The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 minutes ago, North British said:

Not so bad considering Accies have been pocketing £1million plus , in prize money for the last four or five years . Reading , Anderson and Walsh to come in so not a million miles away . Could do with more bodies in though , the youngsters ain’t going to turn games like today’s . 

Aye we need at least two in before Fridays deadline. We had no one on the bench who could come on and make a difference. 

Kerr very limited today.

Was a bit odd having McKenzie out right, wasn't really in the game, changed a lot when Luke moved over.  Was also surprised Dario was the main striker with Moff behind, all Dario's good work came when he dropped deeper. 

Thought we were good enough until we got our goal, we got into the point you would swap an attacking player or throw an extra one on and we had nobody there to bring on, we just kinda fell away while still asking questions.  

Still to get the first choice defence going as well, hopefully better once they are set. 

Full 90 for Murdoch but he is still looking a bit rusty, that will come. 

16 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Kerr very limited today.

Was a bit odd having McKenzie out right, wasn't really in the game, changed a lot when Luke moved over.  Was also surprised Dario was the main striker with Moff behind, all Dario's good work came when he dropped deeper. 

Thought we were good enough until we got our goal, we got into the point you would swap an attacking player or throw an extra one on and we had nobody there to bring on, we just kinda fell away while still asking questions.  

Still to get the first choice defence going as well, hopefully better once they are set. 

Full 90 for Murdoch but he is still looking a bit rusty, that will come. 

:thumsup2

Considering the build up to this game it looked like we did fairly well. Hamilton are league above with a decent squad and have been playing for months. Ideally we need to add a few bodies particularly a striker however all teams may have limited squads in the current climate. The good news is that Annan winning on Tuesday leaves us in a strong position to qualify. If I remember correctly it was a decent sum of cash for getting out the group and may help us strengthen 

Edited by AyrExile

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Taken from SPFL website: If clubs are level on points at the end of the group stage, the criteria for separating them is 1) goal difference, 2) goals scored, 3) away goals scored, 4) matches won, 5) away matches won, 6) drawing of lots.

Good stuff.  With the 2 home games v Stranraer and Annan left and already 3 ahead of Hamilton on goal difference you'd be pretty confident that wo wins would win us the group then.  

4 hours ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Pardon my ignorance but is watering a plastic pitch a hing?

Yes. Unless it's raining. Most plastic pitches are heavily watered before the game and again at half time.

2 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Surely it makes sense not to have club games scheduled during an international window? 

I know it's a squad game, but teams losing first team players through call ups places them at a disadvantage before a ball is even kicked.

Er, you do know there's an international pandemic on? The reason the covid postponed games are being awarded 3-0 is there are literally zero alternative dates to play these games. Likewise the Premiership sides are having to play without international players.

2 hours ago, HMIP said:

Or maybe there should be agreement not to take players from clubs involved in competitive matches.  The under 21s are a complete waste of time  anyway.

So we're picking the entire Scotland squad from Celtic, Rangers, Motherwell and Aberdeen then? And binning the 21's? Aye, that'll happen.

It is what it is. Clubs knew when they signed up for this cup this season what the position was and Ayr knew when they signed players in or around the international set up that they might lose them. Dundee United played today without Shankland and Chalmers, Hibs without Porteous, etc. etc. etc.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 hour ago, AyrExile said:

Considering the build up to this game it looked like we did fairly well. Hamilton are league above with a decent squad and have been playing for months. Ideally we need to add a few bodies particularly a striker however all teams may have limited squads in the current climate. The good news is that Annan winning on Tuesday leaves us in a strong position to qualify. If I remember correctly it was a decent sum of cash for getting out the group and may help us strengthen 

Thought after their beating by Annan on Tuesday that we’d have a chance today. 

Anyone know if it was a weakened squad they had playing that game?

14 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It is what it is. Clubs knew when they signed up for this cup this season what the position was and Ayr knew when they signed players in or around the international set up that they might lose them. Dundee United played today without Shankland and Chalmers, Hibs without Porteous, etc. etc. etc.

I generally agree with this. However, its one thing to know your player is called up six weeks before the fixture and entirely different on the same day.

I appreciate its not helped by the fixture congestion as a result of the truncated season but still pretty crap for the clubs concerned.

Edited by Trogdor

18 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Dundee United played today without Shankland and Chalmers, Hibs without Porteous, etc. etc. etc.

Thanks for comparing us with Dundee United and Hibs - I feel so much better now about today's result.

7 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I generally agree with this. However, its one thing to know your player is called up six weeks before the fixture and entirely different on the same day.

I appreciate its not helped by the fixture congestion as a result of the truncated season but still pretty crap for the clubs concerned.

Scot Gemmill named his squad on 23rd September, hardly six weeks, but I take the point and it's unfortunate, but late call ups are common place. Hibs also lost Paul McGinn this morning. Would you rather have not taken Bruce Anderson on loan and taken someone lesser who wouldn't have been called up?

Edited by Skyline Drifter

I'm not against Bruce getting a late call up, just shows what a couple days at the super can do for you, I'm against calling up on the day of a match or if that can't be avoided they could have his call up begin at full time, we were playing a  Premiership team so he was tested and he could have had his Scotland covid test after today's match. 

13 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Scot Gemmill named his squad on 23rd September, hardly six weeks, but I take the point and it's unfortunate, but late call ups are common place. Hibs also lost Paul McGinn this morning. Would you rather have not taken Bruce Anderson on loan and taken someone lesser who wouldn't have been called up?

I was going with the full national team but think I confused the nations league with play offs when saying six weeks. 

Of course I wouldn't want to loan someone else because of it. However, being called up on the day of a club match is a massive inconvenience. I dont quite understand why he couldn't have featured for us today and still joined up with the U21s.

I hope for Bruce's sake he gets on the field otherwise it will be a collosal waste of time for all concerned.

I get that late call ups happen its just the first time I've seen it so late.

Let’s just hope he scored a bucket load for the 21s comes back full of confidence and continues for us!

i agree it’s not ideal that he’s away and it shows how light we are up front(zanatta is not a striker) but I do think we will get another body in there and no doubt will be young and get called up too 

Does the buy rate for streams get published the same as normal attendances do? Would be interested to see the numbers.

Also was just thinking that if Kenna hadn't been injured there would have been 3 ex Ayr players in the Scotland squad, when was the last time we would have been close or bettered that?