The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Michael Paton is actually younger than I thought and I really liked him when he was at Dunfermline. No idea what he was like last season and I would’ve thought we could do a bit better.

Still, if he signs he should hopefully get a fair chance.

36 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Nah I’ve no clue who that is.

But I was talking about the one on the left in this picture.

IMG_1134.jpg

Hi,

The player on the left(wearing the tights under shorts/trousers) looks very much like Dario Zanatta to me. He had a similar haircut/beard when I saw him at Firhill a few weeks ago when he was collecting boots etc. I spent enough time photographing him last year that I'm about 80% sure it is Dario, especially when looking at the full photo - there is noone else I'd think is Dario.

On Reece Cole, he has been on trial with Grimsby Town this week, having previously been with Swindon Town last week, and is due to be a Southend United next week. Obviously it is possible that he signed last night but I'm fairly sure it isn't him in the photo otherwise you'd possibly be doing signing publicity around him today rather than Monday(from the sounds of it, and with the benefit of experience, it seems like the player isn't scheduled to be in Ayr/Scotland until Monday hence the delay). 

37 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Michael Paton is actually younger than I thought and I really liked him when he was at Dunfermline. No idea what he was like last season and I would’ve thought we could do a bit better.

The guy in that photo certainly isn't Michael Paton.

16 minutes ago, South Lanarkshire Jag said:

Hi,

The player on the left(wearing the tights under shorts/trousers) looks very much like Dario Zanatta to me. He had a similar haircut/beard when I saw him at Firhill a few weeks ago when he was collecting boots etc. I spent enough time photographing him last year that I'm about 80% sure it is Dario, especially when looking at the full photo - there is noone else I'd think is Dario.

On Reece Cole, he has been on trial with Grimsby Town this week, having previously been with Swindon Town last week, and is due to be a Southend United next week. Obviously it is possible that he signed last night but I'm fairly sure it isn't him in the photo otherwise you'd possibly be doing signing publicity around him today rather than Monday(from the sounds of it, and with the benefit of experience, it seems like the player isn't scheduled to be in Ayr/Scotland until Monday hence the delay). 

Too much beard for Dario, this photo was last week. 

0_GFMP_SDR_040920-Ayr-united-training-44.jpg

40 minutes ago, rb123! said:

The real question is though, is Reece Cole following the club on twitter???

39 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Yes

Has been for a couple weeks now.

Wasn't gonna mention it but as of today so does Michael Paton's partner.

It's actually the only reason I decided it was him in the photo.

53 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I think Paton had an undistinguished spell at Dumbarton and followed it up with a similar spell at QoS.  We were short of players, had to build a new squad fairly quickly, Johnston had managed Paton before and he was available so we signed him.  He can have moments of brilliance or he can send every pass to an opposition player. He can deliver a good cross into the box. I'd be surprised if he's the type of player Ayr would look at if they're looking to have another crack at the top four. 

54 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I think Paton had an undistinguished spell at Dumbarton and followed it up with a similar spell at QoS.  We were short of players, had to build a new squad fairly quickly, Johnston had managed Paton before and he was available so we signed him.  He can have moments of brilliance or he can send every pass to an opposition player. He can deliver a good cross into the box. I'd be surprised if he's the type of player Ayr would look at if they're looking to have another crack at the top four. 

Paton's spell at Dumbarton didn't work out for whatever reason. Personally I thought he got a rougher time than he deserved last season with us. He did ok. He wasn't as good as he was in his first spell but he wasn't awful either and at least gave us a bit of inventiveness and willingness to try a pass when he was on the pitch. It didn't always work and he was nowhere near an automatic starter, probably more "12th man". "Undistinguished" is probably fair enough as a description but he did ok. Some of our fans had him written off before they even saw him.

The thing about Paton is injuries have seen him lose the blistering pace that was probably his best asset in his younger days. I doubt he's a regular starter for a Championship full time side now but he could do a job in a squad.

7 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

deserved last season with us. He did ok. He wasn't as good as he was in his first spell but he wasn't awful either and at least gave us a bit of inventiveness and willingness to try a pass when he was on the pitch. It didn't always work and he was nowhere near an automatic starter, probably more "12th man". "Undistinguished" is probably fair enough as a description but he did ok. Some of our fans had him written off before they even saw him.

The thing about Paton is injuries have seen him lose the blistering pace that was probably his best asset in his younger days. I doubt he's a regular starter for a Championship full time side now but he could do a job in a squad.

Thing is we’re two or three players : keeper , centre forward and perhaps a left side central midfield player , that is about 6ft 2in tall and has a good  pedigree  and can cover left back away from our first 11. Our bench will require guys like Paton who can come on and do a job while not costing the earth .