The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

4 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Seeing Stevo as a pundit on last nights game got me thinking about who my top 5 Ayr players would be. My first game was 1998 so I reckon mine would be (in no order) 

Ryan Stevenson, Glynn Hurst, Jamie Adams, Lawrence Shankland, Nicky Devlin. 

Who’d be in your list?

The best or my favorite would be two different answers, my favorite would be -

Henry Templeton and Shankland are the only players in my time that I was absolutely gutted when they left, Horace was another genius of a player who should have played at a higher level. I missed most of Ian McCallisters time at Ayr but I remember he came back from a bad injury in maybe 91, came off the bench and I think either rescued a draw or we got a win, but it was purely because he pulled the team through and left the park like he'd played the full 90 minutes. Lastly I'd go with Duncan George, Terry Hurlock was one of the most feared players of his generation and Duncan George broke his ribs. good passer of the ball but loved a sliding challenge, the boom that used to go up when he tackled a player could be heard in Prestwick. He broke a Brechin players leg causing him to be out for about year, then broke it again the next time he played against him. 

As a primary school kid it was Dixie and Doyle .

At High School it was McCall and Masterton .

The boozy eighties it has to be Sludden and Templeton .

Steadier nineties it was Hurst and Teale . 

The last twenty it has to be Shankland head and shoulders above the rest . 

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

The best or my favorite would be two different answers, my favorite would be -

Henry Templeton and Shankland are the only players in my time that I was absolutely gutted when they left, Horace was another genius of a player who should have played at a higher level. I missed most of Ian McCallisters time at Ayr but I remember he came back from a bad injury in maybe 91, came off the bench and I think either rescued a draw or we got a win, but it was purely because he pulled the team through and left the park like he'd played the full 90 minutes. Lastly I'd go with Duncan George, Terry Hurlock was one of the most feared players of his generation and Duncan George broke his ribs. good passer of the ball but loved a sliding challenge, the boom that used to go up when he tackled a player could be heard in Prestwick. He broke a Brechin players leg causing him to be out for about year, then broke it again the next time he played against him. 

We must be of a similar age as I'd echo your comments almost exactly.

I'd maybe add in Stevie Evans, Glynn Hurst, Gary Teale and I also thought Andy Walker was pure class in an Ayr shirt but Dunan George probably my all time favourite as well.

The game you're thinking about was Cappielow I think, where we were 3-1 down with about 10 mins to go and won 4-3 (a bit of a reversal from this season !!)

Edited by WATTOO

2 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

We must be of a similar age as I'd echo your comments almost exactly.

I'd maybe add in Stevie Evans, Glynn Hurst, Gary Teale and I also thought Andy Walker was pure class in an Ayr shirt but Dunan George probably my all time favourite as well.

The game you're thinking about was Cappielow I think, where we were 3-1 down with about 10 mins to go and won 4-3 (a bit of a reveral from this season !!)

Cally hit it from about four mile out!😀. Absolute scenes when it went into the top corner! One of my favourite awaydays.

1 minute ago, paulbrucerick said:

Cally hit it from about four mile out!😀. Absolute scenes when it went into the top corner! One of my favourite awaydays.

Yes, that and the 3-2 cup win at Fir park probably my 2 favourites of all time (didn't make the 5-0 at Tannadice unfortunately).

6 minutes ago, paulbrucerick said:

I also really enjoyed Firhill on the last day of the season in '98! 

Yes, the relegation battle, was it Hugh Burns and Djaffo that scored ?