The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

3 hours ago, rb123! said:

Don't think the pitch helps tbh, pitch surface/quality is turgid at this time of year.

If this is going to be the norm of having about 4 months a season with the pitch like this i'd rather we get astro in, give us an opportunity to play it on the deck more. Far too many times today where players were slipping about all over the place in mud and big bobbles on passes.

Never ever say you want a astro  pitch I would love a muddy grass pitch at Palmerston not real football for me on a astro pitch 

50 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Its a tad early for that, even if we lose to Dundee. The squad certainly aren't performing to the level they should be. Kerr has acknowledged that, I'd be more pissed if he was saying he was content with the dross we served up today. Keep the faith, this squad will come good!

I hope you're right

32 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Only got that squad because of Mark Kerr , takes a lot more than 2 /3 games to gel  a squad , not had opportunity to play same team twice due to injuries , international call ups and suspension,but if you feel like that it’s your priority, 

We've been playing for nearly two months though if you include pre-season friendlies, plus we're in a shortened season as it is. And no him getting sacked is not my priority or wish. 

The jury was still very much out in regards to Mark Kerr going into this season and I’ve not seen anything so far to change my mind on that one. We were very poor today however somehow managed to get through which is the main thing. We however don’t look like a team that are going to make the promotion playoffs which was obviously the aim. Still early in the season of course but a few concerning signs emerging. 

3 hours ago, Jazzar said:

Having watched the highlights of Stranraer (ploughed field) vs Hamilton Accies (plastic shite) earlier in the week, I do wonder if the happy medium of a half decent pitch has gone for ever in Scotland 🙁. Given the weather we get around this time of year, I can see why it was difficult to play anything approaching 'flowing football' at Somerset today and I'm even finding myself wondering if 'plastic shite' is the way forward in our league? Whatever, I'm just glad we've got through. Need to get a lot more solid in the middle of the back - their goal was disgrace. But our hold-up play was good at times. Glad we've got through - nuff said  

Stranraer goal was a good worked goal , your one was suspect Linesman was away behind play. Wait till you see the highlights.

17 minutes ago, Lochwood said:

Have to agree about the after match interviews very amateurish wind noise etc, absolutely shocking todays

Their hands are a bit tied with covid on this one, if it's windy they'd be as well doing it over zoom or something later. 

7 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Based on what I've seen so far, mid table dross is the best we can hope for.

I'd take that now to be fair.    Shiter of a season with no fans and money worries - if we can be sitting next June having been mid table dress with a few players already signed up for the new season and somehow fans allowed back I'd be delighted.    

I'd take that now to be fair.    Shiter of a season with no fans and money worries - if we can be sitting next June having been mid table dress with a few players already signed up for the new season and somehow fans allowed back I'd be delighted.    

I tend to agree with this.
Use this season to build for an all out attack on the top spot for next season.
No fans / streaming pish is doing everyone’s head in!!!

13 hours ago, Robbo63 said:

Only got that squad because of Mark Kerr , takes a lot more than 2 /3 games to gel  a squad , not had opportunity to play same team twice due to injuries , international call ups and suspension,but if you feel like that it’s your priority, 

We’ve played 8 competitive games plus another 3 in pre-season, so I don’t think that really sticks anymore.  The failures we saw yesterday have been there to some extent in every game this season.  The team looks slow, heavy legged and leaderless on the park.  We’ve taken a number of gambles on players that show no sign of paying off.  Walsh had a reputation of being made of glass long before he cane to Ayr and the turgid performance from Zanatta yesterday would have been very recognisable I’m sure to Partick fans.  We’ve signed a league 1 standard right back in the bizarre belief he can play centre midfield in the championship with Kerr having to throw himself on yesterday to show him (and Chalmers) what a progressive forward pass looks like.  I had high hopes for Anderson based on comments from Dunfermline fans, but he has been totally ineffective so far.

Murdoch, Smith, Cameron and Muirhead will surely help, and I have to believe Houston will improve with match fitness (he’s a yard off the pace at the moment), but I’m not immediately clear how we’re going to fix an accident prone defence and a powder puff midfield.

We’ve played 8 competitive games plus another 3 in pre-season, so I don’t think that really sticks anymore.  The failures we saw yesterday have been there to some extent in every game this season.  The team looks slow, heavy legged and leaderless on the park.  We’ve taken a number of gambles on players that show no sign of paying off.  Walsh had a reputation of being made of glass long before he cane to Ayr and the turgid performance from Zanatta yesterday would have been very recognisable I’m sure to Partick fans.  We’ve signed a league 1 standard right back in the bizarre belief he can play centre midfield in the championship with Kerr having to throw himself on yesterday to show him (and Chalmers) what a progressive forward pass looks like.  I had high hopes for Anderson based on comments from Dunfermline fans, but he has been totally ineffective so far.

Murdoch, Smith, Cameron and Muirhead will surely help, and I have to believe Houston will improve with match fitness (he’s a yard off the pace at the moment), but I’m not immediately clear how we’re going to fix an accident prone defence and a powder puff midfield.

With regards to Miller, he’s always been a midfielder that can also play right back and he’s been far from one of our worst players this season. The issue for me isn’t the likes of Chalmers or Miller. It’s the attacking midfielders in front of them not doing enough to break teams down or support Anderson. The guy is only ineffective because we aren’t doing anything to help him.

