The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

[mention=61949]rb123![/mention] taking my panic merchant crown and running to the hills with it. You love to see it [emoji4] 

I’ve not listened to the podcast yet. There may still be time to reclaim it.

19 hours ago, Trogdor said:

I used to love when folk were complaining at Aitken and he wasn't even playing. 

Can remember this happening on quite a few occasions from different people in the SRE, before I started standing on the North Terrace when shooting at the railway end. Best one for me was Stevo making a total mess of long pass and someone having a go at Aitken for it. Agree he was the wrong player at the wrong time, would have flourished if we had played a style of football similar to what McCall brought in. 

Wee bit in the Ayr Advertiser that Kerr may still look to bring another player in should the right person become available. He may have been talking about McGavin but he does make mention that free agents and loans can be completed until the end of February so something may still happen.

From today's interview in the Times with new Ayr United Chairman David Smith:-

It is a labour of love for Smith, but it is also a business project. Ask him what he expects Ayr United to look like in a decade, and he replies: “Please don’t underestimate my ambition. I didn’t take this role just to sit in the directors’ box and have a beer. That’s not my style. I like to build things. I want Ayr United to be in the Premiership. And I’d be disappointed if it took ten years to get there.”

People might think I’m mad, says new Ayr owner David Smith | Scotland | The Times

5 hours ago, Toepoker said:

It is a labour of love for Smith, but it is also a business project. Ask him what he expects Ayr United to look like in a decade, and he replies: “Please don’t underestimate my ambition. I didn’t take this role just to sit in the directors’ box and have a beer. That’s not my style. I like to build things. I want Ayr United to be in the Premiership. And I’d be disappointed if it took ten years to get there.”

Wow this guy means business . Looks like we might have some crazy times ahead . 

1 hour ago, North British said:

Wow this guy means business . Looks like we might have some crazy times ahead . 

I've never met the guy but you always get the impression that there's a long term plan and rational thinking behind everything that's been done so far and going forward. No throwing silly money, good after bad, with no long term vision, like what we had in the Barr era under Dalziel. Yes we had great times but with nothing tangible to ultimately show for it 20 years later.

Show me fans of a club in our position who wouldn't be excited at the newspaper quotes, if true. What that means though, and I again stress if true, is that our intentions from within the boardroom are now public. That brings a whole lot of pressure both internally and externally, bring it on though. Let's see where it takes us.

3 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

I've never met the guy but you always get the impression that there's a long term plan and rational thinking behind everything that's been done so far and going forward. No throwing silly money, good after bad, with no long term vision, like what we had in the Barr era under Dalziel. Yes we had great times but with nothing tangible to ultimately show for it 20 years later.

Show me fans of a club in our position who wouldn't be excited at the newspaper quotes, if true. What that means though, and I again stress if true, is that our intentions from within the boardroom are now public. That brings a whole lot of pressure both internally and externally, bring it on though. Let's see where it takes us.

The great thing is that it gives us all that bit of "hope" that since the Barr era has been non existent, and being ruthlessly honest, it was a game of survival and nothing more. 

I don't know about the rest of you, but I had become resigned and pretty scunnered with the policy of "promising player moves on for free", it was almost a given that if a player showed any sort of form he'd be taken away for free by a Morton or a Partick or a Dunfermline or a Raith etc. The bottom line was we just couldn't compete and while we were being kept afloat, that's about all it was as there was very little light at the end of the tunnel.

It does have to be said that Lachlan ultimately did a great job and has been quietly building the club back up to a good level over the past 2 or 3 seasons and bringing in McCall and his positivity also made a huge difference and was a big step forward for us, however Smith does come across as the guy who COULD take us to that next level and if nothing else it should give us all a wee bit of excitement about where our football club could go in the next few years and that hope in itself is worth a great deal in my book.

Exciting times folks.

Edited by WATTOO

7 hours ago, Toepoker said:

People might think I’m mad, says new Ayr owner David Smith | Scotland | The Times

We've heard it all before. Don't get too carried away.

7 hours ago, Toepoker said:

I'll get the passport looked out..... European football here we come!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

We've heard it all before. Don't get too carried away.

Big difference this time is we have an established business at the helm who is only 10 mins away from club , and where he has quoted we are a business so obviously he wants return for his investment, everything he has said so far that he will deliver he has , no pie in the sky , new toilet facilities , new boardroom , new kitchen , new players , new players facilities within stadium , new hub starting this month 

7 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Big difference this time is we have an established business at the helm who is only 10 mins away from club , and where he has quoted we are a business so obviously he wants return for his investment, everything he has said so far that he will deliver he has , no pie in the sky , new toilet facilities , new boardroom , new kitchen , new players , new players facilities within stadium , new hub starting this month 

Wasn't some of that paid for from the donation from that billionaire?

11 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Wasn't some of that paid for from the donation from that billionaire?

Yes some of it was , but  the point I made was that everything he says would be delivered has been , showing he used some money to improve  some of the facilities, not just squandering it away , money received could not be used towards playing staff signing fees or salaries , he personally has paid for boardroom and hub along with contributing a good amount to playing fund , 

Edited by Robbo63

16 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Smith has said all the right things so far and done a lot within the ground itself. But translating success onto the pitch is a very different thing. I just hope he can back his talk and within 5-10 years, we can be a stable Premiership team.