The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

20 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

According to AP were expected to tie up Cammy Smith till the end of the season this week. Strangely though it says loan extension. I was under the impression he was out of contract at Dundee United and surplus to requirements. 

They must be giving him a new contract to the end of the season and keeping his loan to us going.  

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/interview-brian-grant-dundee-united-loans-manager/

Screenshot_20210120-135945.png

That’s very good news and a big relief as well given there would’ve been other offers on the table for him.

Sounds like the search for a new striker could go right to the end of the month which is often the case in January. If I had to put money on it right now I’d say we’ll end up with someone like Jack Hamilton from Livi.

57 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Is McCardle actually a sports scientist?  I thought he was more of a data analyst/head of youth previously.  He certainly doesn't mention sports science on his LinkedIn in previous jobs? 

People have just decided he is as he's got a laptop and a degree I guess. Can't ever remember him being called one from a club source. 

3 hours ago, Hawk89 said:

People have just decided he is as he's got a laptop and a degree I guess. Can't ever remember him being called one from a club source. 

A well placed SFA source told me that he's a very well regarded coach and is "great with all the data and stats stuff" but I'd put the sports science / data analysis stuff down as an "addition" to the coaching prowess as opposed to in place of it.

Excellent news on Cammy Smith incidentally.

Edited by WATTOO

2 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Is McCardle actually a sports scientist?  I thought he was more of a data analyst/head of youth previously.  He certainly doesn't mention sports science on his LinkedIn in previous jobs? 

Correct , he is not a sports scientist, he is exactly as you described, he is only doing players data which every player at club says is what they have been looking for for a long time and it’s certainly driven their fitness levels , 

I actually think McArdle comes accross really well in his interviews - seems to know his stuff and it's hardly as if it's full of cliche's and jargon.   Never seen what we do in training but would like likes of Scally who I think had the same role before really have been so much better?  Not convinced (and that's of course nothing against Scally).  

I do think him and Kerr will get it right and I'd definitely disagree with the comment that there is nothing to back this up - as someone said we've had some decent enough performances and if not for some absolute mental collapses in games we would be sitting in a pretty good position in the league.   Would be madness IMO to bin a manager before the end of his first full season, never mind a season that had such a bizarre preseason and still is very strange due to all the distancing / no fans etc.     

Assuming we stay up I'd be saying the time to judge was around October / November - if he had been given a summer window to continue to work on his style and sign players to fix the identified issues and we were STILL in the same situation then yes that's time to act.  Just seems mental to me to let someone make some signing mistakes, but let them learn from them elsewhere without giving the chance to do so here.   

1 minute ago, Robbo63 said:

And all those posters recently saying he would not sign for us as bigger teams were interested and likely not liking Kerr’s tactics , he is obviously enjoying his time here 

I thought he would be away i have to say.  The fact he stayed here for 6 months only - wonder if that means the supposed USA move might be one he is keen on and is waiting to see what the situation is come the summer.   Who knows.  Excellent news we have him until end of season at least!

12 minutes ago, Hursty said:

I thought he would be away i have to say.  The fact he stayed here for 6 months only - wonder if that means the supposed USA move might be one he is keen on and is waiting to see what the situation is come the summer.   Who knows.  Excellent news we have him until end of season at least!

Think it could be down to transfer market being  very poor this January , clubs not likely to pay decent transfer fees with the current uncertainty and money at most clubs being non existent, 

I was confident Cammy would stay when I thought the 2 club rule was still in place. When it turned out that a player could play for 3 clubs I did despair. However, indications were that he was close to agreeing a deal, did the Ayrshire Post not say as much a couple of weeks back? I'm chuffed he's staying.

Hopefully we get a forward in to lead the line, hold up the ball and play others in. I'd prefer a no nonsense central midfielder as well but we can't have everything. 

Edited by Trogdor

Just watching the Italian Supercopa between Juve and Napoli and the commentators are discussing the state of the pitch and how difficult it is to play a fast flowing passing style on it and they reckon that the teams should be more direct and adapt their style accordingly to suit the pitch conditions.

First off, the pitch is like a bowling green compared to Somerset or any other Scottish ground and secondly they've got Ronaldo, Insigne, Zielinski, Arthur, Chiesa, Bernardeschi on the pitch, so if these guys are struggling due to the pitch, then what do we expect from our guys !!!

2 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Just watching the Italian Supercopa between Juve and Napoli and the commentators are discussing the state of the pitch and how difficult it is to play a fast flowing passing style on it and they reckon that the teams should be more direct and adapt their style accordingly to suit the pitch conditions.

First off, the pitch is like a bowling green compared to Somerset or any other Scottish ground and secondly they've got Ronaldo, Insigne, Zielinski, Arthur, Chiesa, Bernardeschi on the pitch, so if these guys are struggling due to the pitch, then what do we expect from our guys !!!

Forgot that Aaron Ramsey was still over in Italy...

As for your point though, we play direct no matter what pitch, weather or surface it is and that would continue even if we changed it to astro. I think Juventus play a lot of counter attacking football anyway, as noticed with their second goal tonight.

Also, for a side note I hate it when commentators refer Juventus to "Juve"