The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

This might be a controversial opinion, but I don’t think Mark Roberts is the worst manager we’ve had since the millennium. Neil Watt, the two Rabs and Mark Shanks were on a par or even worse than Roberts imo

The two Rabs basically had to create a team out of junior players, miles better than Roberts. In hindsight stopping us being relegated was probably an achievement. 

3 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

The two Rabs basically had to create a team out of junior players, miles better than Roberts. In hindsight stopping us being relegated was probably an achievement. 

Aye they were stuck signing second rate juniors on £50 or so a week - couldnt even afford the better players from that level!  

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

This might be a controversial opinion, but I don’t think Mark Roberts is the worst manager we’ve had since the millennium. Neil Watt, the two Rabs and Mark Shanks were on a par or even worse than Roberts imo

I have a mate who is a Talbot fan, and he used to laugh at the players we signed from the juniors when Shanks and the two Rabs were in charge. He said that they weren't even good junior players.

Neil Watt was the most disappointing appointment definitely - given that he actually had done very well at Stranraer. He signed all his pals from Stranraer for a jolly old reunion and they didn't bother actually trying.

I'd also stick my neck out and say Campbell Money was worse than Roberts. 

Roberts is a decent guy and was a great player for us. However, he should have never been appointed manager. 

I’m sure the general consensus at the time was that Roberts was an alright appointment as he was always an intelligent player. I definitely don’t remember much ire towards Cameron when it was announced anyway.

It’s much easier in hindsight to say it was an awful appointment from the beginning.

40 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Aye, I'd like to have witnessed a McCall team with the 2 Rabs budget, I slaughtered them regularly but their budget was laughable in comparison. 

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

Neil Watt was the most disappointing appointment definitely - given that he actually had done very well at Stranraer. He signed all his pals from Stranraer for a jolly old reunion and they didn't bother actually trying.

I could be wrong here but when Watt resigned we were still higher placed than when Roberts got sacked?

He was a disappointing appointment but at least he walked when it clearly wasn't working. He does have a pretty good job outwith football so probably not a tough decision for him to make but he gets plus points from me for that.

48 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I’m sure the general consensus at the time was that Roberts was an alright appointment as he was always an intelligent player. I definitely don’t remember much ire towards Cameron when it was announced anyway.

It’s much easier in hindsight to say it was an awful appointment from the beginning.

Thats not my recollection, If I recall I think the support was split pretty evenly on whether it was a good appointment or not. A number of us believed it was the cheap option again.

12 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I could be wrong here but when Watt resigned we were still higher placed than when Roberts got sacked?

He was a disappointing appointment but at least he walked when it clearly wasn't working. He does have a pretty good job outwith football so probably not a tough decision for him to make but he gets plus points from me for that.

Apparently he is a multimillionaire as a result of his business endeavours outside of football. I think I remember reading that he owned a construction business.

But yeah, at least he walked when it wasn't working. Plenty of other managers clung on way past the point when it was obvious that it wasn't going to work.

48 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Apparently he is a multimillionaire as a result of his business endeavours outside of football. I think I remember reading that he owned a construction business.

But yeah, at least he walked when it wasn't working. Plenty of other managers clung on way past the point when it was obvious that it wasn't going to work.

He runs a property management business (not construction) and he's certainly wealthy. Not sure about "multi millionaire" but I'm sure he paid for the Stranraer team to go abroad when they won promotion.

Neil Watt - Hacking and Paterson

20 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He runs a property management business (not construction) and he's certainly wealthy. Not sure about "multi millionaire" but I'm sure he paid for the Stranraer team to go abroad when they won promotion.

Are you a Marillion fan? I was wondering because of your username.

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

Are you a Marillion fan? I was wondering because of your username.

Yes.

And well done on being one of the very few to understand where the user name comes from. If I had a pound for everyone who assumes it's something to do with either the Skyline Hotel in Dumfries (which has been closed for about 30 years) or some Japanese supercar, I'd be well a lot wealthier than I am!).

Edited by Skyline Drifter

49 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yeah they cut our grass once a week for £65 a month, seems to be about all they do. 

My mate, not a supporter, was convinced we were a stick on for the league under Neil Watt. He stuck quite a bit of cash on us at 7/1. He came to a game around October with me, we lost at home to Peterhead. Think he knew his bet was gubbed walking out that day.

I worked last year with a guy who is pals with Neil Watt - apparently he 100% blames the Ayr fans.  I was told a story that after about 10 mins of Watt's first friendly in charge at Somerset someone shouted at him from behind the dugout something along the lines of "we don't f*****g want you here Watt and we will see you don't last".        Seems a tad far fetched to me even for the regulars in the enclosure back then haha

38 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

Yeah they cut our grass once a week for £65 a month, seems to be about all they do. 

I think we pay them £120 a year for cutting the grass and some electricity as we've got some lamps not maintained by the Council. I've found them fine since we moved here. 

However, I think its significantly worse than that in some of the city centre flats where they cover insurance and what not. One of my former colleagues who stayed in Finnieston managed to boot them out as factor of their building. It wasn't an easy process though and they fought it all the way.

That'll have been "Enclosure George" who abused every Ayr manager. I remember him shouting "Get away from here, Wells" at Davie Wells back in the day. I was a lot younger but didn't understand even then the mentality of a so-called Ayr fan. Loon, more like, rather than a fan.

Sorry,  wrong quote - to do with the guy who abused Watt

Edited by Jazzar

The two Rabs were good honest lads doing there best to get a team with a very poor budget, one story which one of them talks about signing A young Robert Snodgrass Who wanted another 50 quid a week to sign and the board rejected it and he went elsewhere, that summed up the ambition at that time.

That'll have been "Enclosure George" who abused every Ayr manager. I remember him shouting "Get away from here, Wells" at Davie Wells back in the day. I was a lot younger but didn't understand even then the mentality of a so-called Ayr fan. Loon, more like, rather than a fan.

Does George still attend games? I used to go to the enclosure through the 1980’s, he was quite a character

2 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Does George still attend games? I used to go to the enclosure through the 1980’s, he was quite a character

Don't know but thought he was a nutter rather than a character and of course he had a voice that could be heard in the stand never mind the enclosure 🙁