The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

12 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

I’m not sure that I agree that top 4 this season is meh. I think a top 4 spot this season would be a tremendous effort.

Tend to agree with you  in that , Hearts  will be unstoppable, Dundee have strengthened , Dunfermline look like they will be pretty decent this season , Inverness are always there or there abouts , to get in the mix with them will mean we have competed reasonably well, 

The jury is still very much out for Mark Kerr. We were flying when McCall left and their was a definite regression when Kerr took over. Had last season been played to a finish I’m not convinced we would of made the playoffs. 

However a clean slate has been given to him and there is no doubt his signings this summer have been on paper very impressive. We’re obviously still light in numbers but I’d say we have a better squad of players this season than last season. Hopefully we can get another 2 or 3 signed in the next week or so. If that happens then playoffs has to be the minimum requirement. 

47 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

I’m not sure that I agree that top 4 this season is meh. I think a top 4 spot this season would be a tremendous effort.

It has happened the last two seasons, for it to happen again wouldn't be a bad thing when you consider the rebuild but it isn't moving forward, thats what I meant. Not a failure but not necessarily a big success. 

Also agree with alot of how far we've come stuff above. From my perspective we are probably expected to finish in P4-6 this season. I would be content with P5 if it goes to the wire given the relative difference in perceived club stature and resource with Hearts, Dunfermline, Dundee and Inverness. P4 would be a decent season anything above I'd be delighted with. Hopefully after getting the monkey off our back against Inverness last season they are done as our bogey team, just away to Palmerston to worry about. 

With it being a shorter season it is going to be about what teams adapt best to running smaller squads and potential covid impacts such as players being sidelined for a couple of weeks at short notice. If we don't get anyone in over the next 2 weeks to bolster the squad it will be a little worrying, but as a 1st XI we shouldn't be afraid to compete with anyone in this league. Hearts are the obvious exception but I'm confident we'll take something off them in one of the three games. 

13 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

One league game played and the season already feels like a grind. Would be delighted with 4th but think it's  out of reach atm purely due to the squad size.

Kerr did say he was looking to bring players in. We've got till the 31st for loans, so plenty of time yet. We've been a bit unfortunately with the timing of U21s games and injuries so far. 

Just now, Hawk89 said:

Kerr did say he was looking to bring players in. We've got till the 31st for loans, so plenty of time yet. We've been a bit unfortunately with the timing of U21s games and injuries so far. 

I suspect our current injury situation will be a running theme throughout the season.

15 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

One league game played and the season already feels like a grind. Would be delighted with 4th but think it's  out of reach atm purely due to the squad size.

Out with Hearts and Dundee is our squad much any smaller than the rest of the clubs in our league? I genuinely have no idea but if we can get a couple of players in this week like yourself I’d be delighted with 4th place this year. 

7 minutes ago, ecocme said:

Out with Hearts and Dundee is our squad much any smaller than the rest of the clubs in our league? I genuinely have no idea but if we can get a couple of players in this week like yourself I’d be delighted with 4th place this year. 

Probably Dunfermline too, and maybe Morton who seem to have an unusually large amount of attacking players. Not sure exactly but I suppose everyone else is in the same boat, could come down to whoever gets that extra little bit of luck,

I actually think that if some of our injured players come back that we've got a capable first 11 to challenge the top 2. 

However, we're at least 3 players light for me and Mark Kerr knows this. I'm pretty disappointed that this hasn't been rectified to be honest. I've got no doubt that Kerr knows what positions that we need to strengthen at.

39 minutes ago, ecocme said:

I've been watching Ayr too long to take anything for granted and as I've said consistently, I'm just happy that we're back in the second tier as an established side who are competitive week in week out, anything else is really a bonus as far as I'm concerned, especially with our turnover of playing staff and constant rebuilding jobs.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not showing a lack of ambition or pessimism but merely taking a pragmatic view on where we stand from a financial perspective in relation to our peers. Remember,  we've got clubs such as Hearts, Dundee & Dunfermline who've all got Premier league setups from their squad sizes to their stadium to their support and then we've got the likes of Inverness who despite some recent financial issues are still a solid top 5 proposition with recent top league experience.

That probably puts us along with Morton, QOS and Raith in a similar playing field and then the two part time clubs in Alloa and Arbroath potentially below us, however the beauty of this game is that things don't always pan out from a perspective of financial clout as I'm sure any Partick Thistle or Falkirk fan will tell you, so any of us can punch above our weight with the right signings, the right style of play and confidence which is gained from putting a run together and I believe that's exactly what we've done in the past couple of years, so who says we can't do it again ??

Ultimately though, the main thing for me is consolidation and progression and that's exactly what we seem to be doing, off the field we're improving and upgrading infrastructure such as the stadium, media services and club shop and of course we're building a social club and on the field we're now offering extended contracts to our players which will hopefully give us some stability or alternatively rake us in a decent transfer fee. 

Nothing will change overnight but the club in general is now on an upward curve and going from strength to strength, that can only improve our support and fan base and again I believe our board should be congratulated, especially in these uncertain times.

Whatever happens over the next few matches, I honestly believe that the future is bright for all us Ayr United fans.

1 hour ago, Hawk89 said:

I would think we will have 2 players soon , listening to Kerr’s interview it looks like he is suggesting only Walsh will be missing on Saturday , said Zanatta was given a rest to ensure he did not miss 2/3 games , Anderson was jaded due to all that has happened in last week , with training , moving home and being away with Scotland abroad 

Edited by Robbo63

32 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

I would think we will have 2 players soon , listening to Kerr’s interview it looks like he is suggesting only Walsh will be missing on Saturday , said Zanatta was given a rest to ensure he did not miss 2/3 games , Anderson was jaded due to all that has happened in last week , with training , moving home and being away with Scotland abroad 

Will McCowan be suspended too?

1 minute ago, Pick that one out Marshall said:

Cheers

I think the only time there is a delay to a suspension kicking in is when you accumulate 6 yellow cards. Then the suspension takes effect 2 weeks after you've hit the 6 card threshold.