The error prone defence is an issue but hopefully once we have Baird and Muirhead next to each other that improves a bit.

12 hours ago, thomas 62 said:

Stranraer goal was a good worked goal , your one was suspect Linesman was away behind play. Wait till you see the highlights.

Your goal was a disgrace from a defensive point of view (Roscoe will have been hammered for what he tried to do) - hence my comment. Our goal isn't made any more suspect or otherwise from the highlights. You were unlucky in the end even if Fleming kept you in it with two fantastic saves from Anderson and MacCowan. TBH, I didn't fancy us taking penalties against a former AU hero in goal for you but that's the lottery of penalty shoot outs. Onwards - but I'll be pleased when Murdoch, Reading, Walsh, Cameron, Smith and Whitehead are back in that team. 

Edited by Jazzar
Forgot about Cammy too!

49 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

With regards to Miller, he’s always been a midfielder that can also play right back and he’s been far from one of our worst players this season. The issue for me isn’t the likes of Chalmers or Miller. It’s the attacking midfielders in front of them not doing enough to break teams down or support Anderson. The guy is only ineffective because we aren’t doing anything to help him.

The error prone defence is an issue but hopefully once we have Baird and Muirhead next to each other that improves a bit.

I think you’ve got it the wrong way round.  Doesn’t matter who is up front, if the midfield isn’t able to assert some level of control the forward line is always going to be isolated.  That Anderson isn’t holding the ball up at all doesn’t help, but the fact that we have 2 midfielders just recycling possession deep inside their own half is no good.  In Kerr’s defence, the fact he put himself on was a recognition of how poorly the midfield was playing.  When players like Moffat, Smith and McCowan consistently can’t  get a toehold in games,  there needs to be a recognition that the root of the problem lies elsewhere.   As a midfield 2, Chalmers and Miller are too slow and too limited.

I think you’ve got it the wrong way round.  Doesn’t matter who is up front, if the midfield isn’t able to assert some level of control the forward line is always going to be isolated.  That Anderson isn’t holding the ball up at all doesn’t help, but the fact that we have 2 midfielders just recycling possession deep inside their own half is no good.  In Kerr’s defence, the fact he put himself on was a recognition of how poorly the midfield was playing.  When players like Moffat, Smith and McCowan consistently can’t  get a toehold in games,  there needs to be a recognition that the root of the problem lies elsewhere.   As a midfield 2, Chalmers and Miller are too slow and too limited.

I’ve not. Miller said himself he’s a midfielder but like Geggan can cover RB.

If players can’t get a toehold in games then they need to look at themselves and play better. Chalmers does far more than simply recycle possession. He may have been sloppy yesterday but when there was a pass on he tried to play it forward. But yes I agree you need Murdoch in there to make the midfield a bit mote mobile.

If players can’t get a toehold in games then they need to look at themselves and play better. Chalmers does far more than simply recycle possession. He may have been sloppy yesterday but when there was a pass on he tried to play it forward. But yes I agree you need Murdoch in there to make the midfield a bit mote mobile.

15 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I have to say I'm still to be convinced by Chalmers. My grandad describes him as a Rolls Royce and is effusive in his praise. Whereas I think he has a penchant for taking an extra touch, seems to only have one speed setting and his set pieces have deteriorated (which initially was one of his big pluses).

I'm well aware he has good passing range but I'm not convinced he is contributing enough when he doesn't have the ball. He's not alone in that regard tbh.

I also don't like that the two centre mids both get dragged wide to cover the wings when the full backs push up. It leaves acres of space in the middle of the park, particularly when teams break on the counter.

Also, why have we started taking short corners? I've yet to see a short corner result in a goal in the flesh. Maybe seen a goal from one once on Match of the Day. It seems to be all the rage but I think they are less effective. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Trogdor

33 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Geggan had a track record of playing midfield at championship level for us and at other clubs.  I’m not clear that’s ever been the case with Miller.  Regards Chalmers, my main concern is that he is exactly the player Inverness fans described. - tidy but limited.

Some pure pain getting spouted by our fans today , many are hugely disappointed with how it’s went so far . However a couple of things to bare in mind , this summer has been a monster of a re-build , the one that McCall talked of and indeed ran away from . As of yet we have not been able to field our first choice defence . This has given Roscoe his chance and it’s fair to say he has not take it . Formation  wise we have gone with the exciting 4-2-3-1 . This systems has its drawbacks ,sometimes the three can go all rockstar and forget they to have to get stuck in . It’s looking like for some reason it ain’t working for the team in general and the classy Anderson in particular .Maybe the more old fashioned but widely understood 4-4-2 is the way to go for a while , particularly with the Scottish winter just about on us . This would allow us to get Cameron on the field and see if he is up to it . Also puts two of our four wingers on the bench with a bit of pressure to perform when they come on .

Dundee on Saturday and a 1-0 ugly win would be nice , let’s hope we can go and get . Oh and the league cup draw is on tv after the Hibs game today , we’re in it and the county rivals with treble our budget are not . So not everything is shit . Give Mark and his new team a chance lads ....

I'd change things up against Dundee, the formation is set and there isn't much of a way round using it unless we acquire a central midfielder with a bit more dynamism.  

My shake ups would be:

LINEUP111605447950769.thumb.png.4538c52424716d070ac1cc0b9f1dc784.png

Bench looks good for changing things up too.