The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, rb123! said:

This part has potential to age well lol

Yes it has , but I am sure that the team will be looking at it more in the positive way that I am than all the negative attitudes being fired around , I would say we have strengthened more in January than most other clubs with the new players and the changing of a couple of players positions ( mainly Muirhead ) surely we will have a better second half of season , 

Edited by Robbo63

I’m not going to come out with bold statements like we definitely won’t go down but at this moment I’m confident we’ll stay up.

However I’m absolutely sure we’re not good enough to go and finish 3rd. If we’re in a position in the last game of the season where we can still finish 4th I’ll be surprised.

I’d say we are unlikely to go down, it’s not impossible though. I really feel that the team is in a good place, the only thing that worries me is continuity.  I feel that we go through weeks of playing loads of games and then go through a barren spell where we hardly get a game on. That seems to affect the team and how we play. 

I know we are only down 2 league games and 1 cup game but we seem to have a long time between fixtures which makes it harder to string a few results together 

1 hour ago, Robbo63 said:

Yes it has , but I am sure that the team will be looking at it more in the positive way that I am than all the negative attitudes being fired around , I would say we have strengthened more in January than most other clubs with the new players and the changing of a couple of players positions ( mainly Muirhead ) surely we will have a better second half of season , 

It's hardly negativity, it's more the facts that are laid in front of us, we've played exactly half our games this season and we're 5th which is OK but only 3 points off 9th. With a possible 17 points from 42 points which is hardly brilliant.

On paper i'd say we have the 2nd/3rd joint best squad in the division IMO. certainly pretty equal with Dunferlmine/Dundee/Raith, if not having the edge on them in certain aspects of the pitch. As you say if the January additions improve us in the second half of the season then all fine and well, however that's not a guarentee. Anderson and Cameron have all of a sudden started scoring goals at their new loanee clubs which just proves not every signing is going to be a success. 

If we were to get play offs this season i'd say "great season".

If we were to get 5th/6th i'd say "meh, could have been better but not the end of the world"

If we get 7th/8th i'll say "very dissapointing with squad we had for the season and the blame lays with Kerr for that"

Hope we get play offs but think 5th will be best, too inconsistent IMO and part of me will be disappointed with 5th however would look at the bigger picture of knowing we want to establish ourselves in the Championship and 5th isn't the worst place to finish to go about doing that. 

12 hours ago, rb123! said:

It's hardly negativity, it's more the facts that are laid in front of us, we've played exactly half our games this season and we're 5th which is OK but only 3 points off 9th. With a possible 17 points from 42 points which is hardly brilliant.

On paper i'd say we have the 2nd/3rd joint best squad in the division IMO. certainly pretty equal with Dunferlmine/Dundee/Raith, if not having the edge on them in certain aspects of the pitch. As you say if the January additions improve us in the second half of the season then all fine and well, however that's not a guarentee. Anderson and Cameron have all of a sudden started scoring goals at their new loanee clubs which just proves not every signing is going to be a success. 

If we were to get play offs this season i'd say "great season".

If we were to get 5th/6th i'd say "meh, could have been better but not the end of the world"

If we get 7th/8th i'll say "very dissapointing with squad we had for the season and the blame lays with Kerr for that"

Hope we get play offs but think 5th will be best, too inconsistent IMO and part of me will be disappointed with 5th however would look at the bigger picture of knowing we want to establish ourselves in the Championship and 5th isn't the worst place to finish to go about doing that. 

I can't argue with much of your assessment as it's pretty much bang on in terms of where we are and what we could achieve.

In defence of Anderson, we probably didn't get the ball forward either quickly enough or often enough to play to his strengths, however on the flip side of that he seemed to very quickly lose interest and offered very little in terms of work rate and when he DID get a chance he failed to take it and his basic ball control also looked suspect at times, so while he came to us with a big reputation, he certainly didn't live up to it and is no loss whatsoever in my book.

