The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Not a suggestion for Somerset as such but a Czech team newly promoted to the top flight have a decent junior standard ground, a capacity of 3000, mostly terrace, their ground reminds me of Glenaftons or a lower grade Stair Park. 

http://fkpardubice.cz/news/7801/Poradatelum-i-divakum-patri-podekovani-vzkazuje-sportovni-manazer.html

They are improving their stadium to increase the capacity to 5000 while staying within the boundaries of the current stadium. They are getting around the access problems by having the stands raised to roughly the same height as the original main stand allowing for facilities beneath. 

Just out of interest - thought I’d go through the squad as it is and look at where everyone can play to see how much cover we have.

Right back:

Jordan Houston
Michael Hewitt
Patrick Reading
Aaron Muirhead*

Centre back:

Sam Roscoe
Steven Bell
Aaron Muirhead

Left back:

Patrick Reading
Finn Ecrepont

Central midfield:

Andy Murdoch
Mark Kerr
Aaron Muirhead
Steven Bell*

Wide/attacking midfield:

Luke McCowan
Dario Zanatta

Forward:

Michael Moffat
Craig Moore
Mark McKenzie
Dario Zanatta*

* means it’s unlikely they’ll be played there but I thought I’d include them anyway.

Obviously we still need a couple of keepers. We look fine at full back. Another centre half would be nice but I have a feeling we’ll go with what we have and hope Roscoe pushes on like Rose did, although if one of them gets injured it doesn’t give us much room for comfort. We’d definitely need another if we want to play Muirhead in midfield again.

Think we need another two centre mids at least especially if Kerr isn’t wanting to play every game. Another winger/attacking mid or two needed as well - although one is probably fine if we’re planning on utilising a striker out wide like we did at times with the 4-3-3 last season. Be good to see Drinan come back as well.

After looking at that I’d be more tempted to see Geggan kept on as he gives us cover in several positions and I think he’s a good option at right mid if we’re playing a 4-4-2. Just wish he could stay clear of the injuries.

31 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Just out of interest - thought I’d go through the squad as it is and look at where everyone can play to see how much cover we have.

Right back:

Jordan Houston
Michael Hewitt
Patrick Reading
Aaron Muirhead*

Centre back:

Sam Roscoe
Steven Bell
Aaron Muirhead

Left back:

Patrick Reading
Finn Ecrepont

Central midfield:

Andy Murdoch
Mark Kerr
Aaron Muirhead
Steven Bell*

Wide/attacking midfield:

Luke McCowan
Dario Zanatta

Forward:

Michael Moffat
Craig Moore
Mark McKenzie
Dario Zanatta*

* means it’s unlikely they’ll be played there but I thought I’d include them anyway.

Obviously we still need a couple of keepers. We look fine at full back. Another centre half would be nice but I have a feeling we’ll go with what we have and hope Roscoe pushes on like Rose did, although if one of them gets injured it doesn’t give us much room for comfort. We’d definitely need another if we want to play Muirhead in midfield again.

Think we need another two centre mids at least especially if Kerr isn’t wanting to play every game. Another winger/attacking mid or two needed as well - although one is probably fine if we’re planning on utilising a striker out wide like we did at times with the 4-3-3 last season. Be good to see Drinan come back as well.

After looking at that I’d be more tempted to see Geggan kept on as he gives us cover in several positions and I think he’s a good option at right mid if we’re playing a 4-4-2. Just wish he could stay clear of the injuries.

Where's the goals coming from? 

We’ve still got another striker and an attacking midfielder to come in.

I’d be expecting McCowan to up his numbers and get close to 10 in the league with Zanatta, Moore and Moffat chipping in.

I still think if we get a full season out of Drinan then he’ll score goals and depending on what other attacking player we bring in he’ll have to chip in with a few as well.

17 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Weighing up what's gone v what's come in in goals: 

Ross Docherty: 2 - Andy Murdoch likely to match

Alan Forrest: 10 - Dario Zanatta likely to be within 3 given previous seasons, if McCowan adds a couple more than last year he will have been replaced. 

Daniel Harvie: 1 - If Reading does not replicate this it is not concerning. 

Stephen Kelly: 6 - to be replaced. 

Connor Malley: 1 - to be replaced but if replacement doesn't add one goal it will be no concern. 

Aaron Drinan: 2 - to be replaced, strikers still here will surpass this number. 

Maybe out:

Andy Geggan: 1 - no concern. 

Grant Gillespie: 0 - no concern. 

-

Kelly is the one who is most vital to replace goals wise IMO. 

7 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Weighing up what's gone v what's come in in goals: 

Ross Docherty: 2 - Andy Murdoch likely to match

Alan Forrest: 10 - Dario Zanatta likely to be within 3 given previous seasons, if McCowan adds a couple more than last year he will have been replaced. 

Daniel Harvie: 1 - If Reading does not replicate this it is not concerning. 

Stephen Kelly: 6 - to be replaced. 

Connor Malley: 1 - to be replaced but if replacement doesn't add one goal it will be no concern. 

Aaron Drinan: 2 - to be replaced, strikers still here will surpass this number. 

Maybe out:

Andy Geggan: 1 - no concern. 

Grant Gillespie: 0 - no concern. 

-

Kelly is the one who is most vital to replace goals wise IMO. 

That’s all very well but we never replaced  Shankland with anybody , not even someone who could get half his goal tally ! 

3 minutes ago, North British said:

That’s all very well but we never replaced  Shankland with anybody , not even someone who could get half his goal tally ! 

And didn’t finish in any worse off position wise in the league 

Just now, North British said:

We did replace Shankland though, we aren't in a position we can take a guy who scored 34 goals out and bring in one that will score the same, we found a way to better spread goals around rather than relying on one guy. 

We went from scoring 50 when he was here (in the league) to 38 with 8 less games, we would have got pretty close to that 50. 

4 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

We did replace Shankland though, we aren't in a position we can take a guy who scored 34 goals out and bring in one that will score the same, we found a way to better spread goals around rather than relying on one guy. 

We went from scoring 50 when he was here (in the league) to 38 with 8 less games, we would have got pretty close to that 50. 

We were actually on track to score a whole 0.67 of a goal more!

Lesson learned with shankland in that it isn't good to rely on just one player to score goals, but we all got caught up in the hype. When he got injured roundabout January, in both seasons I think, you felt just how much everyone relied on him.

8 hours ago, callum-ayr said:

The minute that County team was announced all the Ayr Utd da’s were out in force. It’s a 38 game season. Doohan only signed a few days previous. They’re not our players, just get on with it :lol:

I find discussing our recent former players far more relevant / interesting than discussing the quality of south ayrshire takeaways, each to their own though I suppose.