The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I think Baird has been pretty good since he came in but I can see why Morton fans said he needs an experienced centre half next to him. We won’t be signing one of those so it’s going to be him and Muirhead until at least January.

So a centre half and potentially a whole new attacking line as well. In January

.patrick stewart cheers GIF by Blunt Talk

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

I think Baird has been pretty good since he came in but I can see why Morton fans said he needs an experienced centre half next to him. We won’t be signing one of those so it’s going to be him and Muirhead until at least January.

I think Baird has been good. I just don't think he's a leader or can organise the defense. He's also looked better because Roscoe has been so poor alongside him imo.

The 2nd goal doesn't happen with an experienced head in there who calms the younger guys down. Its all about keeping it simple, no unnecessary risk and clearing your lines. What Reading was even thinking with that header I'll never know. 😳

The defense (including the goalie) that finished the game was very young including the keeper the average age must be 21 or thereabouts.

In fact the less I talk about it the better. I'll be frothing at the mouth soon.

7 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I know Kerr has hinted we’ve finished our business but It’s clear we still need another centre back. Roscoe isn’t good enough for this level and Muirhead is a decent option but is a complete head case. 

20 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I know Kerr has hinted we’ve finished our business but It’s clear we still need another centre back. Roscoe isn’t good enough for this level and Muirhead is a decent option but is a complete head case. 

I don't agree with that at all, I wouldn't say he's one of the best defenders in the league but he's pretty much your average Championship centre half.  

27 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

That seems to be a pretty consistent view of Baird.  You could say the same about Michael Rose - he came on leaps and bounds with Bell next to him.  Unfortunately we can either team Baird up with Bambi or the wild man of Somerset.  Speaking of Bell, I still don’t get why he had to leave given he’s still playing football - we worked round his work commitments before so not clear what really changed.  I accept he might not have been a long term option, but with him next to Baird,  I guarantee we wouldn’t have lost 3 goals in 5 minutes to a team that had barely mustered a shot at goal in the previous 80 minutes.

30 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I'm still mad!

angry parks and rec GIF

Ach, I'd have been very very mad if fans had been allowed to go to that, instead I had a wee sulk while the Edinburgh derby was on then I was over it.

Hopefully see a reaction against Dunfermline. 

7 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

I don't agree with that at all, I wouldn't say he's one of the best defenders in the league but he's pretty much your average Championship centre half.  

I thought he was ok anytime he was called upon last season but has looked poor so far this season. Hopefully it’s just a case of him getting up to speed after not playing for so long.

BTW, just for the avoidance of doubt I wasn’t been entirely serious about the Kerr been sacked yet post last night. It was more tongue in cheek regarding the zoomers on the Somerset road end. Thanks for the reddies though 🤫 

On the Stevie Bell leaving meaning a replacement should have been sought.....

To be fair to Mark Kerr, Bell only left a few weeks before the start of the season which meant most business had been done in regards to defenders being signed up by clubs. The only guys available to Kerr at the time would have been journeymen duds at the end of their career or young kids on loan who aren't going to bring that experienced head figure.

It'll also be unlikely to sign a player in the experienced calibre in January either unless there's a mutual termination of the contract between player and club due to a lack of play time. So i reckon it'll be unlikely we'll be able to get a Bell replacement in until next summer.

In the meantime get Corrie Ndaba on board in January, he's a highly rated guy and we obviously have links after trying to get him last January. Could do a lot worse than him IMO.

*Paul Lambert on Ndaba - Yes. I think he’s done great Corrie, I really do, but he’s bypassed Under-23s football now, I think he needs to get out there and play men’s football. That will bring him on. Hopefully we can get him a club that fits him and vice versa.”

Edited by rb123!

57 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Ach, I'd have been very very mad if fans had been allowed to go to that, instead I had a wee sulk while the Edinburgh derby was on then I was over it.

Hopefully see a reaction against Dunfermline. 

I'll be fine by tomorrow. Its the manner of it that really irks me. Had we lost 3 - 1 with Morton scoring 3 when we were down to 10 men it would have been easier for me to take.

Its probably better for the team that there are no fans just now as Somerset would be on edge with defending like that and with a few donkeys screaming at the young guys it would probably make them even worse.

Hopefully they learn from it and channel it as motivation so it doesn't happen again.

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I never take any of your posts seriously in any case. 😆

17 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I'll be fine by tomorrow. Its the manner of it that really irks me. Had we lost 3 - 1 with Morton scoring 3 when we were down to 10 men it would have been easier for me to take.

