The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

8 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Dinosaur types can embrace change and technology

I give you Alan Sugar. 

Possibly, however the classic football dinosaur doesn’t! 

Alan Sugar possibly more roaster than dinosaur. Actually just had a flashback after your social media comment - maybe Hughes more of a roaster too. However Raith potentially an isolated incident in terms of his poor man management. 

1 hour ago, Iain said:

I still have an issue with him from his time here as a player. Came in on big money, barely dragged himself around the field until he got dropped, only got back in the team due to injuries, then started acting like the big I am in the media ahead of the cup final as though he was some kind of club legend. Zero humility.

Don’t remember that at all.  Had some fitness issues in his first season, but was a pretty solid centre back for us.  Proper leader on the park as well.  No idea what sort of person he is, but he did a job for us.

Hughes as a player is exactly what this team needs now. An experienced organiser who talks others through games would have prevented the collapsed &rses at Cappielow, Gayfield and Tynecastle so we wouldn't be having this conversation about his managerial abilities as we would be sitting comfortably in the play off places.
If Kerr can sort out a solid, dependable, centre half and find a forward who can get us 20-30 yards up the park, linking play with the 2 or 3 around him, then we'll be fine. Baird was meant to be the first and Anderson the second, but neither really worked out that way.

There's a lot of spin wrt. Hughes time in charge of Raith. The players are just as culpable. All of whom continued to be employed (by Raith or others) whereas Hughes spent 3.5 years out of the game. Managers criticise their players in public frequently, some of the best do it. They normally expect to see a reaction from the players. Hughes did - the players chucked it! 🤣

I want to take this opportunity to wish you all a Happy New Year when it arrives. I really hope 2021 is a helluva lot better than 2020 was. Here’s hoping we can get back to Somerset and be able to cheer (or moan!) the lads on. I’ve sure missed the old place and the characters within our fan base on match days 😢 

I have vague recollection of John Hughes being on Sportsound just after McCall was appointed Ayr manager. I think he was asked if he had applied and Hughes said while he had not applied he was surprised not to have been interviewed for the job! I'm amazed he's got a job in the Premiership. I wonder whose fault it will be if Ross County are relegated?

I have vague recollection of John Hughes being on Sportsound just after McCall was appointed Ayr manager. I think he was asked if he had applied and Hughes said while he had not applied he was surprised not to have been interviewed for the job! I'm amazed he's got a job in the Premiership. I wonder whose fault it will be if Ross County are relegated?

He would still have been in charge of ICT at that point but I do remember him having a wee dig at the club when Kerr was appointed. He said he never formally applied for the job but did enquire about it in some way but apparently no one at the club got back to him. Surely if you’re interested then go through all the proper channels rather than acting like your above it.

16 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

He would still have been in charge of ICT at that point but I do remember him having a wee dig at the club when Kerr was appointed. He said he never formally applied for the job but did enquire about it in some way but apparently no one at the club got back to him. Surely if you’re interested then go through all the proper channels rather than acting like your above it.

In some areas of job hunting  what he did is a smart move particularly when people know about one another. An interview process is a pain in the arse where there can be a lot of messing around and your mind gets distracted. If they don’t want you or someone else is already pencilled in then it can be best not to waste your time 

9 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

In some areas of job hunting  what he did is a smart move particularly when people know about one another. An interview process is a pain in the arse where there can be a lot of messing around and your mind gets distracted. If they don’t want you or someone else is already pencilled in then it can be best not to waste your time 

Yeah, most managers speak to the club concerned before sticking in an application. A recent example of that was Tommy Wright for the N Ireland job, he enquired was encouraged to apply and didn't get it. Enquiring about a vacancy before puting in an application isn't remotely unusual. 

2 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I want to take this opportunity to wish you all a Happy New Year when it arrives. I really hope 2021 is a helluva lot better than 2020 was. Here’s hoping we can get back to Somerset and be able to cheer (or moan!) the lads on. I’ve sure missed the old place and the characters within our fan base on match days 😢 

Happy new year pal. 

48 minutes ago, wuffster said:

:lol:

50 minutes ago, wuffster said:

Nah that’s not true. He was asked if he applied and he advised he had enquired about the job and was told by someone at the club that they already had someone lined up. 

48 minutes ago, wuffster said:

I wonder whose fault it will be if Ross County are relegated?

Ross County have a decent squad, I think its more likely he'll keep them up than not. In that scenario I wonder if he'll get any credit or it'll have been in spite of him?

13 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Nah that’s not true. He was asked if he applied and he advised he had enquired about the job and was told by someone at the club that they already had someone lined up. 

Fair enough, happy to be corrected.

12 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Ross County have a decent squad, I think its more likely he'll keep them up than not. In that scenario I wonder if he'll get any credit or it'll have been in spite of him?

Yep, that was a cheap shot by me. I just don't fancy him as a manager at all.

53 minutes ago, wuffster said:

Yep, that was a cheap shot by me. I just don't fancy him as a manager at all.

I don't disagree with you, I think he'd have been a bad fit for us after McCall left. Particularly with the volume of squad turnover each season and the amount of players we lost from last season to this.

Its the perception that he's horrendous I take issue with. He had a truly awful 15 game spell with Raith but that shouldn't erase what came before.

Anyway enough about Yogi, I'm off to watch Mick's interview.