The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Which is fine. Joe Chalmers, like Jack Baird before him, is a decent enough signing at this level and I'd absolutely have taken both of them at QoS. It's not by any stretch of the imagination a "pedigree signing" as was built up though. He's not even your best coup of the last few weeks (that would be Walsh).
And it's another 2 year deal for a player with no significant resale value in current circumstances. Ayr have clearly decided that Covid will not be a factor for long.
I really don't get the hate of the two year deal thinklg Ayr are doing the correct thing by players and hopefully keeping the nucleus of a squad for the next few seasons, also other players will see that we have stood by the squad when it came to furlough and are now giving security to players l, when it comes down to the nitty gritty a player may take less wages for a two year deal than a one year deal meaning we are getting a better quality of player in.

Which is fine. Joe Chalmers, like Jack Baird before him, is a decent enough signing at this level and I'd absolutely have taken both of them at QoS. It's not by any stretch of the imagination a "pedigree signing" as was built up though. He's not even your best coup of the last few weeks (that would be Walsh).
And it's another 2 year deal for a player with no significant resale value in current circumstances. Ayr have clearly decided that Covid will not be a factor for long.

Really don’t think it’s that big a deal how the signing was built up. The majority of Ayr fans will be happy with this signing.

In response to your second point it’s more likely the directors and chairman have decided that they’ll commit to these two year deals regardless of COVID. Clearly realise there’s a chance to take advantage here and build a team for promotion maybe not this year but for next season.

Anyone know what sturgeon has said at start of her briefing about football. Just turned it on and they're talking about the St Mirren cases etc

*just realised it's to do with an out break at Hamilton accies, not good for Scottish football....

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

If Kerr thought he was worth it and the budget allowed it after a keeper and striker, what about a punt on Calvin Miller? Plays anywhere up the left and anywhere across the front line. 

Hopefully not Miller. I thought he was very mediocre during his loan spell here. One of the papers a few weeks ago said it was practically a done deal that he was going to a club in France. Maybe they watched “highlights” from his time with us

Seems a solid signing and not one to normally get excited about. Worth noting this season should  be somewhat different and  the standard far from the usual level. Much depends on what other teams can afford in terms of quality and having enough in reserve should covid or injuries hit. This may turn out to be a better signing than it looks tbh 

See Ross Docherty has taken up a coaching role with the Partick Thistle's women team alongside Richard Foster and Brian Graham as the manager. 
Bit strange, never imaged Docherty as the coaching type tbh 

I’m sure Steven Bell did a Q&A for the match programme one week and when asked what teammate would go onto manage he said Docherty. But you’re right, he never seemed the type from watching him on the pitch.

4 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Seems a solid signing and not one to normally get excited about. Worth noting this season should  be somewhat different and  the standard far from the usual level. Much depends on what other teams can afford in terms of quality and having enough in reserve should covid or injuries hit. This may turn out to be a better signing than it looks tbh 

We seem to have replaced our departed stars with pretty much like for like (on paper) but added some additional quality in the form of Walsh and of course got Murdoch back which is almost like a new signing.

If we can get a keeper in that's not too much of a downgrade on Doohan and an additional striker then I'll be over the moon with our business.

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

Just thinking back about "new signings", the one I always remembered and that I was really excited about was the ill fated Stevie Cooper from Airdrie, I always thought he was a cracking player and was over the moon when we signed him, however he got injured in pre season and never actually kicked a ball for us and of he sadly passed away just a couple of years later in a freak accident in his home.

Then there was the wee striker (forgot his name) who I really rated who we got in on loan from St Johnstone and he lasted a whole 14 minutes before getting a bad injury and never being seen again.

On the fanfare but easy to forget category had to be Mark Duthie who had looked like a world beater when playing against us but once signed looked like he was playing with a square ball !!

Yes, the highs and lows of the transfer market indeed.

Mark Duthie then went on to sign for us, did he not?  Left back, light hair, very quick if I recall correctly?  I quite liked him.

3 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Mark Duthie then went on to sign for us, did he not?  Left back, light hair, very quick if I recall correctly?  I quite liked him.

He played as a left sided attacker for Livi and looked a real player, if i remember correctly Liv owed Barr about £60k and we got Duthie in return for writing off the debt, however he was really poor with us and was a shadow of the player who had always caused us trouble when playing against us.

You're right though, that was definitely him.

26 minutes ago, Handofdavid said:

I got the feeling that Mark Duthie didn’t want to come to Ayr, and only a large financial incentive brought him to us. Was a complete waste of a shirt when he did arrive.

Yes, I'd totally agree with this.