The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

20 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Oh dear....

Think our best CB pairing will be Muirhead alongside Baird so hopefully we line up like that after Muirhead suspension is over.

Sure that was his intention, Houston getting injured  forced the partnership change 

Think it’s safe to say Roscoe has blown his chance as first choice LCB .  Muirhead will obviously move in there and either Houston or Miller should take over at right back . 

We are definitely on our arse at the moment , injures, suspensions a plenty , means we can’t get a settled team out . It’ll be interesting to see what kind of reaction Kerr gets from the team on Saturday. 

1 hour ago, Robbo63 said:

Certainly never screwed up , Bell made it clear he could not commit to the demands of full time training this season he felt getting nearer home and going to a part time club was best for him  for personal and work outside of football  reasons , club done the right thing on a personal basis and allowed it to happen , 

Why was it necessary for him to commit to full time training?  If he was part time before I presume we were always willing to work round his work commitments the same way we were with Adams.  What changed over the Summer, particularly from the point he signed a contract that made it impossible for him to continue?  I appreciate the club may have done the right thing as you put it, but how hard did the club try to find a short term compromise?  Perhaps we could have asked him to give us 3 months until January when we might pick up a legitimate replacement?  Maybe Kerr didn’t screw up but maybe he put too much faith in the other options he had and decided it wasn’t worth going the extra mile for Bell.  Maybe all parties were just a victim of circumstance but it’s left us with a real problem as the defence looked ropey even before yesterday’s shambles.

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

Major overreaction to yesterday's result for me, in fact I was far more encouraged by what I witnessed yesterday than what I witnessed in our 2-1 victory over QOS, Yes, there's no doubt the final 7 minutes was a disaster and a kick in the teeth but that's football, these things happen.

Does anyone remember a certain match at Cappielow a few years back when Ayr were 3-1 down with just under 10 mins to go ?? 4-3 to the super it ended up if I'm not mistaken !!

The problem nowadays is that we're all pundits and pull apart every goal from a hundred angles and then play the blame game as if we're Gary Neville, the bottom line is that these things happen, mistakes are made and that's life, being honest it would be bloody boring otherwise.

So, let's dust ourselves down, stop feeling sorry for ourselves and look forward to going again against Dunfermline next week.

Fair commentary that and I was very happy for about 85 minutes yesterday (aside from Aero's sending off which was unnecessary). What I don't understand is Miller not getting a start - he's looked more than decent and could have been used to do a holding job once we went down to 10. Game management is something we need to learn, eleven or ten in black and white. 

10 minutes ago, Jazzar said:

Fair commentary that and I was very happy for about 85 minutes yesterday (aside from Aero's sending off which was unnecessary). What I don't understand is Miller not getting a start - he's looked more than decent and could have been used to do a holding job once we went down to 10. Game management is something we need to learn, eleven or ten in black and white. 

Yes, I'd also agree with that, I think he may have had a knock as has been one of our best players so far this season, so can't think why he'd be left out.

If only we could get Liam Smith back as I think he'd be the answer to about 80% of our problems.

The irony of course is that all those who are having a meltdown on here would have had us as league winners after about 82 mins yesterday but as they say, it's a funny old game....

40 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Why was it necessary for him to commit to full time training?  If he was part time before I presume we were always willing to work round his work commitments the same way we were with Adams.  What changed over the Summer, particularly from the point he signed a contract that made it impossible for him to continue?  I appreciate the club may have done the right thing as you put it, but how hard did the club try to find a short term compromise?  Perhaps we could have asked him to give us 3 months until January when we might pick up a legitimate replacement?  Maybe Kerr didn’t screw up but maybe he put too much faith in the other options he had and decided it wasn’t worth going the extra mile for Bell.  Maybe all parties were just a victim of circumstance but it’s left us with a real problem as the defence looked ropey even before yesterday’s shambles.

He attended every training session in previous years , this year he could not commit to that and as said above his current job outside football is more important to him ( Covid rules have a bigger effect on his job ) why would we keep hold of him when he clearly stated that he could not commit ( when he left the club said they did all they could to keep him and unfortunately had to let him go )  ? At the time Baird was an ideal replacement, it’s unfortunate that he has to play with our second choice due to Houston’s injury ( he was not injured before Bell left ) 

2 hours ago, WATTOO said:

The irony of course is that all those who are having a meltdown on here would have had us as league winners after about 82 mins yesterday but as they say, it's a funny old game....

You know you were making sense until about here. Then you've resorted to drivel.

Please quote the meltdowns on here thanks. I haven't read any and could do with cheering up.

14 hours ago, Trogdor said:

You know you were making sense until about here. Then you've resorted to drivel.

