The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 minutes ago, RedEd said:

Ok, I'll be the pedant. Junior football no longer exists in the West of Scotland. The former junior clubs are now tier 6 and 7 seniors.

Yes 

I'm aware of that and yes you are being pedantic but I'm sure you share my thoughts😊

2 hours ago, rb123! said:
3 hours ago, Robbo63 said:
On paper that’s a very competent starting 11 
I think any signings coming in before January will be players who are capable of playing in defence and midfield , 
Budget must be almost spent now looking at the signings so far , a number of very decent ex pros and top level juniors now available due to some big teams pulling out leagues this season , is there maybe someone we can get from there to cover the bench and be capable of changing a game 

Are you hinting that we're signing someone free the juniors?

No , just seeing what some people reactions would be , but still think there are some real decent  guys out there who could do a short term job for us , at a very low cost 

14 minutes ago, conley said:

You are sounding like a big time Charlie elitist with your comments..it would be remiss of management not to keep an eye on the juniors..a couple of examples why...Michael  Moffat...Ross Stewart (currently getting good reviews with his displays at Ross County) played with Ardeer and Kilwinning Rangers for three years before going into the professional ranks..I'm sure there are others.

Chris Erskine, Jamie Longworth and Josh Mullin all played for Ladeside not so long ago.

41 minutes ago, conley said:

You are sounding like a big time Charlie elitist with your comments..it would be remiss of management not to keep an eye on the juniors..a couple of examples why...Michael  Moffat...Ross Stewart (currently getting good reviews with his displays at Ross County) played with Ardeer and Kilwinning Rangers for three years before going into the professional ranks..I'm sure there are others.

You have to remember though in the 00s we watched numerous jobbers appear from the Juniors. Yes you've named some great examples of where it goes well but, there is nothing elitist about going on past experience. For every Moffat there is a squad of has beens and never weres. 

32 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

Not that I know of, it's a young player. I guess some would have been accused him of scoring an OG against Stirling Albion in pre season on purpose. 

I was just guessing him as Troon seems to be stanch Killie apart from @itzdrk of course. 

1 hour ago, Hursty said:

A pretty positive week I'd say.  Next challenge is to go up to Inverness and actually give them a game rather than sit back and wait for the inevitable 1 or 2 -0 defeat that we seem to love against them.   If we can do that then maybe I'll start believing haha. 

We're missing half of our first team. If you don't beat us I will be shocked.

Don’t see a problem signing a loan player from Kilmarnock, but it’s a sad day when we can’t have a laugh and a bit of banter about it.  If it’s anything nastier than that, I haven’t really seen it on these pages.  

7 minutes ago, RiG said:

I know - the players you lost in summer/ injuries etc suggest it's a game we should be winning.    However it's still Inverness v Ayr so forgive me for not being particularly confident haha.   

Well well well that was the controversial signing which some predicted. I don't care where he comes from as long as he comes in and performs well and gives 100% that's all I ask. Only to January may leave the door open for Drinan returning in January too.

Bit disappointed that's the business done as I feel we're short at the back so fingers crossed we have some luck back there for the next two months until January.

COME ON YOU HONEST MEN!

I may have missed this elsewhere but I logged in to the SPFL streaming website for the first time today and the full QOTS game is uploaded to watch. This is the system ICT are using. 

On Cameron signing, I am yet to be convinced that this will be a good signing, I feel we have moved on a level from signing unproven youth players that are not even on the fringes of the first team at their parent clubs. Like Steven Reynolds or even Kevin Nesbit.  Anderson has the ability to play premier league football and would if he played for, say Livingston or St Mirren, but isn't getting much of a chance at Aberdeen other than a few late sub appearances. Smith is older and out of contract soon so could have been loaned with a view to him signing in the future. 

Cameron had a very good season for an 18 year old when he played at Stranraer but has not been near the Kilmarnock first team. injury withstanding. Nor any of the Scotland youth setup. There will be the opposite  situation with Smith, if Cameron does well, he'll most likely be off at Christmas. 

Am I more critical because he is from Kilmarnock?  probably. But I wasn't keen on us signing Tiffoney last season and he was guff. We had Murphy, McCowan, McKenzie and McGuffie in the team, who were all ours but were sidelined or loanded/free'd to accommodate him. 

39 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

You have to remember though in the 00s we watched numerous jobbers appear from the Juniors. Yes you've named some great examples of where it goes well but, there is nothing elitist about going on past experience. For every Moffat there is a squad of has beens and never weres. 

The guys in the juniors who are a "cut above" generally stand out and it's no surprise to see them make the step up with ease. The juniors is a mix of ex pros wanting a wee pay day before they retire, young players making their way who've been overlooked or released by professional clubs, amateur players making a step up who've never been picked up and guys who have work commitments that preclude them from turning full time but are picking up similar if not better part time money than they would at a club in Scottish League 1 or 2.

There's no doubt it's a gamble signing some of these guys but then so are most signings whether it's a loan from the old firm /English Premiership / Championship or a prolific striker with a great touch from Girvan.

2 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I may have missed this elsewhere but I logged in to the SPFL streaming website for the first time today and the full QOTS game is uploaded to watch. This is the system ICT are using. 

On Cameron signing, I am yet to be convinced that this will be a good signing, I feel we have moved on a level from signing unproven youth players that are not even on the fringes of the first team at their parent clubs. Like Steven Reynolds or even Kevin Nesbit.  Anderson has the ability to play premier league football and would if he played for, say Livingston or St Mirren, but isn't getting much of a chance at Aberdeen other than a few late sub appearances. Smith is older and out of contract soon so could have been loaned with a view to him signing in the future. 

Cameron had a very good season for an 18 year old when he played at Stranraer but has not been near the Kilmarnock first team. injury withstanding. Nor any of the Scotland youth setup. There will be the opposite  situation with Smith, if Cameron does well, he'll most likely be off at Christmas. 

Am I more critical because he is from Kilmarnock?  probably. But I wasn't keen on us signing Tiffoney last season and he was guff. We had Murphy, McCowan, McKenzie and McGuffie in the team, who were all ours but were sidelined or loanded/free'd to accommodate him. 

The same Tiffoney that has been starting every week for Livingston and doing well? 

Stephen Kelly was an unproven youth player and I’m not sure Scotland youth caps bears any relevance considering you basically get one if at a big club. 

34 minutes ago, RiG said:

Memories of 7-3 and 4-3 defeats up there, means nothing shocks me where Inverness v Ayr is concerned !!

3 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I wonder if Innes is only till January as Kerr wanted a certain type of striker and Innes was well down the list of targets, so its short term to get the type of player he wanted, but is hoping to have an improvement (Drinnan?) available in January?

5 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Memories of 7-3 and 4-3 defeats up there, means nothing shocks me where Inverness v Ayr is concerned !!

The rather excellent Football Archives found the Scotsport highlights of those games (and others):