots of underperforming managers and chose a number of times it better to support them and give them time rather than slate them and show them the door too early 

I've actually been quite supportive of Kerr despite what you may think. Not even advocating for him to get punted the now. Something felt different about yesterday though which has left me, and many others, extremely worried.

4 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

I've actually been quite supportive of Kerr despite what you may think. Not even advocating for him to get punted the now. Something felt different about yesterday though which has left me, and many others, extremely worried.

I am in same boat as you , we are not performing to our capabilities in too many games , there must be some underlying issues that are not getting dealt with , something needs to change 

Edited by Robbo63

Not sure about McCall, I kinda had the feeling that he had taken us as far as he could. I just don’t know who is out there that can take us forward. 

Alan Stubbs? 

Eta- I hadn’t read the rest of the comments prior to replying suggesting Stubbs

I think McCall had definitely taken us as far as he could whilst working under Cameron. With Smith in charge though and a clear idea of where he wants to take the club and with the resources to help make it happen then I think he’d be interested.

However for him to come back he’d almost be admitting that he was wrong to leave in the first place and I doubt he’d ever admit to that.

1 minute ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Not so sure it was the easy and cheap option. I think Lachlan was swayed by the fact he already knew the club, had good feedback from the players about him, and maybe a little bit of hubris within him at potentially unearthing a new managerial talent. Continuity would also have played a part too I think.

Cameron was a superb chairman in many respects, but his Achilles heel quite consistently was managerial appointments.  Neil Watt, Mark Shanks, Mark Roberts, now Kerr.  I don’t think he was really steeped in the Scottish football community which was probably a good thing in certain respects, but I think it also meant he didn’t have many connections who could help with possible candidates.  People have their views on John Hughes, but given his record and his apparent interest in the job, it is bizarre that we didn’t even speak to him.

All this panic merchant chat can jump in the sea as far as I’m concerned.  Kerr seems like a decent guy, but in 18 months we’ve gone from a solid top 4 side to a club tail spinning into League 1.  Sensible folk have been saying for months that a solid experienced first team coach is needed.  Either that or Kerr needs to be binned.  But then, struggling managers don’t like to have a solid experienced first team coach as they see it as a threat to their own position - call it the Dalziel syndrome.

I say what I think when emotions run down , not like a number of the panic merchants on here , thanks for thinking of me , here is my opinion , I think Kerr will be Ayr manager next season , 

Think you’re correct about waiting for emotions to calm down and if what you think about Kerr being manager next season is correct then that surely must mean we’ll be in the championship which would be great. Saying all that it’s pretty alarming how quickly we’ve tumbled down the league and how bad our form is. Hard to see where or when the turnaround is going to come but hopefully starting at Dens midweek.