The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, Robbo63 said:

I agree  with you that we need an experienced. centre half , my point was more to the people who were saying Kerr should not have let Bell go , there were reasons that the club could not change his mind 

No arguments from me on any of your points mate.

If the player wants to go, for whatever reason, history proves that there's little point in having them around. We're building a very good reputation for how we treat and develop our players, (Saturday's opponents take note), long may that continue.

I think people might be missing the point with Bell.  Whatever his strengths and weaknesses were, if was it his time to move on, we needed to replace him with an experienced centre back.  We didn’t do that and are now left with a very inexperienced back 4 which caught us out big time on Saturday.  
We just can’t rely on Muirhead to not go rogue on us and he certainly isn’t the calm organiser we badly need next to Baird.  I’ll be the first to recognise that Michael Rose’s development curve at Ayr was pretty extraordinary, but I fear we’ve fallen into the trap with Roscoe of thinking it will always be that way with rejects from elite youth academies.  

3 hours ago, HMIP said:

I think people might be missing the point with Bell.  Whatever his strengths and weaknesses were, if was it his time to move on, we needed to replace him with an experienced centre back.  We didn’t do that and are now left with a very inexperienced back 4 which caught us out big time on Saturday.  
We just can’t rely on Muirhead to not go rogue on us and he certainly isn’t the calm organiser we badly need next to Baird.  I’ll be the first to recognise that Michael Rose’s development curve at Ayr was pretty extraordinary, but I fear we’ve fallen into the trap with Roscoe of thinking it will always be that way with rejects from elite youth academies.  

Are Baird and Muirhead not experienced? Muirhead is 30 and has played for plenty teams in plenty of games, while Baird is only 23, he has played an absolute ton and has plenty of experience at this level. 

3 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Aberdeen have lost striker Marley Watkins for eight weeks with a hamstring injury, hmmm hope they don't get another injury or they might recall Anderson

They can't recall him until January 1st, will be grand. 

6 hours ago, HMIP said:

Worth noting that Rose’s game improved astronomically after we signed Bell.

Our defence was quite poor when it was Rose and Higgins at the back.

3 hours ago, rb123! said:

Aberdeen have lost striker Marley Watkins for eight weeks with a hamstring injury, hmmm hope they don't get another injury or they might recall Anderson

VVVV Itzdrk knows. 😉

3 hours ago, itzdrk said:

They can't recall him until January 1st, will be grand. 

Technically they can recall any loan any time they like but it would be absolutely pointless as they wouldn't be allowed to play him in their first team.

4 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

And if Higgins was one thing it was on organiser.

I'm so confused.

I keep saying it but it's not the individuals it's the style of play and tactics which makes or breaks the guys at the back, and likewise those up top.

If people cast their minds back to Ayr last season, post Drinan signing, they'll think of a solid if uninspiring side who didn't concede many but who also didn't score many.

It's a given that if you play open attractive football that you're always likely to concede goals but the trick is to score more than you're conceding.

24 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I keep saying it but it's not the individuals it's the style of play and tactics which makes or breaks the guys at the back, and likewise those up top.

If people cast their minds back to Ayr last season, post Drinan signing, they'll think of a solid if uninspiring side who didn't concede many but who also didn't score many.

It's a given that if you play open attractive football that you're always likely to concede goals but the trick is to score more than you're conceding.

To an extent, however style of play had absolutely nothing to do with conceding those goals on Saturday. 

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

To an extent, however style of play had absolutely nothing to do with conceding those goals on Saturday. 

Had we taken all or most of our chances Morton would have been gone . I’m thinking of Anderson’s two chances in the first half . This Ayr team will hand out some doings this season but we are susceptible to getting suckered ! Three centre half’s is a close out option when the three centre half’s are all available. Worked against County in the cup win last season .

Could the club not sell tickets for future games just now?

Sell £20 tickets that get you into any future league game once restrictions are lifted.

With xmas coming up this could get some much needed income into the club just now?

18 hours ago, WATTOO said:

It's a good point - before the shutdown we had 3 clean sheets and 3 blanks in a run of 4 games (2-0 v Alloa, 0-0 with Dundee and Dundee Utd and 0-2 v Dundee).  All 4 had Bell and Roscoe at centre half and 3 had Muirhead in front of them.   Roscoe looks exposed the way we play just now but in that far more defensive and direct style he looked absolutely fine.  Wasnt great to watch though...       

The end of the Morton game reminded me of a second half v Ross County (3-3) a couple of seasons ago where we were woefully caught out with long balls that found their way in behind - was so obvious to everyone what was happening but we didnt seem able to stop it.  If I remember right McCall threw Highins or someone on to go 3 at the back in the end.

19 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Not necessarily disagreeing, Wattoo, but you also need to defend properly and at least 2 of Morton's goals were avoidable. I don't enjoy us conceding any goals obviously but I'd prefer to be just scoring more than the opposition if they manage to score while we're playing 'open attractive football'. But when we're 2 ahead with not long to go away from home, game mangement, even if it means row- Z-defending occasionally, has to be part of the tactical armoury.     

20 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

2 hours ago, Hursty said:

It's a good point - before the shutdown we had 3 clean sheets and 3 blanks in a run of 4 games (2-0 v Alloa, 0-0 with Dundee and Dundee Utd and 0-2 v Dundee).  All 4 had Bell and Roscoe at centre half and 3 had Muirhead in front of them.   Roscoe looks exposed the way we play just now but in that far more defensive and direct style he looked absolutely fine.  Wasnt great to watch though...       

The end of the Morton game reminded me of a second half v Ross County (3-3) a couple of seasons ago where we were woefully caught out with long balls that found their way in behind - was so obvious to everyone what was happening but we didnt seem able to stop it.  If I remember right McCall threw Highins or someone on to go 3 at the back in the end.

56 minutes ago, Jazzar said:

Not necessarily disagreeing, Wattoo, but you also need to defend properly and at least 2 of Morton's goals were avoidable. I don't enjoy us conceding any goals obviously but I'd prefer to be just scoring more than the opposition if they manage to score while we're playing 'open attractive football'. But when we're 2 ahead with not long to go away from home, game mangement, even if it means row- Z-defending occasionally, has to be part of the tactical armoury.     

Yes, you all have a point, irrespective of our style we just capitulated / lost the plot in the last 7 minutes on Saturday.

I'm not defending us here but these things do happen (Spurs v West Ham a couple of weeks ago as a quick example), I can't explain it but panic seems to set in and any ball thrown towards the box appears destined to go in the net.

Let's just hope it doesn't happen again, well, to us anyway !!