The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

13 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Off the top of my head he conceded 5 away to both QoS and Hibs which wipes out almost half of those clean sheets so it's probably around right.    

Was the Hibs game not when we were in League 1? I’m sure that was part of the 100+ goal season, as we scooshed through our group only to wind up away to Hibs as they had been in Europe. 

56 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Was the Hibs game not when we were in League 1? I’m sure that was part of the 100+ goal season, as we scooshed through our group only to wind up away to Hibs as they had been in Europe. 

Correct. Jordan Hart was the goalie in that match.

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

McCrorie has the joint worst goals conceded record in the top flight and is sitting bottom of the league. Surely he’s not quite ready for international football? Liam Kelly, Jon McLaughlin and David Marshall are surely the obvious 3?

Would have the Olympiakos keeper in before those guys.

Yup right enough - my mistake.   Got the 5-0 Hibs and the 4-0 Rangers defeats mixed up.    

That Hibs one was a right pisser indeed - skoosh the group and go through as a seeded team and get rewarded with Hibs away. 

Going by transfer market, Ross Doohan has played 80 senior matches for Ayr and conceded 90 goals. McCrorie has played 61 senior games for Berwick, Morton, QOS and Livi conceding 80. Not sure on the reliability of these stats as that seems very high for both, Doohan particularly considering he kept 20 odd clean sheets in his first season. 

Had a quick scan there (sad enough to have a spreadsheet of our games and scorers) and since Doohan signed we've played 81 and conceded 91.   I know he missed Wrexham away game which was 1-1 so assuming that was the only one then the figures ur quoting must be spot on .       We've scored 123 in that same period so it's nice to see it's a positive goal difference overall!  

2 hours ago, callum-ayr said:

McCrorie has the joint worst goals conceded record in the top flight and is sitting bottom of the league. Surely he’s not quite ready for international football? Liam Kelly, Jon McLaughlin and David Marshall are surely the obvious 3?

I tend to agree. He's not ready for international football and he's not fully settled at Livingston yet it seems. Their fans are not massively convinced by him. However, he is a very good prospect and the 3rd keeper isn't going to play so there might be merit in taking him along for experience as much as anything. Personally I don't particularly rate Liam Kelly and it took him until January to win the starting position at QPR. He played pretty much up to the lockdown and immediately after it but then lost his place and didn't play the last 6 or 7 games. I'm not a great fan of McLaughlin either but he's currently playing for Rangers and yet to concede a goal so he's going to get in. Marshall will inevitably start.

To be honest there aren't massively better options for the 3rd keeper. Celtic, Hibs, Dundee Utd, St Mirren, Aberdeen, St Johnstone (Currently), Motherwell and Kilmarnock are all playing non Scots in goal. Zander Clark is injured. Ross Laidlaw is a career backup having a brief stint in the limelight at County. I've never even heard of the Hamilton keeper till I looked him up! It's probably why there's been a bit of speculation that Craig Gordon might be called up again.

It's not necessarily the goalkeeper's fault that his club are bottom of the league following a difficult start. Other than the Hibs game I don't think they've been awful.

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

I think you'll need to show your workings there.the simpsons episode 21 GIF

Yeah, I doubt he will be called up to the full squad just yet. He's not far off it though. Playing regularly in the Premiership puts him in with a shout. 

Well inevitably it's about opinions but most people appear to reckon McCrorie is the better and even D'Jaffo above conceded he was better last season. Doohan appeared to go backwards a bit last season. I know The Dundee United keeper took the SPFL vote but that was clearly skewed by lots of Dundee United fans voting. I think generally McCrorie won most other goalkeeper of the season debates at this level, and he left in January (though the shortened season mitigated that).

I'm assuming you didn't mean the bit about Doohan probably being better than Laidlaw?

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Going by transfer market, Ross Doohan has played 80 senior matches for Ayr and conceded 90 goals. McCrorie has played 61 senior games for Berwick, Morton, QOS and Livi conceding 80. Not sure on the reliability of these stats as that seems very high for both, Doohan particularly considering he kept 20 odd clean sheets in his first season. 

I've done a quick calculation, and the stats for Doohan are correct.