As for Cameron, it's probably unfair to make any sort of judgement on him due to his lack of playing time and I'd imagine his goals per playing time ratio was actually one of the best in our history (apart from Tommi Paavola of course).

The bottom line is that we've got an abundance of attacking talent on our books and we really just need to bring them into play more. I also believe that the signings of Ndaba and Wright will prove pivotal in our season. Wright allows us to get the ball forward quickly where he can hold it up and bring other into the game and the pace of Ndaba at the back should also allow us to push up the park more and not worry so much about the space in behind. We don't know what McGavin can offer but he's been in and around the Ipswich first team this season which is a far higher level than the one we're at, so can only be good for us.

I think we also need to remember that Wright isn't yet match fit and has also just joined a whole new team, so given what I've seen of him so far, he's looked very promising indeed. Over and above this Walsh has just returned to fitness and is already looking like a real quality acquisition.

Finally we've got some real strength in depth now and there's not many of our opponents have guys like Moffat, Zanatta, Reading, Houston, McGavin, Roscoe etc sitting on the bench, so all in all I'm feeling pretty upbeat about the remainder of the season and I'm sure our players are also more upbeat than some of our fans !!

A good few points made there, and I think it’s way too early for the doom and gloom posts, there’s only one area I would have went with and that’s the striker role, don’t know if was down to money but  surely we could have out bid Arbroath and Hamilton for me was a far better risk than Wright he was proven in the championship and looked decent in the premiership. I think we look more like a  decent defence now and hope the goals will come.

Staying up is pretty much a given as far as I am concerned , winning a few six pointers would just about achieve that . However the playoffs look a bit of an ask for us . The prize money of top four would have helped enormously for the summer preparations for next season ., but I reckon  we’ve given the Fife teams and Dundee too much of a start . Fifth isn’t the end of the world ,if we can beat most of the teams below us in the run in that should be achievable. It really is about next season now , with no Hearts it should be a more level playing field . We must not repeat this season’s calamitous striker hunt . Hopefully Mark Kerr has his homework done and we can attract the right type of players as well as extending McCowan , Smith and Walsh ... Next season will be when we can judge the Kerr appointment....

Hi all, an Airdrie fan looking for a favour - I know, I know, there’s unlikely to be a mad rush!

I’ve got Paul Lovering lined up for an interview about his career and just looking for any key memories you guys have of him as a player/opponent.

Thanks in advance

Dean Keenan flattening him right in front of us up there in the play-off final 2nd leg.

22 hours ago, Robbo63 said:

Good to see some pre work starting today at site of new social club, shop and offices  , getting ready for the demolition of the house and garage to allow building to start 

This is great news. I'm actually more hyped by this than anything else at present tbf. 👏

Memories of meeting the Ayr players after that game back in Ayr and asking Dean Keenan about that incident with Paul Lovering and if he'd been "looking for him'" Keanan's reply was funny - "No at all - he's a mate fae ma bit".

"Christ," I thought. "Wouldnae like to see what Keanan would do tae an enemy or somedae no fae his bit" 😜    

1 minute ago, Jazzar said:

Memories of meeting the Ayr players after that game back in Ayr and asking Dean Keenan about that incident with Paul Lovering and if he'd been "looking for him'" Keanan's reply was funny - "No at all - he's a mate fae ma bit".

"Christ," I thought. "Wouldnae like to see what Keanan would do tae an enemy or somedae no fae his bit" 😜    

Or someone staunch and called William. 

We are doing ok this season. I think there is more to come from this team and with decent core of 2 year contracts. Last 2 years of being in top 4 has been great progression but always difficult especially with major rebuild this season. The improvements around the ground and the social hub I think will really help encourage the team to spend more time in and around the ground. The covid situation is tough especially where we have 3 players up from down south not being able to go out, lot of change in the team and the night outs going for meals etc makes it that bit harder to click. 

Last season was first time in 16 years we had spent more than a single season in the 2nd tier. It is great the ambition in increasing but a boring midtable finish this season is not a disaster if we making the right calls about the wider infrastructure of the club. The new owner also has this time to bed in