Its probably better for the team that there are no fans just now as Somerset would be on edge with defending like that and with a few donkeys screaming at the young guys it would probably make them even worse.

Hopefully they learn from it and channel it as motivation so it doesn't happen again.

I never take any of your posts seriously in any case. 😆

I'm sure I'll have a great laugh picking it apart 😄

54 minutes ago, rb123! said:

To be fair to Mark Kerr, Bell only left a few weeks before the start of the season which meant most business had been done in regards to defenders being signed up by clubs. The only guys available to Kerr at the time would have been journeymen duds at the end of their career or young kids on loan who aren't going to bring that experienced head figure.

It'll also be unlikely to sign a player in the experienced calibre in January either unless there's a mutual termination of the contract between player and club due to a lack of play time. So i reckon it'll be unlikely we'll be able to get a Bell replacement in until next summer.

In the meantime get Corrie Ndaba on board in January, he's a highly rated guy and we obviously have links after trying to get him last January. Could do a lot worse than him IMO.

*Paul Lambert on Ndaba - Yes. I think he’s done great Corrie, I really do, but he’s bypassed Under-23s football now, I think he needs to get out there and play men’s football. That will bring him on. Hopefully we can get him a club that fits him and vice versa.”

I think all of that is true, but it only reenforces why it was in our interests to find a compromise with Bell.  He was always part time with us as I understand it and only signed a contract 6 weeks or so before it was decided (mutually, apparently), that it was impossible for him to continue.  Maybe Kerr just screwed up and didn’t recognise how inexperienced our defence would be without him.

I think all of that is true, but it only reenforces why it was in our interests to find a compromise with Bell.  He was always part time with us as I understand it and only signed a contract 6 weeks or so before it was decided (mutually, apparently), that it was impossible for him to continue.  Maybe Kerr just screwed up and didn’t recognise how inexperienced our defence would be without him.

I don’t think there was much we could do. Bell felt he couldn’t commit to his contract with us and had made his mind up he wanted away. From what I’ve heard it’s not the first time he’s had doubts about whether or not he was able to keep playing for us but I think with the current circumstances with COVID he finally had to put his job outside of football first.

However I do agree that we are missing an experienced head in defence and Kerr would do well to bring someone like that in. I’m not sure theres many players like that out there right now.

People on here have been justifying Muirhead at right back cover when he’s clearly not and is a bomb waiting to go off and surely now Kerr will realise Why have I given him a two year contract because there’s more of that to come. When we signed him Falkirk fans were clear he’s a nutter and don’t ever play him at right back, if weve only got youngsters to cover then so be it but stop playing Muirhead in positions he can’t play, and get him in to centre back and Roscoe to the bench where he should be.

When You look at the bench yesterday Kerr clearly hasn’t Got any depth and we've clearly signed players who are made of glass and will be nothing but a problem.

2 minutes ago, Lochwood said:

People on here have been justifying Muirhead at right back cover when he’s clearly not and is a bomb waiting to go off and surely now Kerr will realise Why have I given him a two year contract because there’s more of that to come. When we signed him Falkirk fans were clear he’s a nutter and don’t ever play him at right back, if weve only got youngsters to cover then so be it but stop playing Muirhead in positions he can’t play, and get him in to centre back and Roscoe to the bench where he should be.

When You look at the bench yesterday Kerr clearly hasn’t Got any depth and we've clearly signed players who are made of glass and will be nothing but a problem.

I don't think Muirhead is any great organiser either, but out of the two the best option at CB.

3 hours ago, rb123! said:

Baird was signed to replace Bell 

2 hours ago, HMIP said:

Certainly never screwed up , Bell made it clear he could not commit to the demands of full time training this season he felt getting nearer home and going to a part time club was best for him  for personal and work outside of football  reasons , club done the right thing on a personal basis and allowed it to happen , 

Edited by Robbo63

Major overreaction to yesterday's result for me, in fact I was far more encouraged by what I witnessed yesterday than what I witnessed in our 2-1 victory over QOS, Yes, there's no doubt the final 7 minutes was a disaster and a kick in the teeth but that's football, these things happen.

Does anyone remember a certain match at Cappielow a few years back when Ayr were 3-1 down with just under 10 mins to go ?? 4-3 to the super it ended up if I'm not mistaken !!

The problem nowadays is that we're all pundits and pull apart every goal from a hundred angles and then play the blame game as if we're Gary Neville, the bottom line is that these things happen, mistakes are made and that's life, being honest it would be bloody boring otherwise.

So, let's dust ourselves down, stop feeling sorry for ourselves and look forward to going again against Dunfermline next week.