The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

35 minutes ago, Rodders1910 said:

Is it mick mccardle thats currently isolating? Can't recall seeing him on the TV at all last night

Think it is the physio, the massage therapist that was the half time guest a few weeks ago in the club streaming was doing the pitch runs last night

Brian McLaughlin, Dixie Ingram, Ricky Fleming, Johnny Doyle

Wee Henry Templeton watched him score very late in a game when I was in the enclosure, I walked straight out after he was taken off In the last minute to the prince of wales pub for a pint and he was in there before me drinking a pint and a fag, what a player.

Couldnae believe the height of Dixie in his later years for his  height he could jump any centre half, Billy McNeil said he was the hardest centre he played against.

8 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

There are a lot of one dimensional strikers about, like Ally Graham, Sam McGivern, Gordon Daziel, Colin McGlashin, Grady and Eddie Annand who were very good at what they did but Kerrigan, Shankland, Hurst and Ian Ferguson are probably the best all round forwards I have seen, they could score any type of goal from anywhere on the park. 

Ian Ferguson should be on my list. I also always liked Laurent Djaffo.

Is it mick mccardle thats currently isolating? Can't recall seeing him on the TV at all last night
Think it was the physio, the former physio who was with us for a bit after being at rangers for a while was there on Friday night, guys called McLellan I think and has physio studio in Ayr, still very highly regarded by all accounts.

Worrying for the physio considering the cancer battle I'm sure he had a couple of years ago as I would have thought he'd be in a bit of a higher risk bracket

Lastly I'd go with Duncan George, Terry Hurlock was one of the most feared players of his generation and Duncan George broke his ribs. good passer of the ball but loved a sliding challenge, the boom that used to go up when he tackled a player could be heard in Prestwick.

Looking at Duncan you'd never imagine him putting in the tackles he did. Always got Christmas off as he was over the points tally for suspension.

The one I always mention and will never forget was put in on Tony Rougier v Raith. He was waltzing round anyone at will. I think we were one down. Rougier started another waltz on one side of the centre circle. George clearly had seen enough. He flew through the midfield pack at a fair pace and launched a 2 footed waist high assault on Rougier and absolutely flattened him( only Jim Dick booting Gary Holt into the Killie dugout was funnier,or Adams on Falkingham). Rougier barely went by anyone for the rest of the game and got taken off.

9 hours ago, Lochwood said:

Brian McLaughlin, Dixie Ingram, Ricky Fleming, Johnny Doyle

Wee Henry Templeton watched him score very late in a game when I was in the enclosure, I walked straight out after he was taken off In the last minute to the prince of wales pub for a pint and he was in there before me drinking a pint and a fag, what a player.

Couldnae believe the height of Dixie in his later years for his  height he could jump any centre half, Billy McNeil said he was the hardest centre he played against.

Add Hughie Sproat and what a 5 a side team that would be 

7 hours ago, davidkennedyshand said:

Looking at Duncan you'd never imagine him putting in the tackles he did. Always got Christmas off as he was over the points tally for suspension.

The one I always mention and will never forget was put in on Tony Rougier v Raith. He was waltzing round anyone at will. I think we were one down. Rougier started another waltz on one side of the centre circle. George clearly had seen enough. He flew through the midfield pack at a fair pace and launched a 2 footed waist high assault on Rougier and absolutely flattened him( only Jim Dick booting Gary Holt into the Killie dugout was funnier,or Adams on Falkingham). Rougier barely went by anyone for the rest of the game and got taken off.

Although not exactly a legend, you can add Mark Humphries to that list. Game against Hamilton at Fir Park in 1997. In the first few minutes Accies played long ball towards Jose Quitongo. As Humphries headed the ball out of play he also nudged Quitongo into an advertising board.  Accies'  most dangerous player was anonymous for the rest of the match.

Scottish Cup replay at Fir Park. Davie Cooper had been superb all night and took us apart. Second half, Duncan George had clearly had enough and launched him over the touchline, face first onto the gravel.

First went Somerset Park in 1970, my all time favourite player is John Murphy (mr consistency) never had a bad game what a legend, Dixie Ingram a superb header of a ball and hard as nails, big Sanny McAnespie would clatter the opossition centre forward in the first 15 mins partnered by the classy Ricki Flemming, Davie McCullough and Gordon Cramond small guys but great players, Brian McLaughlin was pure class, Stevo and Glynn Hurst loved watching both play , and Super Cally - Ian McAllister the best captain i have seen and what a leader on the park and of course wee Henry the twinkle toed magician

11 hours ago, davidkennedyshand said:

Hearing all the tales about Duncan George really makes me wish I was around to see him play! Seems like my kind of player 😄

I first started going to games around 1990/91when I was 6 or 7 - one of my main early memories from the first few years is being on the North Terracing and any time Duncan George got fouled folk would shout to him "it was number 6 Duncan" just to make sure he knew who he was putting up in the air in revenge.  Wasn't even a big destroyer type either - just incredibly hard tackler.  

Im sure the Duncan lovers will enjoy this story I can tell a great early story about Duncan, while running Ayr Boswell youth team under 15 , we were struggling a we bit for players and one of my players said he had a pal who had just moved to Alloway and gave him a trial

His  first game was against Beith youths who had a really big aggressive midfielder Duncan went through him and after one tackle he had a bloody nose. Incensed after the blood had stopped he came back on raging and looking for Duncan next fifty fifty no contest Duncan flattened him again and he was carried off.

After the game I said son your the hardest player I’ve seen even though you are from nice Alloway, oh but he quipped I moved from Glasgow  im from easterhouse I couldn’t stop laughing to my self theres was I thinking we were getting a soft touch from Alloway.

Duncan was a great boy to manage as a youth and he went on to sign for Ayr when the team came back from a Canada youth tournament we were at.

Youll see him in a Facebook picture that comes up now and then in the Ayrshire post bottom right when the Boswell and Valspar went to the Robbie tournament in Canada  And not as stated to the Ggothia cup

18 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Hearing all the tales about Duncan George really makes me wish I was around to see him play! Seems like my kind of player 😄

The thing about Duncan was that he was actually quite slight / medium build and was also a pretty classy footballer, however his tackling was absolutely superb and generally very hard and well timed. (Keeping in mind this was when tackling was still permitted in the game).

100% every game and also got his team mates up when the chips were down.

I think his family owned the bike shop in the town as well if I'm not mistaken.