The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

I agree with you but this has been the blanket approach across the piece and not just for football clubs. Personally I know of quite a few businesses who have actually MADE money through the covid grants and anyone self employed with a half decent accountant will be the same.

There's also all those on furlough being paid more for doing nothing by the tax payer than many of those who are knocking their pan in daily on the front line.

Ultimately a quick fix and a blanket policy was required as opposed to individual scrutiny, it's far from ideal but circumstances have dictated I'm afraid.

When the TV deal or prize money gets divided up, or voting structure etc, we all moan about it so we can't gloat when we are the beneficiary of something like this. If a Supermarket took financial aid and then posted a profit, or a private company took it and then announced an investment in something or other, it looks grubby.  

If we signed players and were going to have a financial shortfall because of Covid then that is covered and that is the minimum we should hope for. If however, we had signed players and were going to have a shortfall regardless of crowds or not, that's when it gets murky, unfair advantage stuff. 

It is unprecedented times and it may have been necessary at the time but I wouldn't be surprised if the treasury tried to claw back monies from businesses over the next few years that received cash they perhaps didn't require to keep running. 

3 minutes ago, Lochwood said:

Listened too the new chairman quite impressed by him and his plans but I Don’t think Kerr will be getting much if anything to spend this January which is quite worrying.

If Smith had came out and said he was putting money in to the transfer budget, all of a sudden players, clubs and agents would be adding a few % on to what they would have been looking for before, I wouldn't read to much in to it. Say money is tight and keep on saying it. 

Wonder what the deal actually was. Should mean we’re completely debt free now as our only loans were from Cameron and not the banks I’m sure. I wonder if Cameron’s maybe written them off and it’s been a £1 sale.

Will the sale be part of the companies accounts that are viewable? 

13 hours ago, mugen_power said:

Scored one like that against Partick aswell did he not?

Maybe it was just because I was there rather than watching it on a screen but I thought the one at Partick was even more impressive because of the way he took it and the pace and dip he managed to get on it.

Anyway I think he has sewn up the goal of the month award for January.

7 hours ago, Iain said:

Didn't sound to me like Cameron wrote off 100% of his debt, but whether the remainder was paid off in the deal or remains a liability I don't know.

The one thing that gives me pause for thought is how the new owner refers to things as belonging to him with the club getting the benefit - the new land purchase, the hub. It would be better if the club owned these things and weren't beholden to an individual.

His request for investors who do not expect any return is honest, but bold.

I took it that the club was now debt free and Lachlan had written off over £1,000,000 of debt.  

I agree with you on the ownership of assets but I guess the way it was explained was that the club as a business can't actually afford these assets. 

Edited by itzdrk

11 hours ago, callum-ayr said:

Wonder what the deal actually was. Should mean we’re completely debt free now as our only loans were from Cameron and not the banks I’m sure. I wonder if Cameron’s maybe written them off and it’s been a £1 sale.

Will the sale be part of the companies accounts that are viewable? 

I'd imagine it may feature as an event after the reporting period.

The next statutory accounts will cover to 30 June 2020 and should be on Companies House towards the end of March.

1 hour ago, itzdrk said:

I took it that the club was now debt free and Lachlan had written off over £1,000,000 of debt.  

I agree with you on the ownership of assets but I guess the way it was explained was that the club as a business can't actually afford these assets. 

Yeah, agree my understanding was a significant write down by Lachlan.

On the assets, I wasn't altogether sure what he meant. I thought he was getting at the fact he would pay for them and the club would gain all the income from them. There are various ways that could be arranged but the key thing is its a new income stream for the club.

Lachlan has written off debts of near £1m, confirmed in AP interview
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/lachlan-cameron-time-right-hand-23314911
Bloody hell don't really want to know how on earth did we built up debts of £1m
A lot of bad years with shortfalls/budget issues/tax bills with directors covering them with loans.
As well as Heathfield planning costs etc

1 hour ago, rb123! said:

New roofs on the stands, new floodlights, walls, new tractor and general maintenance of the field of dreams will also have cost us a pretty penny over the past few years.

1 hour ago, rb123! said:

They were over £2million afaik. 

20 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

New roofs on the stands, new floodlights, walls, new tractor and general maintenance of the field of dreams will also have cost us a pretty penny over the past few years.

True, however at the time we had a mostly successful team on the park in a competitive league with strong attendances boosted by big away crowds, along with well functioning in-house shop and hospitality so you would have thought some of the costs would have been able to be recouped, maybe not though.

Dave Smith did talk about us not utilising income streams in comparison to other clubs, would be interesting to know what other income streams he's thinking about.

9 minutes ago, rb123! said:

True, however at the time we had a mostly successful team on the park in a competitive league with strong attendances boosted by big away crowds, along with well functioning in-house shop and hospitality so you would have thought some of the costs would have been able to be recouped, maybe not though.

Dave Smith did talk about us not utilising income streams in comparison to other clubs, would be interesting to know what other income streams he's thinking about.

I think we've been very poor in the cashing in on players side of things in relation to our peers, we never seem to get any funds from transfers and Gary Teale to Wigan was probably the last decent wedge of cash that we received.

Other clubs seem to bring in the odd £100k here or £200k there but in the past 20 years we seem to always lose our decent players for nothing, although I suppose we were at a lower level for a while with a squad full of donkeys at times !!

Hopefully with longer contracts and a higher club profile things like that will now change.

From that I thought about pre and post match income from a social club/bar, perhaps like Dunfermline's in their main stand (far bigger than our hospitality suite). This is something that is already being addressed with the new Somerset Hub.

I'm sure I read something about office space in the North Terracing when it gets developed, so there's that too. New hospitality suites will have to be built if a roof goes over the North Terracing, so more income through improved hospitality too.

If we move to a synthetic park, perhaps leasing that out sustainably so that it brings in cash without wearing it down prematurely.

There's also the Black and White TV service now.

Just a few ideas.