The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

13 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Broadly I agree its not an easy gig. However, I ended up muting it for a couple of reasons:

He needs to calm down he gets so overexcited when the opposition are coming forward. Whereas the summariser is calmness personified. He needs to take a lesson from her as it makes it a pained experience. It ended up puting me even more on edge.

Every long ball from Queens was a 'great ball' in spite half of them being gobbled up by Baird and Roscoe.

Dobbie hit a 'great shot' which he totally fluffed.

Point 2 & 3 I can live with but the melodrama when the opposition attack is a bit much.

I feel like he’s trying far too hard not to appear biased. Everything Queens did was excellent and every time Ayr made a tackle it was awful it seemed.

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

I think some of the comments on the commentary are unfair. People get slaughtered for being too boring, he at least tries to add a bit of excitement - possibly a bit too much at times but so what. Providing commentary of an entire football match isn’t exactly an easy gig but think it’s been pretty good for the most part, considering. 

I don't think there's anything wrong with the commentary, glad it's someone who adds a bit of passion and excitement to the game and makes you move towards the edge of your seat at times just like being at the games. 

Ten times better than the 2 rather dull commentators on the Hamilton stream

Biggest takeaway for me yesterday was Joe Chalmers everything good we did came from him, looks like he will walk this league.

He’s quickly becoming my favourite player. So composed on the ball. Sinisalo looks a brilliant find as well.

18 minutes ago, rb123! said:

http://www.tellhimhespele.com/the-boy-with-the-thorn-in-his-side/

Stumbled across this and jesus what a reminder of how far we've come

Actually a decent summary of his reign. I remember being so angry when his contract was renewed for 2014-15. We have come a long long way since then.

A great player for us but a dreadful manager. 

2 hours ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

You couldn't beat the banter era.

I actually probably enjoyed away games more back then. Going to places like Peterhead, Brechin and Forfar expecting to get turned over and only going for the bevy. 

I honestly think that the time under Mark Roberts made me extremely sceptical of our now manager, Mark Kerr. The Player-Manager view didn't work with Mark Roberts at all and he just tried to be 'one of the boys' all the time. I'm certain he used the players he was 'pally' with for signings 🙄 Scott Mclaughlan (can't spell his name) imperticular. 

Times have certainly changed though, Mark Kerr seems to be doing a great job in the time he's had, having an assistant that knows his stuff as well has certainly helped him. The players actually look up to the Standard we, as fans, expect. We are definitely a better team now 😊👍

He Ruined my view on Player-Managers though 🙄. Roberts not still playing at Hurlford or something? 

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I actually probably enjoyed away games more back then. Going to places like Peterhead, Brechin and Forfar expecting to get turned over and only going for the bevy. 

Same here actually, back when you could drink on the bus and it seemed more of a laugh.

The football took second place on awaydays back then.

1 hour ago, Roxanne's man said:

I honestly think that the time under Mark Roberts made me extremely sceptical of our now manager, Mark Kerr. The Player-Manager view didn't work with Mark Roberts at all and he just tried to be 'one of the boys' all the time. I'm certain he used the players he was 'pally' with for signings 🙄 Scott Mclaughlan (can't spell his name) imperticular. 

Times have certainly changed though, Mark Kerr seems to be doing a great job in the time he's had, having an assistant that knows his stuff as well has certainly helped him. The players actually look up to the Standard we, as fans, expect. We are definitely a better team now 😊👍

He Ruined my view on Player-Managers though 🙄. Roberts not still playing at Hurlford or something? 

Geordie "Black and White Army" Burley or Simon "The Hat" Stainrod ???

Don't know if anyone has commented on this, but I was extremely impressed with the keepers distribution yesterday which could add a further dimension to our play.

All in all, Sinisalo looked top class and could make us all forget about Doohan very quickly indeed.

Don't know if anyone has commented on this, but I was extremely impressed with the keepers distribution yesterday which could add a further dimension to our play.
All in all, Sinisalo looked top class and could make us all forget about Doohan very quickly indeed.

He had a great game and has looked good since signing. However, he’s young and it’s early days let’s not get carried away.

I thought his save from the snapshot by Dobbie in the second half was excellent. Typically, Dobbie hit it hard and it bounced in front of Sinisalo who held on to it confidently - could easily have bounced out and landed at the feet of any in-rushing attacker. He does look good but its early days and he's young and will doubtless have less enjoyable days. 

2 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Geordie "Black and White Army" Burley or Simon "The Hat" Stainrod ???

Ah, I'm not that old 😂 first Ayr manager I saw was Dalziel as a five year old. Though your right, there are probably worse than Roberts who have been at the helm of Ayr. 

3 hours ago, Roxanne's man said:

Roberts qualifications for being a manager were, he played for a few clubs and was a professional footballer for 20 years.

Like a lot of managers he was a "well kent face" who got a job simply by the fact he was at a club when the previous manager left.

Daziel was in a similar situation to Roberts. The difference in performance between the last game of Stainrods reign and Daziels was night and day, we started to play football. Daziel "progressed" from getting a great tune out of mediocre players to getting a mediocre tune out of great players and was hated by the majority of the support towards the end. Once players became fans favorites, Daziel seemed to fall out with them and they were gone.

Reid transformed a team destined for relegation in to a top 3 team almost within a month of taking over.  Reid made Ayr a yo-yo team when other managers around that time had made us a below average league one team.

Roberts took Reid's legacy and gradually made us worse. Cameron's naivety and Roberts inability could have turned Ayr in to a Stirling Albion or a Clyde, Both of whom were decent, well supported, established teams 20 years ago. The reliance on signing players who were a good laugh and fitted in, the team spirit over technical ability didn't work.

Robert's managerial legacy at Ayr is almost an accident. Signing dreadful midfielders meant Crawford getting a run in the team. He played Forrest out of necessity more than would have likely happened at any other time. The signing policy of Reid and Roberts was very much a case of hoping they would do a job for 6-8 months. Had we the same policy now, this summer we would have been looking at the same caliber of players that we free'd last summer. 

Ian McCall taking over at Ayr will be remembered in the future as as a pivotal moment  in Ayr's history in the same way the MacLeod era was. I don't think it is any coincidence that Ayr became a decent side when McCall took over. Cameron was a shrewd chairman, maybe too cautious. McCall was the manager of Morton during their crisis, Airdrie, Clydebank......If anyone knew how to get a team performing with no money it was McCall. I think his guidance helped Cameron over the last few years.

Kerr has a better footballing CV than Roberts and has a better educated owner now. The clubs philosophy appears to be that we look after the players in the hope that  they will be loyal to the club. It looks like we have a plan beyond the end of the current season.

McCardle is a different aspect than we have had before also. The signings over the last year have been in part good, like Walsh, obscure like the keeper or inspired like Chalmers. I don't remember any fan saying over the summer, I hope we sign Joe Chalmers, yet he has been absolute velvet since he signed.

The jury is still out on Kerr as a manager because he hasn't won anything or bettered anything we have achieved in recent times. Not getting to the play-offs would be seen as a  failure, finishing 3rd or 4th would be Meh. first or second would be a real success based on the amount of cash that was flung at the last time it happened. With a small squad it will be more challenging but after a year, I don't have the same reservations I did with Roberts.