The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

18 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

We don't stop people commuting to work in offices in Glasgow. I'm sure more people do that daily on the train or bus than would go the other way for the football. The traveling is a bit of a red herring for me. If you follow the guidance and the rules then surely the risk the same? The difference is that work is deemed essential or is more or a priority than attending football. That's not going to change and its hard to argue that it should frankly.

The salient point is that even if 500 fans were allowed in attendance it would probably cost the club money as they'd all be season tickets and we'd have match day expenses to pay. Its really all or nothing with attendances otherwise its not actually helping clubs.

They do stop people travelling to and from offices in Glasgow as they are saying work from home! 

the problem would be people walk around Somerset park and generally congregate together. I wouldn’t trust everyone to keep 2 metres apart and not sing etc! That’s the problem with opening ground even with smaller numbers, you will not get a steward to separate a crowd starting to gather 

27 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Maybe Finland have a lot of quality young goalkeepers but he isn’t in their U21 squad, a little worrying I’d say

No big deal I'd say it's better he's available for the Hamilton game.

Their current U21 No.1 is the son of Jussi Jaaskelainen so he has decent genes. He and the other GK in the squad are both 22 which is similar to the current Scotland U21 team with McCrorie/Doohan the same age.

Imagine they think he's better at 18 to play 90 mins for the U19's than to sit on the bench for the 21's.

Surprise we've gone with someone this young as I thought we'd go for a more experienced keeper to compliment Hare-Reid, but there isn't actually a lot to choose from in that area. hope it isn't too much of a culture shock for him but he's from Finland so  should be use to the adverse weather at least. I'm sure he's highly rated but I've heard that before for keepers, one things for sure is that he is going to be prone to a couple of howlers over the seasons so thank God there won't be any crowds there to exacerbate it Hart style.

32 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

They do stop people travelling to and from offices in Glasgow as they are saying work from home! 

Are they? About two weeks ago Boris and co were pushing people to go back to work. Also, its not the law, again its guidance. People are quick to judge individuals (ie. students) for not adhering to the guidelines but turn a blind eye to companies. I expect there are still more people commuting to Glasgow from Ayrshire than would go the other way for a football game. 

6 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Are they? About two weeks ago Boris and co were pushing people to go back to work. Also, its not the law, again its guidance. People are quick to judge individuals (ie. students) for not adhering to the guidelines but turn a blind eye to companies. I expect there are still more people commuting to Glasgow from Ayrshire than would go the other way for a football game. 

Do we live In England? No so the rules are set by the Scottish government who’s message was stay the f**k at home! Always has been and now they will start to fine business that unnecessarily have people in the office and will make it law if necessary 

10 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Do we live In England? No so the rules are set by the Scottish government who’s message was stay the f**k at home! Always has been and now they will start to fine business that unnecessarily have people in the office and will make it law if necessary 

The message has always been work from home, if possible. But it isn't always possible for a variety of reasons. I know of people who have to travel from Ayrshire to Glasgow drive days a week, using public transport. 

10 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

I think you've maybe been watching Janey Godley rather than Nicola Sturgeon. That's not been the SG's message throughout it was when we were in lockdown. However, since August it has been down to the business to ensure the working environment is safe and the work cant be done at home. Thats a matter of interpretation and as long as they are apart and wearing the correct PPE (if necessary) they can be in the office. The government can't determine if someone is unnecessarily in the office as the government (be it SG or local council) have no clue what every business is actually doing.

The fact remains even now more people commute to Glasgow daily than would to a football match the other way. I dont understand why you are arguing against that at all. Commuting is a red herring here.

8 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I think you've maybe been watching Janey Godley rather than Nicola Sturgeon. That's not been the SG's message throughout it was when we were in lockdown. However, since August it has been down to the business to ensure the working environment is safe and the work cant be done at home. Thats a matter of interpretation and as long as they are apart and wearing the correct PPE (if necessary) they can be in the office. The government can't determine if someone is unnecessarily in the office as the government (be it SG or local council) have no clue what every business is actually doing.

The fact remains even now more people commute to Glasgow daily than would to a football match the other way. I dont understand why you are arguing against that at all. Commuting is a red herring here.

It was supposed to be safety measures when you can’t work from home! I understand that  people have been commuting and coming to offices but the whole point is they shouldn’t have been!

if companies don’t follow the rules then what chance do we have? 

