The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I can’t see Moore being back this season and I also don’t think he’ll be offered a new contract for next season either. Fully expecting him to go part time which maybe isn’t the worst thing in the world for him.

We’re still lacking pace in the attack so if Kerr is planning on signing anyone a quick striker who can play on the shoulder and maybe in a 4-4-2 with Wright would be welcome.

As for the left back spot I think Corrie has pretty much made it his own for the rest of the season although I would like to see him both at centre back and even in midfield just to see how he fairs. He’s absolutely got the ability, strength and pace to play alongside Murdoch or Chalmers. Reading maybe just needs another season before he properly comes good. It was the case with Harvie although he was already a proven player in the Championship.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

I can’t see Moore being back this season and I also don’t think he’ll be offered a new contract for next season either. Fully expecting him to go part time which maybe isn’t the worst thing in the world for him.

We’re still lacking pace in the attack so if Kerr is planning on signing anyone a quick striker who can play on the shoulder and maybe in a 4-4-2 with Wright would be welcome.

As for the left back spot I think Corrie has pretty much made it his own for the rest of the season although I would like to see him both at centre back and even in midfield just to see how he fairs. He’s absolutely got the ability, strength and pace to play alongside Murdoch or Chalmers. Reading maybe just needs another season before he properly comes good. It was the case with Harvie although he was already a proven player in the Championship.

It really depends, if Moore was willing to take a deal that reflects how little minutes he has played at times he can be a very good back up option. Possibly better for him to go PT, but really dependent on type of injury etc.

My initial impression of Wright from his YouTube clips was that he could offer pace in behind too. Might be a bit early to judge that one but that doesn’t look likely.

Edited by No_Problemo

Agree re Ndaba looking great- no coincidence that since he came in / Muirhead went to centre back we have had 3 games in a row without conceding from open play - just a penalty and a direct free kick.  In fact Sinisalo hasnt had a huge amount to do in those games.  Night and day to a couple of months ago when every time a team attacked us they seemed to either score or force a save it seemed!

Unless a striker is brought in before the end of the month I expect Kerr to soldier on with the 4-2-3-1 system  . This will mean that our goals will be coming mainly from Smith and McCowan . Im wondering if that can happen often enough to engineer 8/9 wins which should secure  a play off place  .? 

No is the answer

2 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Pay as you play worked with part time players. Now we are full time, a player wont take a deal that only pays him when he plays. He'd either go part time or get a regular deal.

Aye you have to agree a wage if they are full time, however that can be minimum wage and topped up with performance related bonuses. 

Today has just summed up that it's a ridiculously tight league - can't get all carried away excited with a win and good performance but also no need to get worked up and panicky if we lose.   I fancy us to be somewhere in 4th to 6th.  

Edited by Hursty

4 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Pay as you play worked with part time players. Now we are full time, a player wont take a deal that only pays him when he plays. He'd either go part time or get a regular deal.

I don’t think you can actually offer people pay as you play deals. I wasn’t meaning that, a contract that reflects being a back up player is all.

The quality in this league is absolutely rank rotten when you consider we're 3 points off 4th and also 3 points off 9th. 

The two teams in the league who deserve the most recognition are the two part timers Arbroath and Alloa for the fact they're keeping up with and matching the supposed "superior" full time teams

The quality in this league is absolutely rank rotten when you consider we're 3 points off 4th and also 3 points off 9th. 
The two teams in the league who deserve the most recognition are the two part timers Arbroath and Alloa for the fact they're keeping up with and matching the supposed "superior" full time teams
And Raith who are more than holding their own in their first season back. They remind me of us when we got back. Wouldn't surprise me if they run Dundee close for second tbh

49 minutes ago, rb123! said:

The quality in this league is absolutely rank rotten

That statement (or similar) has been parroted by fans of most Championship clubs for the last few seasons. I don't agree. If the "quality" (definition please) is so bad it should be easy to win the league/make playoffs. Also quality <> enjoyment. My enjoyment of Scottish football has stayed about the same (moderate to moderately-high) for years.

Unless a striker is brought in before the end of the month I expect Kerr to soldier on with the 4-2-3-1 system  . This will mean that our goals will be coming mainly from Smith and McCowan . Im wondering if that can happen often enough to engineer 8/9 wins which should secure  a play off place  .? 

4-4-2 with McCowan and Walsh wide, pushing Smith up closer to Wright.
4-3-3 with McGavin, Chalmers and Murdoch in middle and any 3 from Wright, Smith, McCowan, Moff, Walsh or McKenzie. I can understand Kerr's reluctance when defence was leaking goals and needed more protection but back 4 looks far more assured now so maybe we could be a bit more adventurous. We have options to change it but stick to 4-2-3-1 even when it's clear, like 2nd half last night, it isn't working. Just think Kerr needs to be braver and more willing to change things when it's clear the opposition have sussed us out.

2 hours ago, yorkshirepud said:

4-4-2 with McCowan and Walsh wide, pushing Smith up closer to Wright.
4-3-3 with McGavin, Chalmers and Murdoch in middle and any 3 from Wright, Smith, McCowan, Moff, Walsh or McKenzie. I can understand Kerr's reluctance when defence was leaking goals and needed more protection but back 4 looks far more assured now so maybe we could be a bit more adventurous. We have options to change it but stick to 4-2-3-1 even when it's clear, like 2nd half last night, it isn't working. Just think Kerr needs to be braver and more willing to change things when it's clear the opposition have sussed us out.

4-2-3-1 is a pretty attacking formation tbh. 

The 4-3-3 you suggested is more defensive and the 4-4-2 option is basically the exact same as Smith would drop deep as he currently does anyway. 

10 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

The 4-3-3 you suggested is more defensive and the 4-4-2 option is basically the exact same as Smith would drop deep as he currently does anyway. 

I’m wondering if 3-5-2 is a possibility . Playing Aero ,Baird and Corrie at the back , this allows McGavin to start with Murdy and Chalmers flanked by Smith and Walsh . Allows McCowan the ten shirt beside Wright . Maybe too risky atm . But food for thought .

10 minutes ago, North British said:

I’m wondering if 3-5-2 is a possibility . Playing Aero ,Baird and Corrie at the back , this allows McGavin to start with Murdy and Chalmers flanked by Smith and Walsh . Allows McCowan the ten shirt beside Wright . Maybe too risky atm . But food for thought .

Personally not a fan, just because it limits our best attacking players in Smith, McCowan and Walsh. Gives them too much defensive work.

4-2-3-1 is only more attacking if the 3 can get up to support the 1. Too often this season the 1 has been left isolated with the ball being shelled at him from our own penalty area and it was the same toward the end of last season. Agree it worked not too badly in first half on Friday but not at all in 2nd and it took far too long to think about changing it. Smith up beside Wright would give more chance of holding up the ball and time for the cavalry to arrive, unlike Friday when Wright was hopelessly outnumbered for the vast majority of the 2nd half. Alternative formations also let you defend from the front with 2 or 3 pressing high rather than just 1. Guess the point I am trying to make is that we have the players to be flexible but have been reluctant to change it when we are struggling.

Anyone notice on the half time interview with Cammy Smith the other night  sure he mentioned something about keeping the group of players together for a few years or words to that affect. Wonder if he will stick around for a few years then?