The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, HMIP said:

Take a look a the Maradona documentary - the pitches are awful.  Apparently nowadays, Barcelona have a pitch at the youth academy that is deliberately kept in poor condition so that young players learn to play football on it.

I don't know, they've got better technical ability so might cope better but having said that I've watched the likes of Barca struggle really badly in away matches to the likes of Osasuna and Valladolid in the middle of winter when their pitches are all cutting up just the same.

The bottom line for me is that you simply can't play a fast slick passing attacking style in Scotland in the middle of winter, so you either adapt or fail.

You can have a wee guy who has the ball stuck to his feet playing on a muddy pitch, like Henry Templeton - Dunfermline v Ayr Scottish Cup 1988 think it was - pitch not great, football not great but he glided around with the ball.

I was never a fan of all weather pitches - and I have an ignorance of newer versions - but I think that it is where we should be aiming for.

Are hybrid pitches still a thing and are they any good?

I remember the whole “sanding of the pitch” incident to get a game on years ago, and remember my old man saying that it would ruin it for years to come - how right he was

Who has the best artificial surface around? What do the players think? Anyone know?

[quote

Who has the best artificial surface around? What do the players think? Anyone know?

I spoke to one of our under 18’s recently and asked him about grass v. artificial.
He said they never play or train on grass the only grass pitch they are ever on is at Murray Park when the play Rangers.
Makes you think there is no future in grass if it is alien to our next generation of player as this will be the same for all of them no matter where they come from.

1 hour ago, JohnGAYR said:

[quote

I spoke to one of our under 18’s recently and asked him about grass v. artificial.
He said they never play or train on grass the only grass pitch they are ever on is at Murray Park when the play Rangers.
Makes you think there is no future in grass if it is alien to our next generation of player as this will be the same for all of them no matter where they come from.

The top teams all play on grass though.  This is surely a fundamental problem with our youth development in that players are learning to play football on a surface that is different to the surface they will hopefully play on in the top leagues.  Modern football is all about zipping the ball about as fast as possible - you just can’t do that on a sticky AstroTurf pitch.

The pitch this season seems atrocious even more so than usual for this time of year and weather. Do you think seeing it on camera versus in the flesh makes it look worse? It just seems a bit strange to me how it can be so much worse this year. 

As AUFC 1910 suggested. Can we not get a hybrid pitch that is grass and artificial? I'd settle for that.

Edited by Trogdor

7 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

As AUFC 1910 suggested. Can we not get a hybrid pitch that is grass and artificial? I'd settle for that.

Knowing us we'll probably make our hybrid pitch as one half of grass and the other of astro. 

Edited by THEHonestman1910

14 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

The pitch this season seems atrocious even more so than usual for this time of year and weather. Do you think seeing it on camera versus in the flesh makes it look worse? It just seems a bit strange to me how it can be so much worse this year. 

Think they cost close to a million, the decent ones anyway.

Edited by UpInTheAyr

9 hours ago, HMIP said:

The top teams all play on grass though.  This is surely a fundamental problem with our youth development in that players are learning to play football on a surface that is different to the surface they will hopefully play on in the top leagues.  Modern football is all about zipping the ball about as fast as possible - you just can’t do that on a sticky AstroTurf grass pitch.

If things don't improve on the pitch would love for our new owner to make Stephen Robinson our new manager for next season.

A real statement that he has ambitions to win the Championship and take us to the Premiership.

50 minutes ago, ftk said:

If things don't improve on the pitch would love for our new owner to make Stephen Robinson our new manager for next season.

A real statement that he has ambitions to win the Championship and take us to the Premiership.

That Motherwell team is a top five team and he has struggled to get a tune out of them. Sound familiar ?

That Motherwell team is a top five team and he has struggled to get a tune out of them. Sound familiar ?
You can't argue he did a fantastic job at Motherwell? As most managers who leave a club it did go a bit pear shaped at the end. He had to rebuild a new team nearly every season as many of his players left for bigger clubs.

I wouldn't think Motherwell were in the top 5 budgets, but he regularly over achieved with the players he had.