ETA the only government pushing folk back to work was Westminster! Check yhe message from the Scottish government the last 6 months 

Edited by ryanayr1987

2 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Say they only let locals attend. If someone wanted to go to the football but lived in Glasgow, they have a chance to buy a ticket but it is only people from say, a 10 mile radius of Ayr. What is to stop someone putting their old folks postcode for Doonfoot or Alloway in when buying a ticket. Repeat that at any club. 

Say 500 fans are allowed in, but the guidance is not to overcrowd public transport, how is this managed ?

How would you work out how many households groups of fans were from? Pubs and restaurants are struggling to do that with less than fifty folk. 

After the game, what is to stop all 500 of a crowd all heading to the pubs in Ayr?

If the guidance at the time is still the same, 10% of the capacity to allow social distancing, you have 400 at Stranraer, probably a normal crowd size, 1000 at Ayr, 1800 at Rusty Park, all the way up to 6000 at Celtic park. 

That still amounts to a lot of people that are not currently travelling on a Saturday afternoon. Even locally that is a high concentration of people funneling to one place. 

The current guidance and infection rate will not allow mass gatherings due to other restrictions being eased regardless of who is to blame. 

We've always assumed that the first stage of attendance at games would be season ticket holders  only, therefore the club would have a good idea of who was there. 

500 fans would not overcrowd public transport, travelling at different times from different directions. As it happens bus drivers can declare their vehicle to be full and refuse to pick up more passengers. Most would likely be local and walk or drive to Somerset anyway. As for the pubs, they have a legal duty to ensure that they are not overcrowded , and that is not related to football. It's something they have to do regardless.

As I have already stated it wouldn't look good if crowds were allowed in as the infection rate has started to increase. But there has been no proper communication from the authorities.

2 hours ago, itzdrk said:

I didn't present it misleadingly, I mentioned Ayr fans traveling to Ayr.  We don't all live in Ayr. 

I wasn't referring to your comment, it was something I had seen a few times elsewhere. The point is that folk can travel about for work, shopping,leisure currently. There are no restrictions on travel. There is no disputing that compared to other businesses, spectator sports have had a raw deal. It's more than a little disappointing that neither the Scottish Government nor the Joint Response Group has made a statement directly to supporters on this matter.

3 hours ago, Trogdor said:

I see the EPL is considering financial support for EFL clubs. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54298842

I'm not sure if this helps or hinders any case for additional government support for Scottish football.

Good luck getting Rangers and Celtic to do that! 

They believe Scottish Football only exists because of them

5 hours ago, rb123! said:

Good luck getting Rangers and Celtic to do that! 

They believe Scottish Football only exists because of them

Don't Celtic have a rather healthy bank account? A relatively small sum from them could help quite a few clubs.

8 hours ago, Trogdor said:

That's just not true :lol:

Edited by itzdrk

I think a few are getting too hung up on the keepers age, rather than potential and current ability. Give me this guy over a Jamie McDonald any day. We’ve had some great young loan signings over the past few seasons, no reason he can’t be another one. I do agree that I hope Hare-Reid gets a few cup games. He’ll not be loaned out as they 2 are our only senior team keepers. 

I would say we now have a squad that is ready for the start of the season, we do still need to add a first team striker and maybe bolster our attacking options in midfield, but I’d say numbers and quality wise we have a top 4 teams on our hands, hopefully. 

1 hour ago, itzdrk said:

That's just not true :lol:

I think you might need to read what I said and replied to more carefully. I was disagreeing with the stay at home at all circumstances. You've just proved my point if anything. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Trogdor

50 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I think you might need to read what I said and replied to more carefully. I was disagreeing with the stay at home at all circumstances. You've just proved my point if anything. 🤷‍♂️

No but her message on every single briefing was please work from home if you can!  It’s not her fault that businesses decided to ignore guidance.

I believe we will get crowds in at some point this season but I also believe we will go into another lockdown where pubs and restaurants  will close again. Hopefully we will be able to let the season continue during that and we can all stream games while we can’t get in

19 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

No but her message on every single briefing was please work from home if you can!  It’s not her fault that businesses decided to ignore guidance.

Good grief. I dont think I ever said it was her fault. 🤣

I have no interest in debating the SG's performance in handling the pandemic. Its unprecedented and actually hard to judge objectively let alone without the benefit of hindsight.