Please quote the meltdowns on here thanks. I haven't read any and could do with cheering up.

Plenty of reactive stuff on the match thread, been far more level headed on here than in most other quarters. 

18 hours ago, Robbo63 said:

He attended every training session in previous years , this year he could not commit to that and as said above his current job outside football is more important to him ( Covid rules have a bigger effect on his job ) why would we keep hold of him when he clearly stated that he could not commit ( when he left the club said they did all they could to keep him and unfortunately had to let him go )  ? At the time Baird was an ideal replacement, it’s unfortunate that he has to play with our second choice due to Houston’s injury ( he was not injured before Bell left ) 

Fair enough, but doesn’t explain what changed between him signing the contract and then deciding it was impossible to continue.  And to suggest Baird is a  direct replacement seems like a nonsense.  Comments from St Mirren and Morton fans have been pretty consistent in that he is a decent championship standard centre back who needs an organiser next to him.  
You can analyse what happened on Saturday to death but basically what I saw was an incredibly inexperienced defence falling apart because of a lack of experience and leadership. That said, Roscoe just isn’t up to it, so hopefully Muirhead isn’t out for long.  If Houston isn’t fit, Miller needs to go to right back.  Again, fans from other clubs have been pretty clear about Muirhead’s abilities as a right back, though no one seems to have told Kerr.

3 hours ago, Hawk89 said:

Plenty of reactive stuff on the match thread, been far more level headed on here than in most other quarters. 

Yeah, I was more having a go at the use of the word meltdown.

Its such an overused word and sensationalist in its nature now. Nuclear plants have meltdowns and its not good. Someone satiricaly calling for the managers head does not constitute a meltdown. Nor does all this nonsense click bait on Google such as "Nicola Sturgeon has meltdown" and you watch it and she just answers a journalist's question.  

Rant over.

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

Yeah, I was more having a go at the use of the word meltdown.

Its such an overused word and sensationalist in its nature now. Nuclear plants have meltdowns and its not good. Someone satiricaly calling for the managers head does not constitute a meltdown. Nor does all this nonsense click bait on Google such as "Nicola Sturgeon has meltdown" and you watch it and she just answers a journalist's question.  

Rant over.

Sounds like you're having a bit of a meltdown there yourself buddy.

*Extremely Mark Corrigan Voice*
'Christ!'
Muirhead is actually a pretty consistent and reliable player. Puts in decent performances and is rarely injured. You can also rely on him though to go through a few players during the season and pick up two or three red cards.

Highlights available on Ton TV YouTube. We seemed SO deep in that last period with no outlet whatsoever, not even pressing in our own half just defending the penalty box, seems mental given our attack biased squad - defend from the front?

1 hour ago, bazka6 said:

Highlights available on Ton TV YouTube. We seemed SO deep in that last period with no outlet whatsoever, not even pressing in our own half just defending the penalty box, seems mental given our attack biased squad - defend from the front?

From watching them again for a 5 or 6th time now, the tackle Muirhead puts in is reckless and deserving of the red for sure. However, with some of the comments over the past couple of days you'd think he was a frothing lunatic prior to that point in the match. In actual fact he's clearly just lost concentration and made a total arse of it. Fwiw, he was actually have a good game at RB up till that point, I don't think he's done alot wrong at RB either in our opening fixtures. That being said I would rather he was in the middle with Baird.

He is the type of player you get at this level, definitely capable but carries a "but" when being described. In this case he implodes 2 or 3 times in a season, but the rest of the time puts in a solid shift. If he didn't have the temperament issues he'd be playing at the level above for a lower half Premiership team. 

Edited by Hawk89

1 hour ago, Hawk89 said:

From watching them again for a 5 or 6th time now, the tackle Muirhead puts in is reckless and deserving of the red for sure. However, with some of the comments over the past couple of days you'd think he was a frothing lunatic prior to that point in the match. In actual fact he's clearly just lost concentration and made a total arse of it. Fwiw, he was actually have a good game at RB up till that point, I don't think he's done alot wrong at RB either in our opening fixtures. That being said I would rather he was in the middle with Baird.

He is the type of player you get at this level, definitely capable but carries a "but" when being described. In this case he implodes 2 or 3 times in a season, but the rest of the time puts in a solid shift. If he didn't have the temperament issues he'd be playing at the level above for a lower half Premiership team. 

I only saw the highlights but i dont think it is any worse than Readings tackle v QOS that he only got a yellow for. Infact, it actually looks like Murdoch gets a touch on the ball just as Muirhead comes across which pushes the ball past him - if there wasn't that touch Muirhead wins the ball and probably misses the player.