The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

8 minutes ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

Apparently Miller scored 6 goals last season, so maybe a central midfielder who can score goals will be a huge bonus. 

I thought he only got 5, one in the cup, 4 in the league. Scored 3 times against Peterhead over two fixtures.

All from right back, I'd hasten to add.

Edited by renton

2 minutes ago, renton said:

I thought he only got 5, one in the cup, 4 in the league. Scored 3 times against Peterhead over two fixtures.

All from right back, I'd hasten to add.

Better or worse than Grant Gillespie?

I can really see this guy being used more as right back/centre back cover.

I don’t think Kerr is going to play two defensive midfielders together. One will need to be able to get forward while Murdoch sits back.

7 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Better or worse than Grant Gillespie?

Gillespie occasionally filled in at right back for us, but was more exclusively a centre mid. Miller certainly offered more use over the season. Good arial presence, so good to have in and around set pieces.

Started well for us, but kinda faded - maybe a side effect of it being his longest continual run of games  in a few years. In terms of his actual playing style, he wasn't exactly a modern right back, and would get the ball out wide, advance towards his opposite number, turn around and play the ball back into the middle. 

Given McGlynn's insistence on playing out from the back last season, it made us very lop sided and heavily dependent on our left back getting up and down to start attacks. It says something that Dave McKay, plating right back and converted from a centre back was far more game about trying to get himself in behind on the overlap.

I dunno, he looked fine technically, made the odd rash challenge as a right back, but didn't offer enough in attack, is tall and strong enough to be worth having around penalty boxes, but had we a more natural right back last season I wouldn't have had him displacing any of our starting centre mids to keep him in the team.

5 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Worse than Gillespie at centre mid. Better than Gillespie at right back. 

... and Gillespie was not exactly outstanding there.

I can only think of Miller playing 45 mins at CM (home to Falkirk, 2-0 down at HT) and he may as well have not been there. Game totally passed him by. Pretty good at right back though. Bearing in mind we played most games on the front foot he wasn’t exactly a rampaging full back and I think that frustrated McGlynn a bit. Reasonable but not amazing at going forward, solid at defending is what you get.

I thought we’d keep him but wasn’t exactly heartbroken when we didn’t. Think he’s based in the West so it’s entirely possible he chose to leave, rather than released as presumed.

He was definitely part-time with us though. Are Ayr a hybrid set-up, or will he be going full-time?

13 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I can really see this guy being used more as right back/centre back cover.

I don’t think Kerr is going to play two defensive midfielders together. One will need to be able to get forward while Murdoch sits back.

Surely in a 4-2-3-1 formation (which I’ve decided were playing next season so no arguments) both the centre mids will be required to sit back while the front 3 buzz about each other?

Surely in a 4-2-3-1 formation (which I’ve decided were playing next season so no arguments) both the centre mids will be required to sit back while the front 3 buzz about each other?

I’m thinking more along the lines of how Kerr would play. Didn’t necessarily score goals but was always involved in the build up and created chances. I think we’ll probably get a loan in to play that role.

5 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

What I was thinking.  Based on personnel just now you're maybe looking at McCowan / Zannatta / Walsh behind Moore or Moff?  

12 minutes ago, Paco said:

I can only think of Miller playing 45 mins at CM (home to Falkirk, 2-0 down at HT) and he may as well have not been there. Game totally passed him by. Pretty good at right back though. Bearing in mind we played most games on the front foot he wasn’t exactly a rampaging full back and I think that frustrated McGlynn a bit. Reasonable but not amazing at going forward, solid at defending is what you get.

I thought we’d keep him but wasn’t exactly heartbroken when we didn’t. Think he’s based in the West so it’s entirely possible he chose to leave, rather than released as presumed.

He was definitely part-time with us though. Are Ayr a hybrid set-up, or will he be going full-time?

Since we went full time we have always had a couple part time players

Hart & Adams before and Bell has been since he joined, entirely possible he's part time, especially if he is signed for cover. 

6 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’m thinking more along the lines of how Kerr would play. Didn’t necessarily score goals but was always involved in the build up and created chances. I think we’ll probably get a loan in to play that role.

That's what Murdoch will be doing I'd have thought. 

53 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

In the 2017/18 season when Shankland was out for a few weeks and our form dipped, a guy at my work who doesn't follow Ayr commented that we were struggling because Shankland was out. I said we missed Kerr more, we had a midfield that couldn't pass a ball forward with Crawford and Docherty and Kerr could still dictate a game at that level. You wanted Docherty or the center halfs to win the ball and give it to him to deal with. 

We will probably miss him more than a lot of the players that have left this season.