The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

3 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

It’ll all depend on how much money we can save on loans. If we’re shrewd then we could maybe push a 4th signing but Kerr will hopefully be keeping money back for January.

This is a strange one for me. There seem to be an awful lot of people at a lot of clubs assuming that loans will be plentiful now we can have 6 and either free or cheap. That may well end up the case but I am sceptical. In my experience loans, if anywhere near 1st team starting quality, tend not to be much cheaper than employing your own player unless the parent club are really desperate for the player to get game time they cant give him. And players of that level are going to be more scarce with 9 subs in the top division, not 7. 

Also with our top division sides facing months without crowds and big wages I am far from convinced they wont be looking for full wage coverage for those players they are prepared to let out on loan. 

We shall see I guess.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

This is a strange one for me. There seem to be an awful lot of people at a lot of clubs assuming that loans will be plentiful now we can have 6 and either free or cheap. That may well end up the case but I am sceptical. In my experience loans, if anywhere near 1st team starting quality, tend not to be much cheaper than employing your own player unless the parent club are really desperate for the player to get game time they cant give him. And players of that level are going to be more scarce with 9 subs in the top division, not 7. 
Also with our top division sides facing months without crowds and big wages I am far from convinced they wont be looking for full wage coverage for those players they are prepared to let out on loan. 
We shall see I guess.

I think a lot of our loans will be from England where the Premier League teams have already voted against the larger benches and more substitutes. I’d imagine the EFL clubs will follow suit meaning there will be a lot of youngsters needing first team football.

Even loans from the OF teams like Josh McPake for example. I’ve no idea how much he’ll be earning weekly but Gerrard will be desperate to get him out on loan given how much he rates him. We may only have to pay a percentage of his wages given how well we did in looking after Stephen Kelly.

Josh McPake signing would make that midfield tasty AF

Most glaring omission from squad still though is no real goalscorer. Jury was still out for me tbh on how many Drinan would be able to score in a season, really hope Moore can hit the ground running this season. The boy deserves it, had nothing but bad luck ever since that night Webster knocked him out cold up at St Mirren.

Edited by rb123!

First impression is that Walsh is a very good signing. Always impressed when I saw him. 

When Miller was with us I thought he did OK. He came with a good reputation following a few good performances for Dumbarton but didn't really reach that level for us. He got a bit of stick from ton fans and seemed nervous at times. He did always give 100% and there were flashes of a player in there. I'm sure he scored a couple of cracking goals too. 

5 hours ago, rb123! said:

Josh McPake signing would make that midfield tasty AF

Most glaring omission from squad still though is no real goalscorer. Jury was still out for me tbh on how many Drinan would be able to score in a season, really hope Moore can hit the ground running this season. The boy deserves it, had nothing but bad luck ever since that night Webster knocked him out cold up at St Mirren.

He was injury prone before then! He was injured for a year before he joined us on loan I’m sure

2 hours ago, ryanayr1987 said:

He was injury prone before then! He was injured for a year before he joined us on loan I’m sure

He was out with a cruciate ligament injury was he not.

He’s always been made of glass. 

I'm really pleased for Mikey Miller getting another good full-time gig. He really was excellent for us when he was very young in an outstanding Dumbarton team, including putting in an top class performance at Pittodrie after Mark McLaughlin dislocated his shoulder a week earlier.

I was surprised he didn't really kick on at Morton, and then assumed he'd been lost to the game for good before he surfaced at Brechin City a couple of seasons ago. Fitness seems to be a real issue, but keep him firing and with the right management I reckon you could have a very solid player on your hands.

Tom Walsh can be as good as he wants to be. But you'll know him well enough from his time with ICT.