For me McCrorie is slightly ahead of Doohan at this moment in time however both are solid lower half of the premiership goalkeepers with the potential to go higher in Scotland or down south. FWIW I don’t think either will make it at the Old firm. 

Queens fans will say McCrorie, Ayr fans will say Doohan. The truth is nobody actually knows the answer, it's all subjective. 

The old saying about a goalkeeper only being as good as the players in front of him is so accurate. 

Reliability, consistency, and the ability to pull off the unexpected saves only scratch the surface when analysing a goalkeepers worth and value to their team. Throw into the mix dealing with passbacks, overall distribution, general footwork, agility, and it shows how extremely difficult it is to judge a goalkeepers actual technical ability. 

For sure, clean sheets and goals conceded are definitely not a fair barometer in judging the actual abilities of a modern day goalkeeper. 

Edited by BukyOHare

I didn’t see much evidence that Doohan went backwards last season, though I would of course concede he made some basic errors which you’re always likely to get with a young keeper.  The real issue I suspect was our defence going backward - Rose and Smith were arguably the best centre back and full backs in the division the previous season and were big losses - coupled with Bell being another year older, it definitely made us a bit more vulnerable.  
Added to that Roscoe and. Muirhead were absolute bomb scares at times which doesn’t help a young keepers confidence.  We were also missing Crawford and Murdoch’s hard work in the middle of the park which probably left the back 4 more exposed at times.

It probably makes Doohan come off worse tbh. Doohan has been playing in a good top half Ayr side so you'd imagine he is facing less shots on a weekly basis. McCrorie was in a relegation cannon fodder side in us, Morton will have likely been bottom half dross and I expect Berwick were down there as well. I can't be bothered checking but given neither of those sides have come close to being top half in some time I'm pretty sure it's accurate. So he'll have been facing more shots every week. Not bad stats for him considering this.
Queens fans will say McCrorie, Ayr fans will say Doohan. The truth is nobody actually knows the answer, it's all subjective. 
The old saying about a goalkeeper only being as good as the players in front of him is so accurate. 
Reliability, consistency, and the ability to pull off the unexpected saves only scratch the surface when analysing a goalkeepers worth and value to their team. Throw into the mix dealing with passbacks, overall distribution, general footwork, agility, and it shows how extremely difficult it is to judge a goalkeepers actual technical ability. 
For sure, clean sheets and goals conceded are definitely not a fair barometer in judging the actual abilities of a modern day goalkeeper. 
Tbf it'd be a bit strange for any QoS fan to be 'talking up' Doohan unless they get to more Ayr games. In the 7 games* against us he's conceded 12 goals. Out with the goals he hasn't really been tested by ourselves. I can recall a good couple of saves in the last game at Somerset but apart from that he's had a quiet game. Add in the tv games of Ayr that I've watched Doohan hasn't covered himself in glory it's a no brainer for me that I don't rate Doohan.

Obviously he is a good goalkeeper who should have a bright future. He just seems to be one of those players who doesn't show how good he is against us. Shankland was exactly the same.

* Again,I can't be bothered checking the line-ups but I'm sure he was in goal for the last 2 seasons' games.

I think McCrorie probably overtook Doohan last season. 

Doohan was imperious in his first season with us and was in front of McCrorie then. He was outstanding from cross balls that season too - his confidence seemed to disappear in terms of this at times last season but I’m sure he’ll get that back. 

Doohan will learn stuff this season he hasn't had the chance to yet, he's been an ever present for two years and never had to fight for a place or just he waiting for an opportunity to show what he can do, he'll get his chance eventually.  This will do him lots of good down the line.  

8 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Doohan will learn stuff this season he hasn't had the chance to yet, he's been an ever present for two years and never had to fight for a place or just he waiting for an opportunity to show what he can do, he'll get his chance eventually.  This will do him lots of good down the line.  

The Ayr United Da’s don’t see it that way. 

1 minute ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Robbo63 have you been lying to us about good news coming today? 

Ffs :lol:

Everything is a rumour until it is signed and sealed, remember Shankland nearly binned his career leaving McCall in a car park. 

Edited by itzdrk