The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Plus he had his own comic strip in one of the fanzines. I think I saw an Ayr player give him the fingers at the end of one home game after some abuse, then watched him walking away with a satisfied grin on his face. 

Even my nine or ten year old self thought that was nugget behaviour. 

5 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

This might be a controversial opinion, but I don’t think Mark Roberts is the worst manager we’ve had since the millennium. Neil Watt, the two Rabs and Mark Shanks were on a par or even worse than Roberts imo

Will slightly Agree with Neil Watt as he is total piss and is certainly up there amongst the 'Somerset Manager Dregs'

Both the two Rabs and Mark Shanks were working under financial difficulty, though signing Andy Mclaren was questionable, Would Snodgrass have been the better option? Who knows? 😊

Mark Roberts was total piss, yeah, since the millennium though 🤔... 

Despite the fact he took Ayr to a Final and had fantastic cup runs, I'd say Gordon Dalziel was the worst Manager since the start of the millennium imo, did better before 2000 imo. Threw money at players. I'm not necessarily saying they were bad players, just could have done better for the amounts of money spent, should really have won the league (taking into account the stadium wasn't accepted by the then SPL.) Was there not a rumour that once Airdrieonians had disintegrated into nothingness, that there was a possibility of Bill Barr bringing their stadium to Ayr??? 🤔🤔 (I was 11 and was legitimately believable 🙄

My Papa always joked that if Ayr won the final, they'd have enough money to buy Torre Andre Flo. It was that bad that with the money being thrown about, it was actually believable.😂

Campbell Money, although looks piss on paper, certainly had a job to do after Dalziel left, as well as Bill Barrs interest it seems 🙄

The one voice I remember from the Enclosure from when I first started going (1991 or so)  was someone who always used to shout "COME ON UNI-TED" with what seemed like quite a gap where the dash is.   Must have been some voice as it's one of the main things that stands out in my memory as a wee guy aged 6 or 7 on the North Terracing haha.   That and going down a gravel hill where the Hospitality suite is now to pee in a big concrete trough 

36 minutes ago, Mod1967 said:

Campbell Money was an imposter his treatment of player's especially younger player's was dreadful he relegated a team with some right decent player's. 

The only saving grace he had was bringing Stevo to the club. 

The one voice I remember from the Enclosure from when I first started going (1991 or so)  was someone who always used to shout "COME ON UNI-TED" with what seemed like quite a gap where the dash is.   Must have been some voice as it's one of the main things that stands out in my memory as a wee guy aged 6 or 7 on the North Terracing haha.   That and going down a gravel hill where the Hospitality suite is now to pee in a big concrete trough 
Me too! My dad use me to take me to Monday night reserve matches, he was definitely in the stand at those games too.

Guy with the big voice was a wee heavy guy who sat in the stand, don’t think he comes as much now, what a booming voice.

the other serial player abuser was definitely George he and another guy handed out some abuse to players nd managers over the years, last I heard they were both hounded out to the Somerset road end because of this by the fans in the enclosure. I don’t think either still go to the game no loss.

On 18/10/2020 at 03:41, No_Problemo said:

I think some of the comments on the commentary are unfair. People get slaughtered for being too boring, he at least tries to add a bit of excitement - possibly a bit too much at times but so what. Providing commentary of an entire football match isn’t exactly an easy gig but think it’s been pretty good for the most part.

On 18/10/2020 at 04:00, Trogdor said:

Broadly I agree its not an easy gig.

It isn't to begin with, but when you've been doing it as long then it should become much easier and you're quite entitled to be biased if you're working for a club, sounds like he may be going too far the other way...

I've done amateur radio commentary for years...regular listeners of hospital radio or the visually impaired setup at Somerset will know my voice and other than messing up a name here and there (which no-one on radio knows anyway) i always found the hardest bit was tracking the halftime subs as they don't seem to do the rigmarole of holding up the board and checking their studs when they emerge from the tunnel.

i regularly spoke to a couple of the visually impaired gents in the stand when i met them in the pub, its interesting to hear about a game from their perspective, it takes on a whole new meaning when you can't physically see the field of play so describing the positions is paramount.

I always welcomed constructive feedback and defo learned tonnes of tips since my first stint on the mic in 1998 so perhaps some real world views could be beneficial to him and help his commentary become better. Doing audio only is a major difference to live picture commentary.

Speaking from the "away"  fans side,  I think both the commentaries from the Morton and Ayr games were very good.  Probably biased slightly to the home side which is understandable but not to the extent of making me want to kick my screen in. The male Ayr commentator did get a bit excited at not very much but I'd probably be the same as a fan commentating on my own team. Considering comments made about some Clubs commentators it was refreshing that the coverage from the games I've seen up to now have been reasonably balanced. One slight niggle,  which is possibly more to do with the size of screen I was watching on, the graphic with the team line-ups on the Ayr stream were very small/unclear.  I'll certainly purchase the next stream when we play at Ayr though (if we're still not allowed to attend) 

21 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Someone has mentioned on the SRE FB page about a #imminent.

Not sure if he's ITK or just hoping

Would be expecting something to happen this week , rumoured to be some new faces appeared  at training end of last week