The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

17 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Aye, in terms of ability, but in terms of being hated by a section of the support for being lazy or a coward, they were the same

You don't play around 600 games for   professional clubs if you are lazy and a coward .  never saw him as that when he played for Ayr.  His real problem was he lacked pace...he was an excellent footballer...if he had half decent pace he would have played all his football in the Premier League..to compare him to Chris Aitken is ludicrous..as someone mentioned earlier Sherrin was on a different planet from Aitken.

17 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

Was there ever a reason why he we didn't sign him last time round? The 3 Ipswich players came up and he left quite soon after.  

The story I heard was that Andy Geggan hid behind the changing room door and jumped out to scare them and he ran away.

1 hour ago, conley said:

You don't play around 600 games for   professional clubs if you are lazy and a coward .  never saw him as that when he played for Ayr.  His real problem was he lacked pace...he was an excellent footballer...if he had half decent pace he would have played all his football in the Premier League..to compare him to Chris Aitken is ludicrous..as someone mentioned earlier Sherrin was on a different planet from Aitken.

I was going to take issue with that last night myself, but forgot !!

I think the biggest problem with Sheerin was that with Inverness he was absolutely outstanding and was basically their Captain fantastic, unfortunately when he came to Ayr for whatever reason he never really recaptured that sort of form and turned into a pretty average if still reliable player. At no time though do I ever recall him looking lazy, disinterested or a coward, quite the opposite in fact.

As for Chris Aitken, I was always in the camp of really liking him as a footballer, however he probably played for us at the wrong time when a classy Centre mid was not what we needed, we needed a blood and guts hard man type and of course Aitken just wasn't that type and he'd avoid a tackle if he could. That said, I still thought he was the one class act in the side at that time but ended up hounded out by the boo boys who would even blame him for stuff when he wasn't even in the team !! 

Let's just say Robbie had it pretty easy in comparison........

52 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I was going to take issue with that last night myself, but forgot !!

I think the biggest problem with Sheerin was that with Inverness he was absolutely outstanding and was basically their Captain fantastic, unfortunately when he came to Ayr for whatever reason he never really recaptured that sort of form and turned into a pretty average if still reliable player. At no time though do I ever recall him looking lazy, disinterested or a coward, quite the opposite in fact.

As for Chris Aitken, I was always in the camp of really liking him as a footballer, however he probably played for us at the wrong time when a classy Centre mid was not what we needed, we needed a blood and guts hard man type and of course Aitken just wasn't that type and he'd avoid a tackle if he could. That said, I still thought he was the one class act in the side at that time but ended up hounded out by the boo boys who would even blame him for stuff when he wasn't even in the team !! 

Let's just say Robbie had it pretty easy in comparison........

I remember the play-off games for which Stevo was suspended and Aitken started instead and was outstanding. IIRC he was involved in all of the goals over the two legs.

It was a shame that we couldn't seem to accommodate both Stevo and Aitken in the same team.

One of Aitken's better moments for us. First goal in the 2009 playoff semi-final 1st leg at Brechin. We won this 2-0 and won the 2nd leg 3-2, where Aitken scored the winner with a similar goal. We then went on to beat Airdrie in the final.

Move for goal starts at 0.48. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhI0hx1vBd4

6 hours ago, conley said:

I thought Paul Sheerin was a great player but he s detested by a section of the support for not being a ball winner or covering every blade of grass

Likes of Aitken literally the exact opposite of a coward in footballing terms. 

Anyone can go charging into tackles. Constantly looking and asking for the ball when your getting abused by your own fans most definitely isn’t cowardice. Being a coward in football is hiding from the ball. 

I never realised there was a section of our support who despised Sheerin. I thought he was an absolute baller.
I thought Aitken was a good footballer too but the expectations placed upon him were possibly a bit much.

What an absolute riddy though thinking a player is a "coward" because he doesn't smash c***s. Deary me.

2 hours ago, Jeff Venom said:

I thought Aitken was a good footballer too but the expectations placed upon him were possibly a bit much.

Yeah, the thing with Aitken is you build your team round him. I think that's what Stirling did and he was very good for them. Even in the league above us at the time. 

Its sort of similar to Trouten to a degree, a great player if you build your team round him at Ayr he was never the main man.